The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need renting advice!

Mainly Mattias

It really depends. Do you work? Go to school?

I personally hate commuting, so for me location is always paramount. Different areas will also have different pricing, obviously.

Sharing comes down to personal preference and budget. Can you afford to live on your own? Do you like, or can you live with other people?

Take pictures of all damage before you move in, print the pictures out and have the owner or rental agent sign each one. That way you are covered from any blame of what is already there. Also look for water damage under the sinks, ceilings, and bathroom. Lastly go there in the evening and sit outside the building and see how loud it is at night. Very lastly, check out the crime rate in the area.

make sure you read up on what your landlord legally can and can't do. i just started renting a new place and the landlord had written in the lease that i'm not allowed overnight guests without his permission, and that if i get his permission, my guests need to pay him $20 a night.

i read up on it, and your landlord cannot legally prevent you from having guests, even if they write it into your lease agreement. so i've just been having overnight guests, and if my landlord (who lives upstairs) says anything i'm going to be able to beat him down with facts.

make sure you read up on what your landlord legally can and can't do. i just started renting a new place and the landlord had written in the lease that i'm not allowed overnight guests without his permission, and that if i get his permission, my guests need to pay him $20 a night.

i read up on it, and your landlord cannot legally prevent you from having guests, even if they write it into your lease agreement. so i've just been having overnight guests, and if my landlord (who lives upstairs) says anything i'm going to be able to beat him down with facts.

Well, a lot of this is going to depend on what specifically you are looking for. I'll tell you my experience but it's really going to depend on your priorities. Everyone's different!

As far as location goes I generally choose somewhere that I like to be on my downtime (as in evenings and weekends.) Proximity to work is not so important, especially since in my industry I tend to change jobs frequently, more frequently than I'd move. I'd rather be close to grocery stores, shops, and be in an area that's close to downtown than live close to work. Yes, commuting is a pain, but I'd rather do that than be isolated in the suburbs just to save myself some time commuting. But again, this really depends on your priorities.

As for rental types, the neighbourhoods you're looking at have tons of rental apartment buildings. I personally much prefer renting an apartment vs. a suite in a house because then you're dealing with professional building managers. I find renting from homeowners can be a bit sketchy. It's fine, you've just got to be sure they know what they're doing. Nothing worse than having to wait weeks for a repair or having it done shoddily because the homeowner tried to do it themselves to save money.

Some other things to check:

1. Laundry. Trust me, you really want to have laundry at least in the building. Laundromats are a pain in the butt.

2. ALWAYS check the water pressure on the shower!

3. Find out what kind of heating they have. This can make a big difference to your costs. In my building we have hot water heat so it's free! I once had a building claim it had free heat and hot water but it turned out the heat was electric and showed up on my hydro bill. Another house I lived had an oil furnace for heat and the cost for that was astronomical. If you do have to pay for your heating, check to make sure the windows, doors etc. are well sealed and if possible ask about the insulation, especially if you plan to rent a basement or ground floor suite as those can get very chilly.

4. Similar to point 3, if you're paying for hydro find out how energy efficient the appliances and lighting are. Again, this can make a big difference to the overall cost of the apartment. A place with cheaper rent might come back to bite you in the butt with the cost of bills so make sure you factor in everything.

4. Get tenant's insurance! The homeowner's insurance will cover damage to the suite itself, but not damage to your stuff in the event of a flood/fire etc.

One tip, not all rentals advertise online. If you're able, it's really a good idea to pick the neighbourhood you want to live in then just walk around looking for for rent signs. You can often book a showing the same day.

I'll post more here if I think of anything else. Good luck with your search!

Archived