Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

The Rumble 2012: Bill O'Reilly vs Jon Stewart

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

Amazing how a debate between these two is so much more interesting and informative then the current presidential debate.

Stewart 2016 B)

Edited by Tystick, 07 October 2012 - 12:22 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Samk

Samk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

It's better if you purchase it. It's only $5 and half goes to charity

#3 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

It was a good debate. Thoroughly enjoyed it and there were a few good laughs as well.

Stewart came out on top substantively, for the most part.

Some real great points made about corporate welfare vs welfare for citizens.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#4 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

It's better if you purchase it. It's only $5 and half goes to charity

The other half goes to Bill O'Reilly most likely. I'd rather watch it for free and donate my money to local causes like Canuck Place or Doctor's Without Borders, and my local SPCA.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#5 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Just watched it.

Wish real debates were like this!

#6 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,168 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

It'd be generic to say that this was better than the actual presidential debate, but seriously, it was so much better than the actual presidential debate.

G1yN9Kd.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#7 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

My body is ready.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

I feel like both of these guys could do a better job than some of the hacks they have running.

Edited by Jagermeister, 07 October 2012 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,418 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Both really smart guys. Although I don't really agree with Bill O'Reilly, he does know what he's talking about but I agree with the post above. Stewart 2016!!!

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#9 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for sharing the link.

That was interesting, I gotta get myself a portable ramp that lifts me up and down whenever I get an ego boost :P

Gotta say that Stewart did an excellent job.

Posted Image

#10 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I like guys like Stewart and Bill Maher, and will admit a dislike for FOX without really watching any of their programming.

First time seeing O'Reilly extensively, and while I don't agree with some of his ideas, he doesn't really come off as a nut job. Thought he made some good arguments and good discussion.

#11 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Definitely Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

This was so much more entertaining than the Presidential Debate.

LOOOOOL :3

itHkRLv.gif

not posting anything canucks related until october

yolo

#12 Fathoms

Fathoms

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Neil Postman is rolling in his grave.
wordings...

#13 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Haha, great debate. As usual, I agree mostly with Jon Stewart (guy's a champ), but O'Reilly doesn't come off as a douche as he usually does. I've never been a fan of the way he brings people onto his show and intimidates and badgers them. He did a good job in his own right, the guy knows what he's talking about.

Honestly, Stewart probably WOULD make a good president, lol. <- half-joking

RIP LB RR PD

#14 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:37 AM

I have to get around to watching this. As much as I disagree with Bill O'Reilly on most things hes a good sport and makes a good foil to Stewart.

Posted Image

#15 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

Jon Stewart is a political genius. Love him.

/=S=/

#16 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,420 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A051B-uPopM

Amazing how a debate between these two is so much more interesting and informative then the current presidential debate.

Stewart 2016 B)

Kinda funny how it mirrors real life, the republican stooge playing the foil for the democrat orator .

I think it's rad when balls beats natural talent

Shaun Palmer

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#17 Tom-The-Great

Tom-The-Great

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

video doesnt work anymore :(

#18 canuckhound73

canuckhound73

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,209 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

I watched this last night, and I was impressed with both sides.

I can honestly say, with the exception of a couple times flipping channels & seeing him for a minute here or there, I didnt really know Bill O'Reilly from much more than Daily Show & Colbert Report clips.

He had SOME fair points, but of course, in the end, Stewart came across on most points as the victor.
Hearing O'Reilly proclaim he likes Obama was a bit shocking. Didnt expect ANYONE from FOX News to ever say that.

Also - The Colbert training session with Stewart on TDS last week was pure gold. Right down to Clucker Carlson.
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16
16 16 16 16

#19 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

I like guys like Stewart and Bill Maher, and will admit a dislike for FOX without really watching any of their programming.

First time seeing O'Reilly extensively, and while I don't agree with some of his ideas, he doesn't really come off as a nut job. Thought he made some good arguments and good discussion.

Bill O'Reilly went to Harvard, and he has said on air many times that he likes Obama. Here is one thing that will shock many people back home: O'Reilly's ratings are higher than all of CNN's evening programing combined. The problem for most Canadians is that the only thing they have heard about Fox News is second hand information. Also, for many years, they never had a chance to watch the channel for themselves and the only cable news network that they could watch was CNN.

#20 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Bill O'Reilly went to Harvard, and he has said on air many times that he likes Obama.  Here is one thing that will shock many people back home: O'Reilly's ratings are higher than all of CNN's evening programing combined.  The problem for most Canadians is that the only thing they have heard about Fox News is second hand information.  Also, for many years, they never had a chance to watch the channel for themselves and the only cable news network that they could watch was CNN.

good ratings does not always equal good programing or unbiased level head reporting.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#21 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Bill O'Reilly went to Harvard, and he has said on air many times that he likes Obama. Here is one thing that will shock many people back home: O'Reilly's ratings are higher than all of CNN's evening programing combined. The problem for most Canadians is that the only thing they have heard about Fox News is second hand information. Also, for many years, they never had a chance to watch the channel for themselves and the only cable news network that they could watch was CNN.

Fox News is available here. I can't give O'Reilly any credit for now publishing two assassin novels against noted democratic leaders, the last one Killing Kennedy; the end of Camelot really only accomplishes rallying up the far right towards some kind of patriotic pride at the death of a leader.

Anyways, back to Fox News, the cable news channel run by the same Rupert Murdoch charged with illegal hacking and phone tapping. If it's not blatant of the lies that this particular networks serves up on a daily basis then I am wasting my time talking to you. O'Reilly, while being one of the more coherent ones on that channel, once was dependant upon the spill over viewers from Glen Beck. This is a network which continuously refers to President Obama as Mr. Obama, a network which uses Donald Trump's opinion on political views, a network which promotes tea party endeavours and finally a network which has not made the smallest effort to be partisan. This is also a 'news' channel which promoted the notion that extending the debt ceiling would mean borrowing more... a notion which led to the default.

Fox News channel assumes it's viewers to be like-minded in their inability to coherently form an argument. Instead they go off on tangents about Obama's birth certificate, the notion that Obama wishes to lead a communist revival, the denial to acknowledge Obama's hand in the bin Laden killing, and just this past week an utter refusal to acknowledge the decline in the unemployment rate from September's numbers. Name one thing that this news channel has been accurate about and we'll talk; for the most part however it has a stream of lies using pundits as a source, and not real numbers or facts.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#22 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Fox News is available here. I can't give O'Reilly any credit for now publishing two assassin novels against noted democratic leaders, the last one Killing Kennedy; the end of Camelot really only accomplishes rallying up the far right towards some kind of patriotic pride at the death of a leader.

Anyways, back to Fox News, the cable news channel run by the same Rupert Murdoch charged with illegal hacking and phone tapping. If it's not blatant of the lies that this particular networks serves up on a daily basis then I am wasting my time talking to you. O'Reilly, while being one of the more coherent ones on that channel, once was dependant upon the spill over viewers from Glen Beck. This is a network which continuously refers to President Obama as Mr. Obama, a network which uses Donald Trump's opinion on political views, a network which promotes tea party endeavours and finally a network which has not made the smallest effort to be partisan. This is also a 'news' channel which promoted the notion that extending the debt ceiling would mean borrowing more... a notion which led to the default.

Fox News channel assumes it's viewers to be like-minded in their inability to coherently form an argument. Instead they go off on tangents about Obama's birth certificate, the notion that Obama wishes to lead a communist revival, the denial to acknowledge Obama's hand in the bin Laden killing, and just this past week an utter refusal to acknowledge the decline in the unemployment rate from September's numbers. Name one thing that this news channel has been accurate about and we'll talk; for the most part however it has a stream of lies using pundits as a source, and not real numbers or facts.

So Fox News is now on Canadian basic cable? The last time I was home, it was avaliable as a specialty channel on Shaw.

You do know that it is the same Rupert that owns Fox Broadcast network too? The shows in prime time on that channel are definitely the hallmark for social conservatism.

Also, I can say you do not watch Fox News. The reason why I call your bluff is that their "commentators" do not go there. The one that you could say may have is no longer on the network (Glenn Beck). Actually, they vociferously defend against the people portraying those conspiracy ideas. And the news broadcasts are down the middle.

As for September's unemployment numbers, have you read the headlines today? You do know that a major state did not submit its unemployment numbers to be calculated for the third quarter. With their inclusion, the unemployment rate would have went up.

#23 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

So Fox News is now on Canadian basic cable? The last time I was home, it was avaliable as a specialty channel on Shaw.

You do know that it is the same Rupert that owns Fox Broadcast network too? The shows in prime time on that channel are definitely the hallmark for social conservatism.

Also, I can say you do not watch Fox News. The reason why I call your bluff is that their "commentators" do not go there. The one that you could say may have is no longer on the network (Glenn Beck). Actually, they vociferously defend against the people portraying those conspiracy ideas. And the news broadcasts are down the middle.

As for September's unemployment numbers, have you read the headlines today? You do know that a major state did not submit its unemployment numbers to be calculated for the third quarter. With their inclusion, the unemployment rate would have went up.

I said 'once relied upon Glen Beck', I acknowledge that he no longer has a show. Fox unfortunately is not down the middle, and yes it is available through shaw, basic cable doesn't really exist anymore.

Still waiting on that one thing they've been accurate about...

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.