Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Luongo to Toronto:

To: Toronto

Roberto Luongo, Chris Tanev, and Kyle Okposo

To: Brooklyn

Nikolai Kulemin, Keith Ballard, Mason Raymond +3rd Pick from TO and Van

To Vancouver:

Josh Bailey, Jake Gardiner +2nd round pick from Brooklyn and Toronto.

2nd deal: The Flip

To Anaheim; Jake Gardiner and Brooklyn + TO's 2nd round picks.

To Vancouver: Luca Sbisa and Anaheim's 1st round pick.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Bailey-Hansen

Malhotra-Lappierre-Pinnozotto

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Sbisa-Alberts/K-Conn

Schneider

Lack

Luongo to Toronto:

To: Toronto

Roberto Luongo, Chris Tanev, and Kyle Okposo

To: Brooklyn

Nikolai Kulemin, Keith Ballard, Mason Raymond +3rd Pick from TO and Van

To Vancouver:

Josh Bailey, Jake Gardiner +2nd round pick from Brooklyn and Toronto.

2nd deal: The Flip

To Anaheim; Jake Gardiner and Brooklyn + TO's 2nd round picks.

To Vancouver: Luca Sbisa and Anaheim's 1st round pick.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Bailey-Hansen

Malhotra-Lappierre-Pinnozotto

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Sbisa-Alberts/K-Conn

Schneider

Lack

Luongo, Tanev, Raymond and Ballard

for

Gardiner and Bailey

Luo for Gardiner straight up is more than enough, the picks cancel out, and Tanev, Raymond and Ballard for Bailiey is...

imo a big overpayment.

How about we forget about Gardiner,

send Luongo to Toronto

who cares what Toronto gives the Isles

and send Okposo and Bailey here.

If I read correctly, I'm not sure you read correctly, or where you read that - that version seems like a slight revision. Hodgson's beef against the organization - at least the final beef (aside from the prior issues around his handling during his back issues) - started months before the trade deadline and had little or nothing to do with Kesler's injury, and ironically, Hodgson had only a few months in the NHL under his belt at the time.

If you go back and read Tony Gallagher raking up an ice-time controversy,

I think the Canucks are really playing with fire. In fact, I know they’re playing with fire with this business of what they’re doing to Hodgson. They may not have to accede to demands to be traded, if in fact they come, but you don’t want to be messing around.

Once a player starts doing that, starts asking, if you’ve gotta say no, then you’re starting to really sour the relationship and I don’t think they want to go there. They are perilously close to that kind of situation. I mean, if I had been Cody’s agent I would have been asking long ago. They have been way more than patient.

And if you read Hodgson's agent Ritch Winter's uber-pedantic 6400 word response to PITB's take on the 'controversy', you will find that Winters objected to nothing that Gallagher said - apparently the 'controversy' had everything to do with the handlers' dissatisfaction that the rookie was getting only 13/14 minutes of ice time a game. But the idea that he would be more effective than Kesler or take the 2nd line role was not specified.

Tony Gallagher implied that it was an atrocity that Hodgson wasn't given more minutes, whether they came from the top two centers, or the combination of Malhotra/Lapierre, who, as everyone knows, carry the defensive load for Vancouver, enabling the top guys to play to their strengths. IMO there really was nowhere to usurp these minutes, and Hodgson was already being optimized. I don't buy the pump and dump stories - I think you simply pump your player regardless, and Vigneault, despite his reputation, did a fairly solid job of that.

IMO, his agent did not necessarily have the most prudent conception of what is in his player's best interests. Winters undoubtedly intended well for Hodgson by pushing for more minutes for his client, but if you read what he published, he goes so far as to put Hodgson in a class with Steven Stamkos. I mean, that's flattering, but get real. If the object is to win a sizable contract for your client when his ELC comes to an end, wouldn't it be more advantageous to wait out a little more development, let the perception that your client is limited by circumstance in Vancouver percolate, show what a team guy he is by respecting the veterans and thriving in his role, and take advantage of the particular situation, which also favoured his client. In Vancouver, opposition teams had to concentrate on shutting down Henrik, and then the 40 goal scoring Selke winner, and then by the time Hodgson hits the ice, he is seeing not only bottom pairings, but also has two outstanding two-way linemates that allowed him to really play to his strengths, and some outstanding centers to learn from. There was nothing pressing him to be ready to step up to pressure filled big minutes against players who face a high quality of competition - nor did he really need to be an NHL developed defensive center, which really is not a criticism as much as it is the reality of being a rookie who is also primarily an offensive center. Winters/Gallagher and Gillis/Vigneault simply could not see eye to eye - I personally don't agree with the push to, imo prematurely, lobby for a greater role for Hodgson. It was divisive, it wasn't terribly realistic, and the optics of it, I think, really hurt Hodgson. I also think Gallagher sunk his teeth into this one so deeply and publicly that the result was to drive a rift into the team that was fairly irreconcilable. I don't see it as exclusively Hodgson's fault, but I also don't see his camp's position as being at all realistic - and it was divisive - at a fairly sensitive time for Vancouver.

I'm not at all disappointed with the way Gillis resolved it - he got the type of prospect almost all of us wanted, at the position of greatest need - and he sent Hodgson to a team where he could play precisely the type of role he wanted.

Not sure why the whining still ensues - the idea that Hodgson was the key to last year's window is more embellishment than a Kesler dive.

I agree with your point that the goaltending situation is nothing resembling that kind of mess. Luongo and Schneider have handled it exceptionally well.

Derp.

"Vancouver Canucks defenceman Dan Hamhuis will have surgery early next week and may not be ready for the start of training camp.

Hamhuis left Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final early in the second period following a hip check from Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic. It was later discovered that Hamhuis suffered a sports hernia, groin and lower abdomen injury."

Ok there, ye who exclaims:

"Hodgson, you look so very pretty!"

You can call the stats "propaganda" if you want. It's funny how some people here love to complain about Vigneault and Gillis, endlessly, yet object so strongly to bringing up Hodgson's corsi stats, his plus/minus, the contexts in which he was successful... So you are in love with Cody Hodgson, and therefore that analysis is 'propaganda' to you... what I referenced were facts like Hodgson, while getting more offensive than defensive zone starts, had a -6.8 relative corsi - while his linemates - Hansen had 40.4% off zone and yet a better rel corsi nevertheless, and Higgins had 46.6% and a positive rel corsi. It makes perfect sense to use a player in situations that serve and take advantage of their strengths. For all the criticisim, in the end AV had been using Hodgson in a very appropriate way, and in as many situations as possible given his strengths. All the whining that he wasn't getting enough ice-time however, were very short sighted.

I also pointed out that Pahlsson, while an obvious shutdown guy, had 6 points in 19 games and a +4 against quality competition, while Hodgson had 8 points in 20 games and a -7 after the trade. People here maintain endlessly what a disaster these deals were, how terrible that decision was going into the playoffs, and yet the reality doesn't reflect anything resembing that. Where is the 'propaganda' exactly? I can see why people who can't let go, can't accept that Hodgson was traded, are so resistant to hockey analysis - it gets in the way of their sentimental fantasies about how important the young player was to the Canucks. He was a rookie - he is not yet a player who can handle the NHL game in his own end of the ice - he has great offensive skills with the puck on his stick - but he is and was not ready to be the force that some people were expecting. It's remarkable how much saviour status was put on his shoulder - he wasn't going to make a difference in last year's playoffs. It was much more likely that, as he did in Buffalo, he'd struggle significantly facing the type of matchups he would have in a series like the Canucks faced against the Kings. I think the real reason people respond so emotionally and defensively to these discussions of Hodgson's actual game is because they had put all their wholesale eggs in this faith that he was The Answer. Give it up folks - you can still love Hodgson all you want, but it's a done deal, and the reasoning behind it, even if there had been no additional controversies, made perfect sense.

Archived