Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Need renting advice!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

I need to rent a place!

Give me pointers you experienced renters, you!

What's too much of a commute? Focus on price or location? Beware any red flag property owners or management companies? Sublet? Share? etc. etc.?
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#2 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

Don't send money to Mr. bongobongo of nigeria
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#3 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

Check the bedbug registry before moving anywhere.

http://bedbugregistry.com/

#4 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

What you talking about?? I love that guy. He gave me a good deal on a condo downtown. All my stuff gets wet everytime it rains though...but great location!!
Posted Image

#5 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

It really depends. Do you work? Go to school?

I personally hate commuting, so for me location is always paramount. Different areas will also have different pricing, obviously.

Sharing comes down to personal preference and budget. Can you afford to live on your own? Do you like, or can you live with other people?

RIP LB RR PD

#6 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

I need to rent a place!

What's too much of a commute? Focus on price or location? Beware any red flag property owners or management companies? Sublet? Share? etc. etc.?

Location, a good landlord, and, if necessary, good roommate(s) make a world of difference. Price obviously factors in depending on your income (i.e. if the additional cost will affect your quality of life moreso than the above 3)

#7 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

Take pictures of all damage before you move in, print the pictures out and have the owner or rental agent sign each one. That way you are covered from any blame of what is already there. Also look for water damage under the sinks, ceilings, and bathroom. Lastly go there in the evening and sit outside the building and see how loud it is at night. Very lastly, check out the crime rate in the area.

#8 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Get an international roommate. Chances are she'll be hot, drinks a lot and have lots of hot friends, lol.

#9 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

Chances are she'll be hot, drinks a lot and have lots of hot friends, lol.

1. maybe

2. probable

3. maybe

But it's true to a certain degree in that girls who are just here studying English are open to trying to local cuisine, lol.

RIP LB RR PD

#10 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

I will have one up in 3 - 4 months.......

#11 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,782 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

I need to rent a place!

I would go through some of the resources on the BC Residential Tenancy Branch:

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#12 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

I've found that renting the basement of a house is preferable and often cheaper than an apartment.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#13 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Well. I need a room mate.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#14 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

I had a faux renter named Dr. Paul Ettlinger coming in from London with his family to rent my place but over the phone he sounded much like he was from Nigeria. Sent me $26k via DHL as a Canadian certified cheque from Toronto and said that he needed me to pay the furniture transport costs out of that money. Yah, right. The dangers of being the landlord...

Check the bedbug registry before moving anywhere.

http://bedbugregistry.com/

Gross. Good link but gross.

It really depends. Do you work? Go to school?

I personally hate commuting, so for me location is always paramount. Different areas will also have different pricing, obviously.

Sharing comes down to personal preference and budget. Can you afford to live on your own? Do you like, or can you live with other people?

I've a non-traditional setup. I do go to work but I don't have to go 5 days a week. and my commute is surprisingly less than 40 mins.. sometimes even as short as 20 depending on the time of day. I don't mind it... yet. Living very close to work would require a $1000+ rent though, which I'd like to avoid. I've crunched numbers and I would still be in the black with a modest rent despite my debt load and financial obligations. I am thinking that the Mt. Pleasant/Fairview/Grandview/Renfrew areas would suit me best. Not sure about the sharing, quite frankly.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#15 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

Location, a good landlord, and, if necessary, good roommate(s) make a world of difference. Price obviously factors in depending on your income (i.e. if the additional cost will affect your quality of life moreso than the above 3)

But determining what/who is good prior to moving in is the hard part..

Take pictures of all damage before you move in, print the pictures out and have the owner or rental agent sign each one. That way you are covered from any blame of what is already there. Also look for water damage under the sinks, ceilings, and bathroom. Lastly go there in the evening and sit outside the building and see how loud it is at night. Very lastly, check out the crime rate in the area.

Check! Hmm.. wonder if the VPL website has info on criminal activity by area..

Get an international roommate. Chances are she'll be hot, drinks a lot and have lots of hot friends, lol.

lol

#16 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

make sure you read up on what your landlord legally can and can't do. i just started renting a new place and the landlord had written in the lease that i'm not allowed overnight guests without his permission, and that if i get his permission, my guests need to pay him $20 a night.

i read up on it, and your landlord cannot legally prevent you from having guests, even if they write it into your lease agreement. so i've just been having overnight guests, and if my landlord (who lives upstairs) says anything i'm going to be able to beat him down with facts.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#17 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,998 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

Get a sexy, Asian student roommate and invite me over on the regular.

#18 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

I will have one up in 3 - 4 months.......

Thanks but is it in Van? and I am looking for Dec.

I would go through some of the resources on the BC Residential Tenancy Branch:

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/

Good resource for both landlords and tenants!

I've found that renting the basement of a house is preferable and often cheaper than an apartment.

Good point! I'll narrow it to houses. House owners don't have to pay the maintenance fees of condos/apts so don't need to jack up the rental to cover costs.

Well. I need a room mate.

Are you an international hot chick with a lot of hot friends who likes to drink?? j/k

If you're looking for Vancouver, pm me.

#19 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

make sure you read up on what your landlord legally can and can't do. i just started renting a new place and the landlord had written in the lease that i'm not allowed overnight guests without his permission, and that if i get his permission, my guests need to pay him $20 a night.

i read up on it, and your landlord cannot legally prevent you from having guests, even if they write it into your lease agreement. so i've just been having overnight guests, and if my landlord (who lives upstairs) says anything i'm going to be able to beat him down with facts.

Interesting! Thanks.

Get a sexy, Asian student roommate and invite me over on the regular.

lol. k. i'll get roommate applicants to produce a headshot for your approval. although, like I said, I don't know asians in van who look like those in the asian girl thread.

#20 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

Well, a lot of this is going to depend on what specifically you are looking for. I'll tell you my experience but it's really going to depend on your priorities. Everyone's different!

As far as location goes I generally choose somewhere that I like to be on my downtime (as in evenings and weekends.) Proximity to work is not so important, especially since in my industry I tend to change jobs frequently, more frequently than I'd move. I'd rather be close to grocery stores, shops, and be in an area that's close to downtown than live close to work. Yes, commuting is a pain, but I'd rather do that than be isolated in the suburbs just to save myself some time commuting. But again, this really depends on your priorities.

As for rental types, the neighbourhoods you're looking at have tons of rental apartment buildings. I personally much prefer renting an apartment vs. a suite in a house because then you're dealing with professional building managers. I find renting from homeowners can be a bit sketchy. It's fine, you've just got to be sure they know what they're doing. Nothing worse than having to wait weeks for a repair or having it done shoddily because the homeowner tried to do it themselves to save money.

Some other things to check:

1. Laundry. Trust me, you really want to have laundry at least in the building. Laundromats are a pain in the butt.

2. ALWAYS check the water pressure on the shower!

3. Find out what kind of heating they have. This can make a big difference to your costs. In my building we have hot water heat so it's free! I once had a building claim it had free heat and hot water but it turned out the heat was electric and showed up on my hydro bill. Another house I lived had an oil furnace for heat and the cost for that was astronomical. If you do have to pay for your heating, check to make sure the windows, doors etc. are well sealed and if possible ask about the insulation, especially if you plan to rent a basement or ground floor suite as those can get very chilly.

4. Similar to point 3, if you're paying for hydro find out how energy efficient the appliances and lighting are. Again, this can make a big difference to the overall cost of the apartment. A place with cheaper rent might come back to bite you in the butt with the cost of bills so make sure you factor in everything.

4. Get tenant's insurance! The homeowner's insurance will cover damage to the suite itself, but not damage to your stuff in the event of a flood/fire etc.

One tip, not all rentals advertise online. If you're able, it's really a good idea to pick the neighbourhood you want to live in then just walk around looking for for rent signs. You can often book a showing the same day.

I'll post more here if I think of anything else. Good luck with your search!
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#21 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm goint to rent my basement in the next few months. In floor heating, huge shower with rain head, views of north shore, laundry, close to two bus routes. pay me!

#22 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

A couple problems with that.
First is that usually it will have low ceilings. Often under 7 foot. If your 6' or taller it can be an issue. I am 6' even and while I never bumped my head it felt very claustrophobic just looking at a few basement suites. I wouldnt want to live in one like that.
Second is that noise travels very easily from upstairs and kids especially can be very noisy. The chances of it having proper noise insulation are very low.
Third usually the basement wasnt originally designed to be a suite so it is pretty common for the layout to be screwy. How screwy can vary widely depending on the place.

Posted Image

#23 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

BUMP!

i'm 2 and a half months into a 6 month lease. i want to leave this place and move downtown though. does anyone know what getting out of a renting lease is like? is there a fee or something for breaking a lease?

thanks!
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#24 Beer-League-Goalie

Beer-League-Goalie

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I need to rent a place!

I need to rent a place!

As a first time landlord (renting out my basement suite) make sure you know what you are getting.

The second tenant i rented to freaked out when she came to the conclusion that a basement suite might have the odd spider...
That was after one day of living there and she moved out... She never actually did see a spider though.

Be sure you ask what is included, such as hydro, internet, any other utilities.
If at all possible try and get it inclusive.
be prepared to give references such as last landlord, work refs and personal.

I had some clown show up once asking wtf? why do i need them?
needless to say I did not rent to him.

#25 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Well, a lot of this is going to depend on what specifically you are looking for. I'll tell you my experience but it's really going to depend on your priorities. Everyone's different!

As far as location goes I generally choose somewhere that I like to be on my downtime (as in evenings and weekends.) Proximity to work is not so important, especially since in my industry I tend to change jobs frequently, more frequently than I'd move. I'd rather be close to grocery stores, shops, and be in an area that's close to downtown than live close to work. Yes, commuting is a pain, but I'd rather do that than be isolated in the suburbs just to save myself some time commuting. But again, this really depends on your priorities.

As for rental types, the neighbourhoods you're looking at have tons of rental apartment buildings. I personally much prefer renting an apartment vs. a suite in a house because then you're dealing with professional building managers. I find renting from homeowners can be a bit sketchy. It's fine, you've just got to be sure they know what they're doing. Nothing worse than having to wait weeks for a repair or having it done shoddily because the homeowner tried to do it themselves to save money.

Some other things to check:

1. Laundry. Trust me, you really want to have laundry at least in the building. Laundromats are a pain in the butt.

2. ALWAYS check the water pressure on the shower!

3. Find out what kind of heating they have. This can make a big difference to your costs. In my building we have hot water heat so it's free! I once had a building claim it had free heat and hot water but it turned out the heat was electric and showed up on my hydro bill. Another house I lived had an oil furnace for heat and the cost for that was astronomical. If you do have to pay for your heating, check to make sure the windows, doors etc. are well sealed and if possible ask about the insulation, especially if you plan to rent a basement or ground floor suite as those can get very chilly.

4. Similar to point 3, if you're paying for hydro find out how energy efficient the appliances and lighting are. Again, this can make a big difference to the overall cost of the apartment. A place with cheaper rent might come back to bite you in the butt with the cost of bills so make sure you factor in everything.

4. Get tenant's insurance! The homeowner's insurance will cover damage to the suite itself, but not damage to your stuff in the event of a flood/fire etc.

One tip, not all rentals advertise online. If you're able, it's really a good idea to pick the neighbourhood you want to live in then just walk around looking for for rent signs. You can often book a showing the same day.

I'll post more here if I think of anything else. Good luck with your search!

Good tips CJ. Thanks.

I'm goint to rent my basement in the next few months. In floor heating, huge shower with rain head, views of north shore, laundry, close to two bus routes. pay me!

If it's in either the Mt. Pleasant, Fairview, Grandview or Renfrew area, pm me!

A couple problems with that.
First is that usually it will have low ceilings. Often under 7 foot. If your 6' or taller it can be an issue. I am 6' even and while I never bumped my head it felt very claustrophobic just looking at a few basement suites. I wouldnt want to live in one like that.
Second is that noise travels very easily from upstairs and kids especially can be very noisy. The chances of it having proper noise insulation are very low.
Third usually the basement wasnt originally designed to be a suite so it is pretty common for the layout to be screwy. How screwy can vary widely depending on the place.

Hmmm.. good point. Kids annoy me more than the low ceiling though.

#26 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

Hmmm.. good point. Kids annoy me more than the low ceiling though.

I have direct experience with that. 18 years ago I lived in the Queensborough area of New West in a basement suite in a house, It was a new house so had decent height ceilings. Nice asian couple with 2 young kids. Whenever the Dad wasnt home those kids would be screaming and yelling and banging around. Every. Single. Day. I could hear it all very clearly. At least they were quiet at night. I wouldnt have rented the place if I had known it would be like that. Stuck it out for less than a year before I bought my first place. So my recommendation is dont rent in a family home.

Posted Image

#27 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

I have direct experience with that. 18 years ago I lived in the Queensborough area of New West in a basement suite in a house, It was a new house so had decent height ceilings. Nice asian couple with 2 young kids. Whenever the Dad wasnt home those kids would be screaming and yelling and banging around. Every. Single. Day. I could hear it all very clearly. At least they were quiet at night. I wouldnt have rented the place if I had known it would be like that. Stuck it out for less than a year before I bought my first place. So my recommendation is dont rent in a family home.

so living near multiple families is somehow better than living near one family ? You then bought instead of moving into an apartment?

You just had a bad exp. That is all.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 15 October 2012 - 06:17 AM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.