Not to flog a dead horse here but I will
I went to the Marlies/Bulldogs game today and was keen to watch a number of players mentioned in our regular Lou to Toronto proposals. A number of observations.
1. Gardiner is hurt but he's a stud and I've seen enough of him at the NHL level to know (especially given the lack of other players in their system) that he MUST be part of any deal if we are not going to be ripped off.
2. Kadri - don't want to get into it again but I stand by earlier posts. I watched this kid hardly skate, looks disinterested, poor positioning defensively (often allowing the opposing center between him and the net), did end up getting two weak assists (1 was a second, the other off a draw - so he looks good on the score sheet) but really did nothing. He doesn't have NHL speed, and his play really looked weak. Got rocked by Stortini and may have a concussion and honestly it was from playing lacksidasical, not paying attention. This game really cemented my view that he is nothing better than an AHL all star for life - don't want him as part of this deal.
3. Carter Ashton - terrific size, nhl speed, strong on his skates and along the walls, passes well. Still needs to work on his hands but would be nice as part of a package - reminds me of a faster Booth. He will play in the NHL - perhaps as a 3rd liner or if he can develop his hands a 2nd liner - solid player.
4. Frattin - again not very noticable - not horrendous but nothing great
5. Scrivens - will play in the NHL and is ready. Steady, calm, at times looked bored as Hamilton didn't pressure him much, but moved well and made some strong saves at key moments. I think the leafs would want to ship us Reimer instead but as a kid to groom in the minors for another year would be worth taking back (although would create some issues with Lack).
All in all, as I expected, Leafs really lack any sort of talent in the minor league system that makes them attractive as a trading partner. At best I would want
But Leafs wont do that so
Gardiner / Bozak at a min
Edited by BuretoMogilny, 26 December 2012 - 04:00 PM.