The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Official Roberto Luongo Proposal

The Canucks are already soft enough, I don't think Marcus Kruger would do anything to solve those (very real) problems on the 3rd line. Like you say, he's more suited to a top-six role, which he may not quite be ready for - if he can play wing, though, he might be more productive than Mason Raymond has recently been.

He is a good player, I'm just not sure that he'd be such a great fit on the Canucks.

OP, where is Kassian in your lineup for Vancouver? Zack provides what Kyle Beach does so getting him from Chicago could be redundant; I'd rather get Kruger, since he used to play on the 2nd line for the Hawks if I'm not mistaken. He can slot in very well as the 3rd line center for us and if Kes isn't back when the season starts Marcus can also slot up into the Top 6.

LOL; I knew you would say that :P

deal-or-no-deal-around-the-world_4.jpg

You guys make off like bandits: Lu for Frolik, Olesz (cap dumps) and Crawford (expendable with Lu) and you add another star piece to add to your core... for that return? RIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT....

Calgary doesn't improve, they just get mediocre pieces; Vancouver gets Comeau (journeyman), Backlund/ Nemisz (OK young guys), Howse (don't know much about him) and Crawford (don't need another young starter), a.k.a. quantity for quality

The Canucks are already soft enough, I don't think Marcus Kruger would do anything to solve those (very real) problems on the 3rd line. Like you say, he's more suited to a top-six role, which he may not quite be ready for - if he can play wing, though, he might be more productive than Mason Raymond has recently been.

He is a good player, I'm just not sure that he'd be such a great fit on the Canucks.

The only player that makes any sense coming back from Chicago in a Luongo trade is David Bolland. Yeah thats right i said it!!

While a top 6 forward would be nice. IMO the nucks have these already in the system in Jensen, Kassian, and Schroeder. The biggest organizational need is 3C and if your trading away impact players you better address one of these holes or why bother trading.

Especially to a Western rival.

I absolutely believe that a deal involving Chicago and Vancouver could, and should, involve one of their top 3 forwards. Of their top 3, my focus would be on Patrick Kane. Yes, I know there's a lot of history between Kane and the city of Vancouver, but I believe it can be overcome.

Kane is a proven winner and thrives on critical situations. To some, his attitude needs adjusting, but I am one who says it doesn't. It is his attitude that fuels his will to succeed and it is his attitude that makes him a star. One must remember that although he is a pro, he is still just a kid. All hockey players handle success in different ways. His behavior is his way. I further feel that playing with a solid core of veterans who show professionalism and poise could assist in helping him to mature as a man ( as long as it doesn't affect his game ),

Kane has, at times, been trying on Chicago fans, His off ice antics have been well documented to the dismay of Chicago management. The chance to dump a contravercial player, while improving in a critical position may be welcome to Chicago brass.

In order to secure Lou, Chicago would have to drop salary. As their respective annual incomes are similar, it only makes sense.

The biggest obsticle would be the NTCs which both players have. Once it becomes knowledge that Chicago wished to deal Kane, I feel he would waive it. No player wants to be where they are not wanted and a chance to stick it to your old team with a mortal enemy may be very inticing, Add to that, the fact that Vancouver is a perennial contender and a beautiful city to live in and I believe he accepts it.

Lou wants out of Vancouver. As time goes on, I believe his resolve will weaken. As he sits on the bench watching game after game, his want to compete will take over and acceptance will become more his mind set.

Another potential blocker is the desire for each side not to be one upped. The Vancouver/Chicago rivalry is one of the fiercest in all of sport and has resulted in some of the best games I've seen in recent memory. For one or the other to win a cup with the pieces of this deal being big factors in it would be an embarrassment to the other team, especially if we face one another in the playoffs. However, I would see this deal as an enhancement to an already furious relationship, and would watch with more interest. Games would become, in my mind, epic battles and it is the fans who would benefit the most.

To Vancouver:

Patrick Kane

1st rnd pick 2013

To Chicago:

Roberto Luongo

David Booth

Chris Tanev

In my eyes we get great returns for what we give up.

We get the piece that, in my opinion, puts our forward lines over the top, We also get a 1st rnd pick in a season that may involve an open lottery for the 1st overall pick. In my mind, the more chances the better. If hockey is played this year, then a second pick opens up more options for drafting or dealing for assets.

Chicago gets their premier goalie, a forward to replace the loss of Kane and an up and coming defenseman with defensive skills.

The fact is Lou wants out so we really lose nothing here. Booth is suspect in my mind and has not found a good fit here. We have assets within our system that can replace him. Our defense is deep and I don,t see Tanev getting a real shot at a full time spot here. It is my opinion that all involved in the deal are expendable and would serve Chicago well.

New lines:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Jensen - Kesler - Kane

Higgins - Malhotra - Hansen

Weise - Lapierre - Kassian

Pinizzotto, Raymond, Schroeder

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Garrison

Ballard - ?

I absolutely believe that a deal involving Chicago and Vancouver could, and should, involve one of their top 3 forwards. Of their top 3, my focus would be on Patrick Kane. Yes, I know there's a lot of history between Kane and the city of Vancouver, but I believe it can be overcome.

Kane is a proven winner and thrives on critical situations. To some, his attitude needs adjusting, but I am one who says it doesn't. It is his attitude that fuels his will to succeed and it is his attitude that makes him a star. One must remember that although he is a pro, he is still just a kid. All hockey players handle success in different ways. His behavior is his way. I further feel that playing with a solid core of veterans who show professionalism and poise could assist in helping him to mature as a man ( as long as it doesn't affect his game ),

Kane has, at times, been trying on Chicago fans, His off ice antics have been well documented to the dismay of Chicago management. The chance to dump a contravercial player, while improving in a critical position may be welcome to Chicago brass.

In order to secure Lou, Chicago would have to drop salary. As their respective annual incomes are similar, it only makes sense.

The biggest obsticle would be the NTCs which both players have. Once it becomes knowledge that Chicago wished to deal Kane, I feel he would waive it. No player wants to be where they are not wanted and a chance to stick it to your old team with a mortal enemy may be very inticing, Add to that, the fact that Vancouver is a perennial contender and a beautiful city to live in and I believe he accepts it.

Lou wants out of Vancouver. As time goes on, I believe his resolve will weaken. As he sits on the bench watching game after game, his want to compete will take over and acceptance will become more his mind set.

Another potential blocker is the desire for each side not to be one upped. The Vancouver/Chicago rivalry is one of the fiercest in all of sport and has resulted in some of the best games I've seen in recent memory. For one or the other to win a cup with the pieces of this deal being big factors in it would be an embarrassment to the other team, especially if we face one another in the playoffs. However, I would see this deal as an enhancement to an already furious relationship, and would watch with more interest. Games would become, in my mind, epic battles and it is the fans who would benefit the most.

To Vancouver:

Patrick Kane

1st rnd pick 2013

To Chicago:

Roberto Luongo

David Booth

Chris Tanev

In my eyes we get great returns for what we give up.

We get the piece that, in my opinion, puts our forward lines over the top, We also get a 1st rnd pick in a season that may involve an open lottery for the 1st overall pick. In my mind, the more chances the better. If hockey is played this year, then a second pick opens up more options for drafting or dealing for assets.

Chicago gets their premier goalie, a forward to replace the loss of Kane and an up and coming defenseman with defensive skills.

The fact is Lou wants out so we really lose nothing here. Booth is suspect in my mind and has not found a good fit here. We have assets within our system that can replace him. Our defense is deep and I don,t see Tanev getting a real shot at a full time spot here. It is my opinion that all involved in the deal are expendable and would serve Chicago well.

New lines:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Jensen - Kesler - Kane

Higgins - Malhotra - Hansen

Weise - Lapierre - Kassian

Pinizzotto, Raymond, Schroeder

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Garrison

Ballard - ?

From a Vancouver perspective I can understan why you feel this way, but just know that Chicago will never deal one of their core (Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland, Keith and Seabrook) for Luongo. Part of that is how Chicago views goalies, part of it is the marketing strategy around the core (like it or not), and part of it is Vancouver's goalie situation (sooner or later Luongo has to be dealt, so why rush and overpay). Like I've said before, we won the Cup in 2010 because of our depth and we're just starting to rebuild that depth after the purge in the summer of 2010. Bowman isn't about to trade away the core and the depth we have coming through the pipeline (i.e. Saad, Shaw, McNeill, Danault, Teravainen).

So as much as you think this is a fair trade (and I understand where you're coming from) I can say with certainty it won't happen. I am a Luongo fan and I have no issue with him on the Blackhawks, for the right price I would welcome the deal. But I just don't see a Chicago/Vancouver deal happening for Luongo.

I still think Hossa for Luongo is a good hockey deal for both teams as it addresses the needs for the now instead of the future. Lou in net for the Hawks would make them cup contenders. Hossa in the top six on the Canucks is what the doctor ordered. It all boils down to Bowman weather he wants to let a core player go and i think Hossa would be the one.

If you're looking to make a deal with Chicago for Luongo your best option is a combination of 2-3 of the following players: Bickell, Frolik, Leddy, Stalberg, Hayes, Kruger, Crawford, Emery, and our low to medium prospects (i.e. Smith, Morin, Lalonde, Beach). I'd add Olesz to the list but I know the Canucks wouldn't want him. In all likelihood the list of players I mentioned wouldn't be good enough for the Canucks, that's while I still feel a Luongo deal between Chicago and Vancouver won't happen.

Archived