The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

Call me crazy, but I think the better option for this team, at this stage, would have been to stick with the ol' reliable Luongo, and trade the high potential but fairly unproven young guy for immediate help that might push them over the top - IE, win a Cup.

Grabner does have a slight edge where points are concerned - his career .54 points/game is slightly higher than Upshall's .46 - but aside from that, I don't think Grabner brings anywhere near as much to a team - he is a small, not particularly physical RW - his 47 career hits do not impress - and if he can't cut the top 6....(which may also be his fate on the Isles, where Parenteau and Okposo are muscling him out...)

A lot of d-men of his ilk can't skate. Adam Foote couldn't skate, Willie Mitchell can't skate.

And again, you can't forget his age. He's roughly 3 months older than Cody Hodgson. 10 months older than Jordan Schroeder. It might feel like he's been around forever, but he's still got a long, long career ahead of him. And his numbers have gotten better every year.

Cap space is an OK benefit, but it does need to be used for it to be a benefit. So it potentially would help us now, but you're gaining roughly the same in cap space with Schenn as you would with Upshall.

And then with Upshall, there's the issue of a guy earning $3.5M likely playing on the bottom six. Not ideal.

But Canucks management are prepared to take the risk. There is no downside to this as Lou did not get them the holy grail due , in part, to his lack of consistancy game to game. They must feel that Schneider is the better option. If he fails in the playoffs, its no worse a result than what Lou has done. Same result, no Cup. My bets are on Schneider, he has proven to be very consistant. We know how you feel ES and sympathize, but its time to get on the Canuck bus and off the ES bicycle !

Burrows is really a third liner until he proves he can contribute without the dynamic duo. Not that he can't he just hasn't yet. I guess he could do it but if you take out the Sedins a top 6 with Burrows, Kelser, Booth, and Higgins looks pretty weak to me.

Archived