Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Whos lockout opinion do you agree with: Wayne Gretzky or Bob McKenzie?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Whos lockout opinion do you agree with: Wayne Gretzky or Bob McKenzie? (131 member(s) have cast votes)

Whos lockout opinion do you agree with?

1. Bob McKenzie ( " I suspect the season will be lost" ) (71 votes [54.20%])

Percentage of vote: 54.20%

2. Wayne Gretzky ( " i think they'll be playing by January 1" ) (60 votes [45.80%])

Percentage of vote: 45.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Southpop45

Southpop45

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

its really interesting that two really important hockey figures have different views on how the lockout will go:

bob mckenzie - when bob " the hockey god " mckenzie says he suspects the season will be lost, a real

bad shiver goes down my spine. as well as having 20 odd years of hockey/ nhl realted experience, he

is also an insider on what is really going on with these talks. however he did say there is room for hope

though.

wayne gretzky - the greazt one's opinion is always highly respected so when he said he thought that they

would be playing by jan1, i really started to get positive. however he is not apart of these talks in any way.

so you kind of have to take his opinion for whatever its worth.

what do you guys think?

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

Do you really think Gretz doesn't know what is going on? The greatest player to ever play the game, he's got connections. He knows whats going on, for sure.

As for your question, I guess we'll just have to wait and see - it could easily go either way. They could figure it out tomorrow, maybe not until next July. Who knows.

I'm going to go with Gretz, just because I HOPE we are seeing hockey by the new year.

/=S=/

#3 kacholu

kacholu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

It's just an opinion from two hockey people. To tell you the truth there is no one and I mean no one on this planet that knows when the lockout will end. Gary Betmen doesn't even know when it will end.

So take opinions for what they are. Right now, there are many signs that we will have jockey back and many that there will be no hockey. Pretty much glass half full/empty kind of situation at this point in time.

#4 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:35 AM

Who cares? We've already lost hockey until December. Might as well scrap the whole season, playing half of one just wouldn't be the same.

Sig too big. 

#5 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

Who cares? We've already lost hockey until December. Might as well scrap the whole season, playing half of one just wouldn't be the same.

That is a horrible view to have, be more positive. If it doesn't start until December, that means we get Kesler back injury free and ready to go. It also means that guys like Kassian and Tanev get time in the minors to develop a bit before they go back to the NHL. I think if the season does start by December we could have a good chance to make a deep playoff run.
Posted Image

#6 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

We'll see hockey this year, it's as successful as it's ever been. The NHL lost a lot of money during the last lock out, just imagine how much they'll lose this time.. A couple billion dollars lost is a whole lot of cash, no way they will let that happen. lol

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#7 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

That is a horrible view to have, be more positive. If it doesn't start until December, that means we get Kesler back injury free and ready to go. It also means that guys like Kassian and Tanev get time in the minors to develop a bit before they go back to the NHL. I think if the season does start by December we could have a good chance to make a deep playoff run.

And Luongo will be easily traded since he doesn't start playing his game till December anyways! So his stats will be on the good half of the year!

Bingo Bongo more back for Luongo!

#8 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

I hate that this whole lockout is about preserving the profits of the big clubs, but getting enough concessions from the players to support the crap ones.

If two teams fall over (which is the should happens as some teams are a false economy), 50 odd players reduce the pool to a more competitive level.

And they would have to compete for contracts that still fall within the salary cap.

You can decide for yourself who wins there; owners or players?

But then you will see the hockey would get better again!

So, does Wayne still have shares in Phoenix? Guess he is cheering for the players to bend, cuz he has the most to loose...

:blush:

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 08 October 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#9 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

80% of the time, Bobby Mac is right every time.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#10 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

POPULAR

To be honest, a small part of me hopes that the season is lost, and that the NHL (specifically the owners) feels some very, very serious, lasting and permanent damages because of this, which might force Gary to be replaced if for no other reason that the optics of it.

I will point out again that I live in Chicago, and the NHL lockout is NOT AN ISSUE down here. That can't be stressed enough. Nobody really cares. And it'll be even less relevant once the NBA starts up again in a few weeks' time.

The NHL has made a serious, serious error with this, and I'd kinda like to see it suffer some pretty severe consequences, to be frank.

#11 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

Bobby Mac
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

Gretzky was a great player, but seriously, what does he know? I just hope Bob is wrong, or at least there's a margin of error.

#13 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

This may sound bad but I personally hope they stay out for the whole season. Then these greedy pigs can really get together and decide how they will NOT divide the $3.3 Billion dollars they're scrapping over. Not only that but lets see them go to market and try to EARN back their fans. Watching MLB, NFL and MLS has filled my "sports" void for now.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#14 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

Do you really think Gretz doesn't know what is going on? The greatest player to ever play the game, he's got connections. He knows whats going on, for sure.

As for your question, I guess we'll just have to wait and see - it could easily go either way. They could figure it out tomorrow, maybe not until next July. Who knows.

I'm going to go with Gretz, just because I HOPE we are seeing hockey by the new year.

So Gretz has connections. Connections to what? Is there a bottom line on either side that triggers a settlement? I hope so but doubt a short term settlement. I think the season is done.

Some have this idea that only if Bettman was gone a deal would happen. I think the owners have taken a beating over the failure of the 2004 CBA creating a long term solution. As much as players want to think their the only ones hurting from that deal and the new proposal in 2012 I suggest otherwise. It is unrealistic to think that 6 - 8 teams will make up for the revenue shortfall be experienced by the rest of the league on an ongoing basis.

Someone from Chicago talked about the lockout meaning nothing there. I recently talked to a sports fan from Florida. He said that hockey isn't on the radar at the best of times. In his area it is college football and NFL, end of conversation.

#15 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Someone from Chicago talked about the lockout meaning nothing there. I recently talked to a sports fan from Florida. He said that hockey isn't on the radar at the best of times. In his area it is college football and NFL, end of conversation.

Without a doubt, yes. I spent a significant amount of time in Tennessee last year. Same thing. Football, football, football. High school football, even, caused traffic jams.

And that's why it's so shocking that this is being done (again). The NHL is not nearly established enough outside of Canada and a select few fool-proof American markets (Chicago being one of them, even though they really don't care) to be taking games away.

#16 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

you want to know whats more irritating.. when employees normally go on strike... or are locked out... the union meet daily with ownership to get a deal done as soon as possible...not with the nhl.. they meet once a week..or there are no talks planned....what a load of bs... which seems to me like they use the anger of fans as a bargaining chips....time to start a new league..nahl.... get er done..who is in..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

To be honest, a small part of me hopes that the season is lost, and that the NHL (specifically the owners) feels some very, very serious, lasting and permanent damages because of this, which might force Gary to be replaced if for no other reason that the optics of it.

I will point out again that I live in Chicago, and the NHL lockout is NOT AN ISSUE down here. That can't be stressed enough. Nobody really cares. And it'll be even less relevant once the NBA starts up again in a few weeks' time.

The NHL has made a serious, serious error with this, and I'd kinda like to see it suffer some pretty severe consequences, to be frank.

Most sensible post you ever made.
And the fact that you are talking about Chicago should scare the shat out of the NHL.
If an original six market that recently won a Cup doesn't give a crap, they should take note.
The lockout is an exceedingly arrogant move - as Surfer points out above - it is taking the fanbase for granted, and propping up an unavoidable contradiction - preserve the mega revenues of the power franchises, and use the players to prop up the peripheral markets that Bettman et al, not the players, chose to move into.

Edited by oldnews, 08 October 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#18 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Without a doubt, yes. I spent a significant amount of time in Tennessee last year. Same thing. Football, football, football. High school football, even, caused traffic jams.

And that's why it's so shocking that this is being done (again). The NHL is not nearly established enough outside of Canada and a select few fool-proof American markets (Chicago being one of them, even though they really don't care) to be taking games away.

i know try finding any info on hockey when down in the states.. is all football.baseball, and basketball...and they said that they have lost 100million in revenue all ready... to me this would be a no brainer get a deal done asap... not when the nhl is concerned . its wait the union out as long as possible...who cares about the fans..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm sticking with Don Cherry

there will be a season it's just gonna start late

nice to see the great one is on his bandwagon

#20 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Screw the NHL.

I'm lighting it up twice a week in beer league.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#21 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

I find it hard to believe that the players and owners are so out of touch with reality that they could let another season get cancelled. But who knows, it's very possible that I'm underestimating the level of greed at work here.

All I ask is that people remember that neither the players or owners care about the fans. The fans are ATM's as far as they're concerned.

#22 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Gretzky

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#23 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

I didn't see Bob Mackenzie say what he did, but when it comes to Gretzky, it was more of an optimistic opinion. They asked him whether or not he would think that hockey would be back by January. He hesitated with a "I think so". What else would he be expected to say?

TSN and media made Gretzky's comment a bigger deal than it should be.

Edited by Rey, 08 October 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#24 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,540 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have a feeling that the season will be lost but I hope it starts as soon as possible.

307mg00.jpg

#25 roland

roland

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

The NHL doesn't seem to be taking this matter too seriously and think Bob's prediction is right

#26 Canucklehead73

Canucklehead73

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Well tell you what, the fact that they meet 2 hours last week and then the NHL travels to the NHLPA to re-start negotiations is very very telling.... I think this is a different situation from the last lockout simply due to the fact that the NHL is making money under the durrent CBA. So they are actually losing profits that could have been banked. I think the NHL sent Bettman back to the table to get it done.

I think if the NHL admitted responsibility to escalating the salaries themselves they might talk the NHLPA into some realistic concessions...
Go Canucks Go!

#27 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

There will be no season. Not happy about it but the two sides are just too far apart. My personal fealing is that I hate and blame Bettman and the owners. But I believe that the players are really to blame for trying to be so greedy. Its unfair that some players get 10 mil per season when some teams cant even generate 10 mil in revenues. BUT I work for Canada Post, and we were locked out for a couple of weeks over a year ago. Then we were legislated back and both the union and CanPostCorp forced to bang out an agreement while we kept working. So why cant the NHL do that? There should be a time where if no agreemnet is met then binding arbitration. But let the players play and the owners own in the meantime.

#28 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

I wonder, if the season is only 50 games long and the Canucks go on to win the cup , will it still be a huge accomplishment?
personaly i'm not sure. :(

#29 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Well tell you what, the fact that they meet 2 hours last week and then the NHL travels to the NHLPA to re-start negotiations is very very telling....

Not really. They're doing it for optics more than anything, I would guess. If they're not even negotiating, people will complain that they're not even trying.

#30 hero11

hero11

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

NHL needs to lose a year, fans, and money! The greed of the owners and players just disgusts me. They need to both take a cut in revenue and give the fans a break! Cut those ridiculous ticket prices down!! (Canada and other good markets) Get rid of those markets that don't produce and move them. It's so simple it's stupid. Losing a full year, or more just might accomplish that! Interest in the NHL will plummet, especially in the states, and markets will be forced to try and draw back their fan base. Canadian teams will still probably be fine as this is our sport. The american fan base doesn't care. It's football season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.