The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lucidity.

VAGHA

I have read several articles about lucid dreaming. I have found that with a little practice, you can guide your dream to any imaginable place. Although, if you try to control your dreams too much, it can all vanish. You have to find "triggers", that allow you become aware in the dream state.

Please feel free to share your stories....

I've been having a lot of WILDS (Waking Induced Lucid Dreams) lately. When going back to sleep after a brief period of wakefulness I'll typically go through a prolonged battle with sleep paralysis where part of my mind will be awake and embodied even though I can no longer exert significant control over myself, and the other half of my mind will be taking all of the physical sensations of paralysis and weightlessness and trying to spin a dream narrative around them. The images are more like mild hallucinations, though I will experience a very real sense of falling through a sky or a dark cavern. This goes on for what feels like twenty minutes until a full blown dream will materialize.

It might be useful to think of this as a mind hack. The transitional stages between sleep and dreaming are not normally something the conscious mind has any awareness of. The conscious "I" is usually the first thing to go. But in the right conditions you can fool your subconscious into thinking you are asleep by remaining perfectly still with your eyes closed. Remember though that when the paralysis kicks in the conscious mind will instinctively react with an overwhelming sense of fear, and in order to explain this fear it may hallucinate aliens or demons or as is the case with myself, shadow people. I think anyone who is aware of what sleep paralysis is and has experienced it will attest to the fact that this is no doubt the most probable explanation of most alien abduction reports.

Anyway, WILDS are pretty rare. My advice for attaining lucidity in dreams is to practice lucidity in waking life. How many times today have you seriously considered whether or not you are dreaming? If you don't ask this question in waking life you sure as hell can't expect yourself to ask this question while you are in a dream. Do it now. Are you dreaming? A good reality check is to read a store sign or a clock, then turn your head away for three seconds, and then look back at it. Dream symbols are highly unstable, and prone to rapid fluctuation. It may sound silly, but one of these days you are going to read that it is 4:08 pm, then look back a moment later and notice it's 7:22 and BAMO! you will find yourself in wonderland. At which point of course you are likely to wake yourself up from the sheer excitement of the discovery. Ah well, remember. It is a mind hack. It's not supposed to be easy.

I have read several articles about lucid dreaming. I have found that with a little practice, you can guide your dream to any imaginable place. Although, if you try to control your dreams too much, it can all vanish. You have to find "triggers", that allow you become aware in the dream state.

My main problem is that when I'm lucid, I always have that lingering thought in the back of my mind telling me that I'm dreaming and that I'm going to wake up any second. I can't shake it, so I always end up waking after a matter of minutes and even that takes a huge amount of effort.

Once a person attains a lucid state in their dream, to help maintain this one should try to be purposeful, and target a solution.

here are some of my experiences:

I have conducted several experiments, while I have dreamt.

(if you get a chance to become lucid, try these things out)

1) Flying: Probably the easiest thing to do. You will only start to

descend if you try to manipulate it too much, or become too excited.

2) Try to look at the moon: I was so successful in this attempt, that not

only did I see the moon, but I also saw the reflection of it in water.

3) Looking in the Mirror: Successful, however don't stare too long as your

body and face will start to transform/distort. The whole experience can be freaky.

4) Light switch: Try to turn the lights off, they say it can't be done because light is

a direct indication of time, and time is determined or calculated differently in dreams.

I've tested this several, and it seems to be true.

The following are experiments are yet to be done:

1) Feel my Heartbeat: placing my hand on my chest in hopes that it will reveal my heartbeat

2) Covering my Eyes: I'm hesitant because this may lead my mind to an unknowing

abyss, that I may not be aware of, I will try it nevertheless

3) Visit My Grandmother: She has passed away, However making contact would be

enlightening, however my guess is that one cannot control that. In this case I hope to

make contact without searching. In other words.... she will find me.

Once a person attains a lucid state in their dream, to help maintain this one should try to be purposeful, and target a solution.

here are some of my experiences:

I have conducted several experiments, while I have dreamt.

(if you get a chance to become lucid, try these things out)

1) Flying: Probably the easiest thing to do. You will only start to

descend if you try to manipulate it too much, or become too excited.

2) Try to look at the moon: I was so successful in this attempt, that not

only did I see the moon, but I also saw the reflection of it in water.

3) Looking in the Mirror: Successful, however don't stare too long as your

body and face will start to transform/distort. The whole experience can be freaky.

4) Light switch: Try to turn the lights off, they say it can't be done because light is

a direct indication of time, and time is determined or calculated differently in dreams.

I've tested this several, and it seems to be true.

The following are experiments are yet to be done:

1) Feel my Heartbeat: placing my hand on my chest in hopes that it will reveal my heartbeat

2) Covering my Eyes: I'm hesitant because this may lead my mind to an unknowing

abyss, that I may not be aware of, I will try it nevertheless

3) Visit My Grandmother: She has passed away, However making contact would be

enlightening, however my guess is that one cannot control that. In this case I hope to

make contact without searching. In other words.... she will find me.

Archived