Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Whos lockout opinion do you agree with: Wayne Gretzky or Bob McKenzie?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Whos lockout opinion do you agree with: Wayne Gretzky or Bob McKenzie? (131 member(s) have cast votes)

Whos lockout opinion do you agree with?

1. Bob McKenzie ( " I suspect the season will be lost" ) (71 votes [54.20%])

Percentage of vote: 54.20%

2. Wayne Gretzky ( " i think they'll be playing by January 1" ) (60 votes [45.80%])

Percentage of vote: 45.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I agree with neither because neither knows.

Gretzky's opinion is based in his unofficial position as ambassador to the game and league he took nearly single handedly to the next level.

MacKenzie's opinion is based in his official position of a yellow journalist.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#32 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Bob Mac doesn't even have a position on the subject. He says the season could be lost but there's room to negotiate and the lockout might end. That's not a position. It's just yadayada.

Gretzky has a firm position. He says we will have hockey.

I think Gretz is right. Not because I think he has secret knowledge. It's because I also believe the same thing. It's an educated guess made from publicly available information.

#33 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Bob
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#34 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Bob Mackenzie is generally well-informed on hockey matters. And considering the negotiations have made very little progress, it would take an extremely favorable situation for a season to start. I can't see it happening. The owners and players are playing a hardball game of brinkmanship and they're both prepared to go all the way.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#35 Green Goblin

Green Goblin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I can't believe you just compared Bob Mckenzie and Wayne Gretzky. I know their statements are completely relevant, but obviously you have to go with Gretzky. Half the things Bob says are just scripted in there to make it seem more insightful.
Posted Image

#36 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Out of all hockey analysts, I respect Bob Mackenzie the most, but I agree with the Great One and think that there'll be hockey by January 1. I just can't see the NHL skipping the Winter Classic, it's possibly the biggest hockey event of the year. I could see the Classic being the first game of the season though perhaps, like how the NBA did with Christmas games.
Posted Image

#37 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

I don't know how I can agree with either side regarding Canucks talk, since neither one of these 2 people are part of the Canucks team.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#38 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

So Gretz has connections. Connections to what? Is there a bottom line on either side that triggers a settlement? I hope so but doubt a short term settlement. I think the season is done.

Some have this idea that only if Bettman was gone a deal would happen. I think the owners have taken a beating over the failure of the 2004 CBA creating a long term solution. As much as players want to think their the only ones hurting from that deal and the new proposal in 2012 I suggest otherwise. It is unrealistic to think that 6 - 8 teams will make up for the revenue shortfall be experienced by the rest of the league on an ongoing basis.

Someone from Chicago talked about the lockout meaning nothing there. I recently talked to a sports fan from Florida. He said that hockey isn't on the radar at the best of times. In his area it is college football and NFL, end of conversation.

I'm not saying he's got connections to get a deal done. I'm saying he's got to have connections and knows what is going on between the PA and the league, not that he has a say.

/=S=/

#39 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

I think the players are going to be more stubborn this time. I think the whole season is lost, and maybe even part of next season. It's not a happy way to look at it, but that's what I'm expecting. If we get hockey sooner than that, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#40 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

I hope Gretz, but I think Bob..
Posted Image

#41 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Screw the NHL.

I'm lighting it up twice a week in beer league.

Same here. I wasn't playing in 04/05, so at least there's still hockey in my life this time around. Of course, I got run into the boards last night (knee is very swollen), so I might be stuck on the couch for some time.

#42 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Wayne Gretzky taking the optomistic approach

Mckenzie taking his honest approach. That being said if no season by January, there will be no season at all.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#43 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

NHL needs to lose a year, fans, and money! The greed of the owners and players just disgusts me. They need to both take a cut in revenue and give the fans a break! Cut those ridiculous ticket prices down!! (Canada and other good markets) Get rid of those markets that don't produce and move them. It's so simple it's stupid. Losing a full year, or more just might accomplish that! Interest in the NHL will plummet, especially in the states, and markets will be forced to try and draw back their fan base. Canadian teams will still probably be fine as this is our sport. The american fan base doesn't care. It's football season.

Exactly, in Canada hockey is a religion, in the US it is EASILY REPLACEABLE entertainment, this is why the Leafs can have a joke of a team for the better part of 40 years and still be the richest team in the League with the highest ticket prices in the league, while the Devils can have a new arena, multiple cups, hall of fame players and one of the best teams for the last 20 years and still not draw flies. The NHL has created a major problem for itself, it has opened up a huge gap between haves and have nots with its reckless pursuit of the US corporate dollar, has loads of poorly run franchises because it has sought out INVESTORS rather than OWNERS. Owners get involved because they love the sport and want to run a team, investors get involved because they want to sell for a profit. Owning an NHL team should involve more than having money (or convincing the BoG that you can get it), it should be more like Dragons Den, you should have to convince the owners that you have a sound business plan and can make a profit without the league having to cover your losses indefinitely.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 09 October 2012 - 04:47 AM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#44 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

Whether we have a season or not depends I think on how much pressure NBC puts on the NHL brass to have the Winter Classic.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#45 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,827 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

I hate to say it, but I see little reason for optimism. Even though there have been recent meetings between the league and the PA, they're not even discussing core issues at this point...

I'm with Bob.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#46 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,274 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm not saying he's got connections to get a deal done. I'm saying he's got to have connections and knows what is going on between the PA and the league, not that he has a say.

My thought wasn't that Gretzky would be involved in any way with negociations. My point was how would Gretzky know any possible conclusion when the two main players cannot seem to get on the same page. Hopes of some quasi independant 3rd party riding to the rescue is dreaming. It is becoming more obvious that the NHL and NHLPA both have a set of numbers that are not the same. I have not heard that the NHLPA has disagreed with the HRR but it was a topic of conversation between thw two last week. You would have thought that if the NHLPA did not believe those numbers they would have gone public.

Since the CBA seems to be based on a % of revenue then the cost of running the NHL falls on the NHL to defend. If they feel their cost cannot be met unless the players take a smaller cut of revenue then that is their decision and they suffer the consequences. They risk the loss of revenue from this year and a possible destruction of their franchises over the long term. They risk their relationships with the players, their vendors, their possible stock holders and most importantly their media buyers. IMO there is more at stake here than greedy billionaires wanting to 'stick it' to some greedy millionaires. That scenario is a gross over simplification.

#47 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,695 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Do you really think Gretz doesn't know what is going on? The greatest player to ever play the game, he's got connections. He knows whats going on, for sure.

As for your question, I guess we'll just have to wait and see - it could easily go either way. They could figure it out tomorrow, maybe not until next July. Who knows.

I'm going to go with Gretz, just because I HOPE we are seeing hockey by the new year.

Mario was better. :towel:

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#48 Biznow

Biznow

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

The players made all the concessions last time, I have a feeling they aren't going to be making any major concessions this time around before the winter classic, its a good bargaining chip. Because of this, I'm leaning towards Bob McKenzie (whom has never really taken hockey off the table this season, but seems to be thinking the season being lost is a very real possibility).

There is a possibility this could be Bettman's demise. If the whole season is lost, I'm hoping we might see a division in the owners between the haves and the have-nots. I think if we start hearing of votes among the owners going 5/6 to 24/25, then Bettman will be gone when all the dust settles.

If the day ever comes where Bettman "steps down" or gets fired or whatever, I fully expect Olympic gold medal style exuberance to spill into the streets around Canada. Cars honking, flags waving, pure joy, the whole bit.

Posted Image~Biznow

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.