6 replies to this topic

#1 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

So I'm just wondering about my MacBook and it's battery life in terms of charge cycles and how much is too many cycles. Right now, I mostly use it at home, which is not that much and I only have to charge it once every three days. When doing some searches, some people have said if using it only at home, just leave it plugged in, as it doesn't charge after it reaches 100%. Is this true? Also, once I shut it down, won't it go to 99% tomorrow when I turn it on again and it will start charging again? Or does that even matter since it's such a minimal amount?

And, what is a charge cycle? Is it just when you fully drain it and then fully charge it? Or is it one cycle even when you just charge it from say 50-100%?

Thanks!
Posted Image

#2 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Between plugging it in and unplugging it it will start charging again after it drops below 95%.

I don't think you have to worry about anything here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Between plugging it in and unplugging it it will start charging again after it drops below 95%.

I don't think you have to worry about anything here.

I see. So are you saying I should leave it plugged in then?
Posted Image

#4 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Try reading this: http://www.apple.com.../notebooks.html

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal. When your battery no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, you may choose to replace it. If your notebook came with a built-in battery, you should have the battery replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Posted Image

#5 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,836 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

The instructions that came with my laptop (not a MacBook) say that if you leave it plugged in for a long time, it's best to take the battery out.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#6 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

You don't need to worry about it unless you are not unplugging your MacBook for over half a year lol. MacBooks are the gods of laptops. They last forever.

But technically what happens if you leave it plugged in is: after it hits 100% charge, it will automatically reroute the circuit to the wall plug. So it basically disconnects the battery so it's unaffected by the charger until it gradually loses enough charge.

Edited by StevenStamkos, 07 October 2012 - 06:12 PM.

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#7 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

You don't need to worry about it unless you are not unplugging your MacBook for over half a year lol. MacBooks are the gods of laptops. They last forever.

But technically what happens if you leave it plugged in is: after it hits 100% charge, it will automatically reroute the circuit to the wall plug. So it basically disconnects the battery so it's unaffected by the charger until it gradually loses enough charge.

Posted Image

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.