The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whos lockout opinion do you agree with: Wayne Gretzky or Bob McKenzie?

Southpop45

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find it hard to believe that the players and owners are so out of touch with reality that they could let another season get cancelled. But who knows, it's very possible that I'm underestimating the level of greed at work here.

All I ask is that people remember that neither the players or owners care about the fans. The fans are ATM's as far as they're concerned.

I didn't see Bob Mackenzie say what he did, but when it comes to Gretzky, it was more of an optimistic opinion. They asked him whether or not he would think that hockey would be back by January. He hesitated with a "I think so". What else would he be expected to say?

TSN and media made Gretzky's comment a bigger deal than it should be.

Well tell you what, the fact that they meet 2 hours last week and then the NHL travels to the NHLPA to re-start negotiations is very very telling.... I think this is a different situation from the last lockout simply due to the fact that the NHL is making money under the durrent CBA. So they are actually losing profits that could have been banked. I think the NHL sent Bettman back to the table to get it done.

I think if the NHL admitted responsibility to escalating the salaries themselves they might talk the NHLPA into some realistic concessions...

There will be no season. Not happy about it but the two sides are just too far apart. My personal fealing is that I hate and blame Bettman and the owners. But I believe that the players are really to blame for trying to be so greedy. Its unfair that some players get 10 mil per season when some teams cant even generate 10 mil in revenues. BUT I work for Canada Post, and we were locked out for a couple of weeks over a year ago. Then we were legislated back and both the union and CanPostCorp forced to bang out an agreement while we kept working. So why cant the NHL do that? There should be a time where if no agreemnet is met then binding arbitration. But let the players play and the owners own in the meantime.

NHL needs to lose a year, fans, and money! The greed of the owners and players just disgusts me. They need to both take a cut in revenue and give the fans a break! Cut those ridiculous ticket prices down!! (Canada and other good markets) Get rid of those markets that don't produce and move them. It's so simple it's stupid. Losing a full year, or more just might accomplish that! Interest in the NHL will plummet, especially in the states, and markets will be forced to try and draw back their fan base. Canadian teams will still probably be fine as this is our sport. The american fan base doesn't care. It's football season.

Bob Mac doesn't even have a position on the subject. He says the season could be lost but there's room to negotiate and the lockout might end. That's not a position. It's just yadayada.

Gretzky has a firm position. He says we will have hockey.

I think Gretz is right. Not because I think he has secret knowledge. It's because I also believe the same thing. It's an educated guess made from publicly available information.

Bob Mackenzie is generally well-informed on hockey matters. And considering the negotiations have made very little progress, it would take an extremely favorable situation for a season to start. I can't see it happening. The owners and players are playing a hardball game of brinkmanship and they're both prepared to go all the way.

Out of all hockey analysts, I respect Bob Mackenzie the most, but I agree with the Great One and think that there'll be hockey by January 1. I just can't see the NHL skipping the Winter Classic, it's possibly the biggest hockey event of the year. I could see the Classic being the first game of the season though perhaps, like how the NBA did with Christmas games.

So Gretz has connections. Connections to what? Is there a bottom line on either side that triggers a settlement? I hope so but doubt a short term settlement. I think the season is done.

Some have this idea that only if Bettman was gone a deal would happen. I think the owners have taken a beating over the failure of the 2004 CBA creating a long term solution. As much as players want to think their the only ones hurting from that deal and the new proposal in 2012 I suggest otherwise. It is unrealistic to think that 6 - 8 teams will make up for the revenue shortfall be experienced by the rest of the league on an ongoing basis.

Someone from Chicago talked about the lockout meaning nothing there. I recently talked to a sports fan from Florida. He said that hockey isn't on the radar at the best of times. In his area it is college football and NFL, end of conversation.

I think the players are going to be more stubborn this time. I think the whole season is lost, and maybe even part of next season. It's not a happy way to look at it, but that's what I'm expecting. If we get hockey sooner than that, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

Archived