The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

The simple fact about this entire thing is that it is complete media speculation, niether goaltender has said anything bad about one another, they both have handled it amazingly, been great teammates and are good friends. Even if Luongo doesn't get traded right away, boht goaltenders know he won't be here forever, a year at the absolute max, but I doubt that highly. It's not nearly the big deal you make it out to be.

an opinion based on what? Do tell? Dubnyk was a first round pick which gives him credibility, 14th overall, which is a number arrived at by MANY hockey scouts, His numbers were not much worse than Lou's last year playing for the bottom feeding Oilers. Put Dubnyk behind the Canucks defense and see what happens, and see how Lou would fair on the Oilers. Dubnyk does need a bit more seasoning but is a big, technical goaltender. Give him a good team in front of him and watch him shine, I 've watched Dubnyk and see a ton of potential, and I look at it from a Coaches point of view, not a TV watcher who is NOT a goalie.

Come on, Dubnyk isn't and will never be as good as Lu, I can appreciate your goaltending experience but you lose everyone when you compare the 2.

Lu made the All Star team and was nominated for the Vezina and Pearson at the age of 24 while playing for the Panthers. Dubnyk, at 26, isn't even top 30 in the league.

You make good points and then lose everyone with stupid points. We all get it, you don't like Lu technically and I agree Schneids is better but you don't give Lu enough credit. He is still a very good goaltender. According to your rationale, Yzerman should have called up Dubnyk to backstop the 2010 gold medal team. A lot if elite coaching minds chose Lu over every other Canadian goaltender.

And I'm not saying Lou wasn;t great, what I did do was compare Dubnyk to Luongo LAST season, and they were comparable or close. Putting Dubnyk on the Canucks, and Lou on the Oilers would change both goalies numbers dramatically. Surely you agree that would or could be the case? Dubnyk is a victim of his non performing Oilers !

No I don't agree. I think Lu is far superior technically than Dubnyk and the Oilers would have done a lot better if Lu was in their net.

Do you think Lu's play has dropped off that much in 1 year because in 2010 he was considered Canada's best goaltender by many elite minds??

Look at shootout stats... Dubnyk was .741 vs Lou's 27th place .595. This is a stat that reflects technical ability because its one on one. Whether you agree or not, Dubnyk moves better than Lou. over the season, Lou was .005 better in SP. hardly a staggering improvement !Canucks scored over 1/2 a goal more per game than 28th placed Edmonton. The gap, if there is one between the 2 is way less than the gap between Schneids and Lou !!

14 minutes before your last post you called someone out for a pathetic comparison, and then you compare a goalie on a very poor team that has finished last in the league to a goalie on the 2 time presidents trophy winning team and come to the conclusion that Lu is the better goalie because his stats are better?

Lu is miles closer to Dubnyk's lever than he is to Schneider's level and that is why Lu will be gone soon enough!

Gillis should be fired under your assumption because Hasek has miles and miles and miles more hardware than Lu will ever have and was wanting to play this season.

Media have been speculating what they have because it's completely obvious that that's what would happen. The only people who don't see the clear reasons why neither goalie would be happy with such an arrangement are biased Canuck fans like yourself who simply refuse to look at anything but the best case scenarios. What do you mean that they won't hold hands and skip merrily to the dressing room in tandem? They're such good friends!

Sure, but is that one year indicative of all future performance? Should we throw out the past results and look only at technical play irrespective of all other factors? Not to pick on your post, but you've presented a bit of both sides so it makes sense to do so versus focussing on one side or the other.

What I believe (and I'm sure I've already said it since this is just another of the conversations that has dragged on for numerous pages without any real reason why it should) is Luongo will be better than Dubnyk over the next couple years and at least equal to him for a couple more after that. I think Dubnyk doesn't have the same upside when compared to what Luongo was projected to achieve when he was that age but can still be a pretty good goalie, which is sometimes all you need.

Edmonton's bad and Vancouver is better, no doubt. Would Edmonton be better by adding Luongo than with Dubnyk and Khabi (or whoever they get as a backup) - probably, depending on who they gave up to get him. If they could add him by giving up players they have plenty of depth in and picks, it would likely be worthwhile.

The issue of course comes back to trading to a divisional rival. The Canucks would want Edmonton to overpay based on value considering they'd likely be giving up the most experienced player with the biggest current star power. Edmonton wouldn't want to give up any significant future and find a way to have the Canucks take back a higher contract. I don't think those sides match up to a deal, so it's all a moot point unless things get creative.

Archived