The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teemu Selanne Calls Out Gary Bettman And Owners

This article was posted on the 17th of September 2012, but did not know about it until today. The only reason I really care about it, is because of the name Teemu Selanne. I have always respected this player in the NHL. I feel Selanne has portrayed himself in the NHL as a player you admire to have played this sport, and to why I feel his opinion actually has some good meaning to this issue. Anyways Selanne went to his blog and has supposedly commented on the issue about the lockout, unfortunately it is in Finnish here is his blog(http://blogit.mtv3.fi/salama/2012/09/17/mika-mattaa-gary-bettman/).

Here is the article I found!

The owners might be under a gag order but the players aren't. That means they can get honest and offer scathing takes on the lockout from the people directly involved in the ongoing CBA negotiations.

As luck would have it, that's exactly what the great Teemu Selanne of the Anaheim Ducks has done via his blog (link in Finnish).

The Finnish Flash who elected to come back for another season in what many presumed to be his farewell tour, would seem to have good reason to be more upset than most at a lockout. After all, he's already in his 40s and every game lost is one that he's not going to get a chance to make up. So he lashed out.

As is always the case with translations from Google (starting to regret my decision to learn Spanish in school), this is a rough translation of Selanne's comments on his blog entitled "What gives, Gary Bettman?" but it gets the point across well enough.

Here is the crux of Selanne's hard-hitting nature of the post, aimed directly at the NHLPA's opposition.

NHL has warned clubs from making too long and the front-heavy contracts. A perfect example is the
owner Craig Leipold, who is also one of the NHL's members of the group. He makes a two-player,
and
in a couple with 13 years and more than $100 million contracts (per player) and tells the hockey world how excited the entire Minnesota is fresh purchases. The next day, he put a jacket on top of the NHL, going to the other side of the table and tells the same hockey world how incomprehensible are these new long-term contracts. Come on! None teams forced to pay such sums, and in the 13 years of absurd contracts. It is their decision! Are NHL clubs still do not know that any of mega long-term deal has not yet been owners of operating. You also have to remember that it has a contractual dispute with 57 per cent share of the players had their offer, which we had to accept. And now, it is not enough!

Gary Bettman has been the NHL's boss for almost 20 years. He was hired by the NHL to bring the salary cap, and so he did, as he had received the salary cap NBA Basketball: acquisition. Twice the lockout has been a stoppage during his reign, and each time the lockout is done. Now it is the third! He is certainly the NHL's most hated person. For every NHL team's arrival at the hall throughout the hall buuaa and show her mind. Yes fans to know! He makes himself more than eight million dollars a year. Would Mr. Bettman willing to give up their salary and give part of it to these "poor" teams? Hmm ... interesting question.

As I warned, the translation is hardly verbatim but you can easily piece it together to decipher the meaning. It's certainly pointed.

Selanne saves his derision for Bettman the most, calling the commissioner "the NHL's most hated person." Considering how Bettman is received anytime he makes a public appearances, that isn't a surprising statement on the surface. But coming from an NHL player, even in a moment of strife? It's noteworthy, at least if not surprising.

Of course the post wouldn't be complete without an apology to the fans. Every single statement we see from now until the season actually begins will contain an apology, I believe it's a requirement by law on statements about the lockout. Still, that doesn't stop him from correctly pointing out that there will be no winners in this lockout, especially should it last long.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/20211658/nhl-lockout-teemu-selanne-rips-gary-bettman-owners-in-blog

I've touched on this in the past, but i will have to quote something close to what a HFboard reponse was to Selanne's "blog".

Selanne, You've had a great career. Please don't ruin it and shut your mouth when it comes down to business

and that is why no one significant has cared to response to Selanne.

This was probably his last year playing, I would be pretty upset too. The guy is a true hockey player, he wants to play, and right now a bunch of super insane wealthy people are arguing over money while denying him his passion in his last years . Its what the NHL has come too. Much <3 for Selanne, hope you get to play one more year, even if its somewhere else.

I've touched on this in the past, but i will have to quote something close to what a HFboard reponse was to Selanne's "blog".

Selanne, You've had a great career. Please don't ruin it and shut your mouth when it comes down to business

and that is why no one significant has cared to response to Selanne.

the players are not in a position to complain. They are way over compensated at 57% guaranteed profit .

The NHL should fire them if they will not come down to 50% and 5 year max contracts.

The NHL should just ask other players to start a new union with the above CBA and start from there. The NHLPA players can go play in the KHL or whatever.

They will put their tail between their legs and come back within a year. Unless they like playing in Russia that is.

the players are not in a position to complain. They are way over compensated at 57% guaranteed profit .

The NHL should fire them if they will not come down to 50% and 5 year max contracts.

The NHL should just ask other players to start a new union with the above CBA and start from there. The NHLPA players can go play in the KHL or whatever.

They will put their tail between their legs and come back within a year. Unless they like playing in Russia that is.

I still believe Selanne nailed it when he said this "A perfect example is the Minnesota owner Craig Leipold, who is also one of the NHL's members of the group. He makes a two-player, Zach Parise and Ryan Suter in a couple with 13 years and more than $100 million contracts (per player) and tells the hockey world how excited the entire Minnesota is fresh purchases. The next day, he put a jacket on top of the NHL, going to the other side of the table and tells the same hockey world how incomprehensible are these new long-term contracts. Come on! None teams forced to pay such sums, and in the 13 years of absurd contracts. It is their decision!"

I still believe Selanne nailed it when he said this "A perfect example is the Minnesota owner Craig Leipold, who is also one of the NHL's members of the group. He makes a two-player, Zach Parise and Ryan Suter in a couple with 13 years and more than $100 million contracts (per player) and tells the hockey world how excited the entire Minnesota is fresh purchases. The next day, he put a jacket on top of the NHL, going to the other side of the table and tells the same hockey world how incomprehensible are these new long-term contracts. Come on! None teams forced to pay such sums, and in the 13 years of absurd contracts. It is their decision!"

I have always respected Teemu and I understand his point. At first I felt compelled to side with the players. But now with it dragging, my care for either sides case is nearly rock bottom.

I get the underlying economics but the continual fleecing of the fans is getting to be too much. I really don't care what either side want anymore.

The most hated person(s) in the NHL are the fans.

Good response, but isn't that what Salenne is doing? Do you honestly think he knows what he is talking about. Bashing Bettman and the Wild for signing Parise and Suter. Neither of those situations are significant to the lockout.

Just like, you judging me for my post. Who cares? It's the same with anyone crying about Bettman. It makes no damn difference and it isn't something people don't already know. If you are going to say something, say something that matters.

If he had any guts, he'd stand up and talk to the players to realize the situation that they have no other choice than to take a cut. Unfortunately, that isn't happening and until the players realize it, the lockout will continue. 2004 all over again. You really think the Owners care to budge? Players losing a year over nothing in 2004. The same damn thing will happen again this time around.

People who think Selanne or any of the players have said anything of importance are kidding themselves. Do your research before you talk, because ahell lot of nhl fans have no idea what they are talking about. Starting with those idiots who want to strike or gather up for no reason.

Good response, but isn't that what Salenne is doing? Do you honestly think he knows what he is talking about. Bashing Bettman and the Wild for signing Parise and Suter. Neither of those situations are significant to the lockout.

Just like, you judging me for my post. Who cares? It's the same with anyone crying about Bettman. It makes no damn difference and it isn't something people don't already know. If you are going to say something, say something that matters.

If he had any guts, he'd stand up and talk to the players to realize the situation that they have no other choice than to take a cut. Unfortunately, that isn't happening and until the players realize it, the lockout will continue. 2004 all over again. You really think the Owners care to budge? Players losing a year over nothing in 2004. The same damn thing will happen again this time around.

People who think Selanne or any of the players have said anything of importance are kidding themselves. Do your research before you talk, because a hell lot of nhl fans have no idea what they are talking about. Starting with those idiots who want to strike or gather up for no reason.

If he had any guts, he'd stand up and talk to the players

to realize the situation that they have no other choice than to take a cut. Unfortunately, that isn't happening and until the players realize it, the lockout will continue. 2004 all over again. You really think the Owners care to budge? Players losing a year over nothing in 2004. The same damn thing will happen again this time around.

People who think Selanne or any of the players have said anything of importance are kidding themselves. Do your research before you talk, because a hell lot of nhl fans have no idea what they are talking about. Starting with those idiots who want to strike or gather up for no reason.

What is Bettman's responsibility in all of this? He gets 8 million dollars for what? Be a mediator or a puppet? Both the head of NHLPA and Bettman are responsible for this mess. They should learn a thing or two from MLB, NBA and NFL because NHL is a second rate league compared to them.

You have to look at it in perspective. How much does Parise and Suter want? and how much it will take to acquire them? It's a winning bid and it's the trade market.

Minnesota's Owner have been saying that players get paid too much for years now, it wasn't just a mind blow change of mind that he said that. He has stand by his opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that if he wants to keep his team competitive, that he'll have to pay that type of money. NTC, Lengths, money are demands from the player and the agent.

you can't expect a team to do absolutely nothing when there's pressure and expectations for the teams

Archived