3002 replies to this topic

#241 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I doubt it. If he has so little value, he maybe doesn't even get claimed and we pay his salary (and maybe still have his cap hit if that makes it into the new CBA). If he does get claimed we get nothing. Even a 2nd tier pick would be better than either of those options.

It won't come to that though, since we wouldn't have 5 teams in the discussion prior to the lockout if they were all offering their cap dumps and nothing else.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#242 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Why on earth would Gillis put him on waivers and lose him for nothing? That's one of the stupidest ideas I've heard.

Gillis: "If you don't accept this trade to Toronto, I'll put you on waivers. Maybe Columbus would like to pick you up?"

Luongo: "I call your bluff. You'd never put me on waivers and lose me for nothing."

Dreger floated waivers last week.

It's the contract. Sheldon Souray and Wade Redden were put on waivers, too. Not that they're not good enough for the NHL, but because nobody wanted to touch those contracts.

It is an option, and it's actually probably Gillis' best leverage piece in this deal, since I can't imagine Luongo wanting spend the next decade in Columbus. This being a potential scenario is probably so severe that he'd accept a trade to a place like Toronto, even though he'd clearly rather be in FLA.

#243 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

as cryptic as MG is being I agree with everything hes saying. I also agree with what Burke is saying when he says the leafs are prepared to roll forward with Reimer and Scrivens. Making trades is a waiting game, and as far as I'm concerned the canucks have two great assets locked up for the next 3 years. If the demand isn't there right now then we wait. Teams like Edm, Tampa, Fla, Tor, Chi, Wash are all teams that could be contenders, and i use that word lightly, in the next 2-3 seasons. They are also teams that have goaltending issues that could go either way depending on how their prospects turn out. If no one wants to budge now, then why force a trade. Luongo and Schneider can play 50 50 until one team jumps. I don't want to deal Lu to Toronto for a guy like Bozak. I'd rather trade him for someone old and great that can help us win a cup. We have enough fringe 3rd liners, or decent enough prospects in the cupboard. I'm not saying our future is bright by any means, but why trade a future HOF goalie for someone who will play 3rd line centre. Get a Hossa or a Danny Boyle before we trade for a Bozak. Get a stud dman for Schneider and keep Luongo. Gamble on a potential lottery pick early in the season like Washington did for Varlamov. We have Cannata and Lack who will be ready to take over when Lu's done in the next 5-10 years if need be.
Posted Image

#244 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Tyler Biggs!

#245 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,414 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Bill Watters announces on Nite Cap tonight onnssradiotv.com that Leafs have made a deal for a goalie & will announce after CBA done!

https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey

Edited by playboi19, 19 October 2012 - 08:07 PM.

Subbancopy.jpg

#246 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

What the hell would we do if someone picked him up on re-entry waivers? We'd have to pay half his salary for the rest of his contract. That's in no way what Gillis would ever do.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#247 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

Bill Watters announces on Nite Cap tonight onnssradiotv.com that Leafs have made a deal for a goalie & will announce after CBA done!

https://twitter.com/JoshRimerHockey

First Shannon and now Watters.

Two sources, I just hope they are correct.

Shannon is on Hockeycentral right now, they are talking CBA but they are gunna start talking Luongo soon, and Im interested in what he is gunna say.

Hopefully these two are correct, As big ofa Lu fan as I am, I just want this to be over and see what we get since I know Gillis won't accept a terrible offer.

Hopefully Kadri is in it, I feel he is just waiting to breakout and since we need a center it could be a perfect fit.

zackass.png

#248 FS91

FS91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Shannon seemed pretty sure of a deal in place on Hockey Central

#249 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

Dreger floated waivers last week.

It's the contract. Sheldon Souray and Wade Redden were put on waivers, too. Not that they're not good enough for the NHL, but because nobody wanted to touch those contracts.

It is an option, and it's actually probably Gillis' best leverage piece in this deal, since I can't imagine Luongo wanting spend the next decade in Columbus. This being a potential scenario is probably so severe that he'd accept a trade to a place like Toronto, even though he'd clearly rather be in FLA.

Stop for a minute and think of that in the context of the Redden/Souray situation. Gillis can't really use it as a scare tactic, even less so if salaries in the AHL count against the cap in the new CBA.

While the length of his contract isn't great, Luongo's cap hit is fine. There are teams interested as a result, and even a lesser deal is better than nothing at all.

First Shannon and now Watters.

Two sources, I just hope they are correct.

Shannon is on Hockeycentral right now, they are talking CBA but they are gunna start talking Luongo soon, and Im interested in what he is gunna say.

Hopefully these two are correct, As big ofa Lu fan as I am, I just want this to be over and see what we get since I know Gillis won't accept a terrible offer.

Hopefully Kadri is in it, I feel he is just waiting to breakout and since we need a center it could be a perfect fit.

But what has HockeyyInsiderr had to say on it? ;)

I know Kadri has talent, I'm just not so sure he's worth as much as the Leafs would want, or that he'll live up to what people have said his potential is. I think there are better options.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#250 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

Kind of hoping gillis gets burkes best offer and then trade him to Edmonton and grab paarvarvi, potter and hartikennin.

#251 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,344 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

Kind of hoping gillis gets burkes best offer and then trade him to Edmonton and grab paarvarvi, potter and hartikennin.

You're joking right? What if Burke's best offer is Gardiner? Colbourne and a 1st? Or even Phaneuf like some people have proposed?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#252 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

But what has HockeyyInsiderr had to say on it? ;)

I know Kadri has talent, I'm just not so sure he's worth as much as the Leafs would want, or that he'll live up to what people have said his potential is. I think there are better options.

Haha at this point whatever he says just makes him seem more embaressing, I unfollowed him so long ago.

But I dont think they can ask alot, and they have treated him terribly, they have guys go 20 games without a goal and are huge minus's and then he comes up and gives them a big offensive boost, last time he was a + and they still send him down, I agree with everything Don Cherry says, it just doesn't make sense.

zackass.png

#253 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Under the NHL's proposed CBA moving Luongo will be easier then finding a date in Surrey. His salary cap will drop to 4.7 million. If he retires, we take on the rest of his salary cap = no risk at all for new owners. AND we can even hold back a portion of his contract. Under the NHL's proposal, Luongo just turned more valuable then Shane Doan was this summer.

#254 Wolf smell

Wolf smell

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

Haha at this point whatever he says just makes him seem more embaressing, I unfollowed him so long ago.

But I dont think they can ask alot, and they have treated him terribly, they have guys go 20 games without a goal and are huge minus's and then he comes up and gives them a big offensive boost, last time he was a + and they still send him down, I agree with everything Don Cherry says, it just doesn't make sense.

It really doesn't make sense, he's a young guy, plenty left to show. For being in the top 10 I think the leaves were hoping he'd have shown more than he has so far, but that's how she goes.

I've noticed a few times you mentioning kadri's name in passing. Now i'm not a hater or a fan of his I'd like to think I'm being realistic on the situation. Where would he fit in with our line up? In my opinion to be an effective player kadri would have to be a top 6 player. Do we really have a top 6 spot availible for him full time? Even if we did would he fit?

#255 Wolf smell

Wolf smell

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Under the NHL's proposed CBA moving Luongo will be easier then finding a date in Surrey. His salary cap will drop to 4.7 million. If he retires, we take on the rest of his salary cap = no risk at all for new owners. AND we can even hold back a portion of his contract. Under the NHL's proposal, Luongo just turned more valuable then Shane Doan was this summer.

I don't believe there was any sort of immediate roll backs in the proposal. If he retired under the old cap it wouldn't matter anyway. The only thing that made sense is if the cap trading scenario went thru and we traded him for less than his cap hit

#256 Wolf smell

Wolf smell

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

I don't believe there was any sort of immediate roll backs in the proposal. If he retired under the old cap it wouldn't matter anyway. The only thing that made sense is if the cap trading scenario went thru and we traded him for less than his cap hit

edit: rollback on contracts already signed

#257 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

It really doesn't make sense, he's a young guy, plenty left to show. For being in the top 10 I think the leaves were hoping he'd have shown more than he has so far, but that's how she goes.

I've noticed a few times you mentioning kadri's name in passing. Now i'm not a hater or a fan of his I'd like to think I'm being realistic on the situation. Where would he fit in with our line up? In my opinion to be an effective player kadri would have to be a top 6 player. Do we really have a top 6 spot availible for him full time? Even if we did would he fit?

I dont think he has been giving enough opportunity, and right away they buried him, he should have been on that team a few years ago, he provides more offense then some of the players on there team and he still gets sent down.

On our team I think he could play 3rd line center, like Coho, center the 2nd unit PP, and Im sure he can play wing so he could also slot into the top 6 when needed, he has been working on his two-way game, so he could help us out in a 3rd line role.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 20 October 2012 - 02:06 AM.

zackass.png

#258 Wolf smell

Wolf smell

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

I dont think he has been giving enough opportunity, and right away they buried him, he should have been on that team a few years ago, he provides more offense then some of the players on there team and he still gets sent down.

On our team I think he could play 3rd line center, like Coho, center the 2nd unit PP, and Im sure he can play wing so he could also slot into the top 6 when needed, he has been working on his two-way game, so he could help us out in a 3rd line role.

I'm of much the same mind that he hasn't been well utilized in to, but I really think Lappy should get a look at 3C this year, He's put on a few pounds this year and could take some of the hard minutes of Kes (when he comes back. If the season even starts in before he's back) It almost seems like he's just itching to make a big impression. I do agree some depth at C would help. I'm not a huge fan of his but what about Colbourne if we sent him down to the wolves for a season or two to develop properly unlike with the marlies and being rushed back while being hurt

#259 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

I'm of much the same mind that he hasn't been well utilized in to, but I really think Lappy should get a look at 3C this year, He's put on a few pounds this year and could take some of the hard minutes of Kes (when he comes back. If the season even starts in before he's back) It almost seems like he's just itching to make a big impression. I do agree some depth at C would help. I'm not a huge fan of his but what about Colbourne if we sent him down to the wolves for a season or two to develop properly unlike with the marlies and being rushed back while being hurt

I think Kadri has more upside.

I wouldnt mind giving Lappy a shot but other than a 3rd like center and prospects/picks im not really sure what else we need back in return for Lu, so why not get a young kid like that with some good skill & good upside, plus Lappy could always be used well in a 4th line role, and then we could finally have a 4th line that could maybe do something in the playoffs.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 20 October 2012 - 03:09 AM.

zackass.png

#260 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

I would be very surprised If Kadri isn't part of the return "if" Lu is traded to TML.

#261 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

No to Kadri he came into camp fat after training with Roberts in the off season amd was called out by Eakins, said he was at the bottom of the team in fitness..no to this prima donna.

#262 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

It doesn't appear that their proposal calls for a rollback in the current value of contracts and their cap hits... it will basically just be taken care of in escrow.

Also... yes it would be easy to find a trading partner for Luongo if we were able and willing to take on some of his cap hit, but the question is why would WE do that? We are a cap ceiling team so don't look for US to take on extra cap hits.

The clause where we would be on the hook for his whole cap hit when he stops playing is ludicrous and would mean we can't afford to move him.

Assuming the above clause doesn't make it to the final agreement though, AND the ability to retain up to 50% of the actual salary or cap hit of a contract in a trade goes in... then no question we are able to trade Luongo and his value goes up substantially. Not because we are willing to retain his cap hit, but because we are willing to retain some of his salary.

A trade for Lecavalier becomes a good proposition for example if Tampa kept half of his cap hit but we paid his full salary... and we kept a few bucks of Luongo's salary but none of his cap hit.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#263 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

A trade for Lecavalier becomes a good proposition for example if Tampa kept half of his cap hit but we paid his full salary... and we kept a few bucks of Luongo's salary but none of his cap hit.

Except that it would make their recent acquisition & signing of Lindback pretty pointless.

Rumor has it that TB was interested in Schneider solely. Once he was made unavailable, they went to Lindback.

#264 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Who's playing on classic games tonight.?

No Kardri.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#265 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Except that it would make their recent acquisition & signing of Lindback pretty pointless.

Rumor has it that TB was interested in Schneider solely. Once he was made unavailable, they went to Lindback.

Lindback is not considered by most to be a real starting goalie at this point... having a guy on your roster who has played 38 NHL games in his career is no sort of barrier to getting Luongo.

The prevalent rumour was that they wanted us to take back one of their terrible contracts (assumed to be Lecavalier) if they go Luongo.... CBA changes could make that a much more appealing possibility.

A $3.75 million cap hit Lecavalier would make our 2nd line look a lot better than having Raymond on it.... also gives us a spare centre which is pretty handy.

There are also lots of other options... maybe we can get Bjugstad out of Florida if Luongo only cost them half the cash and we were willing to take on Upshall's contract (letting them keep half the cap hit)

Edited by Provost, 20 October 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#266 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

But Gillis isn't "lieing" here, he's stating a fact that he hasn't yet been formally traded.

Where there's smoke, though, there's usually fire, and it's looking like Toronto will be Louie's next home. Someone earlier referenced Reimer coming back - no. That'd be stupid. We need a veteran, clear, obvious backup.

In the world of hockey rumours, where there's smoke, there's usually someone blowing hard.

The "official insiders" themselves are large fraction wannabe, competing to "call trades" or be the first to "break" news. It's all kind of sad - no one really cares who the messenger is/was - and few of them have the credibility / commitment to journalistic process to actually get real verification before they start prattling. In the current context, it's even dumber than normal given the kaibosh on trade talking, let alone deal cutting.

People still talking waivers here are entirely oblivious to the reality of how Gillis will roll on this - they are being suckered by Leafs lobbyists.

Dreger should refrain from commenting on Luongo - he makes a conflicted interest case of himself every time he opens his mouth.

#267 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Lindback is not considered by most to be a real starting goalie at this point... having a guy on your roster who has played 38 NHL games in his career is no sort of barrier to getting Luongo.

Maybe not, but $1.8M is a lot to pay for a backup goalie. Yzerman's taking a reasonable gamble on Lindback; if it works, great, he's acquired a possible future star; if not, that's fine, Garon gets plugged in. Acquiring Luongo would allocate $7M of cap space to their goaltending position - not including Garon's $1.3M. Seems a little rich for TBL.

And besides, don't forget that Vinny's got an NTC. He didn't want to go to Montreal a few years ago, which is pretty revealing as to where his heart is. He's now a laid-back Floridian, earning huge money and being under zero pressure/scrutiny. Not surprising why he wouldn't want to leave that situation for a place like Montreal or Vancouver.

#268 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Maybe not, but $1.8M is a lot to pay for a backup goalie. Yzerman's taking a reasonable gamble on Lindback; if it works, great, he's acquired a possible future star; if not, that's fine, Garon gets plugged in. Acquiring Luongo would allocate $7M of cap space to their goaltending position - not including Garon's $1.3M. Seems a little rich for TBL.

I think you are missing the distinct difference between cap space and actual dollars and that is the entire point of my post. Tampa Bay is not a cap team and is unlikely to ever be a cap team.... so how much cap space they devote to goaltending or any other position is largely irrelevant.

What IS relevant is the actual cash spent. Spending less than $4.5 million on the goaltending position and getting an all-star veteran and one of the better young future prospects as your duo would be a stellar deal for them in terms of value for dollar spent.

Add to that they get to offload the Lecavalier contract (the actual dollars but only half the cap hit) which would save them $55 million over the course of it's life... there is no question in my mind that TBL would jump on that deal in a heartbeat.

That retaining cap space/salary clause would do wonders for the trade market and really allow rich and poor teams to make deals that benefit them both.

#269 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

http://www.sportsnet...to_maple_leafs/

So there we were Wednesday night on Hockey Central, Jeff Marek, Nick Kypreos, John Garrett and I discussing the merits of Patrick Roy versus Martin Brodeur. And then the topic of what the Vancouver Canucks are going to do in goal when the NHL returns came up.
To the shock of many, I blurted out that the Roberto Luongo-to-Toronto Maple Leafs deal “was done.”
As with anything said on TV, the Twittersphere exploded for 36 hours with Leafs and Canucks fans wanting to know my source, who was involved, how the two teams could talk during a lockout -- all legitimate questions for a deal of such magnitude.
Obviously, neither team confirmed my story, nor should they. Quite frankly, without a CBA in place, trades can’t occur, and team officials publicly discussing any player transactions would result in some sort fine from New York.
Posted Image Listen now: John Shannon talks Roberto Luongo with Jeff Blair
However, I have been told that the next time Roberto Luongo plays in the NHL, he will play for the Toronto Maple Leafs. It is from a reputable source. End of story.
I do not know who or what he will be traded for, and believe it or not, I don’t think general managers Mike Gillis and Brian Burke know either. The rules of any new collective bargaining agreement will dictate the actual transaction.
Common sense, which seems to be in great shortage these days, puts Luongo in Toronto for a few key reasons.
The Leafs can handle his salary, and there is a huge need in Toronto for a veteran goaltender. The Leafs organization is very familiar with Luongo’s talent, ability and personality. It is an excellent fit.
As I have said all along, the deal in place is all contingent on what the new CBA says.

#270 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

http://www.sportsnet...to_maple_leafs/

:shock:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.