The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lockout: We should keep both goalie

canucks_qc

I'm sure there will have a season this year, hope for an 82 games season. The best for our team would be to keep Luongo and Schneider, when the lockout will be over, there will have a lot of games played in few days and a lot of 2 games in 2 days.

We have the best goaltender duo in the league and it's an advantage we have. Number one goalie usually play about 60 games, by now we can still having an 82 games season, even if they don't play a game until November, every games could be move somewhere else in the schedule. So in a shorter schedule, playing the same number of games would be too much. I always tough we should keep both even if it was a regular season, Schneider showed a lot of skills I'm not sure yet if he can play 60 games per season and give us the same result, so of course I don't want him to play too much games in a shorter season.

I think in a shorter season Luongo and Schneider should split almost 50 - 50 the starts. Trading Luongo or Schneider shouldn't be an option, any of them can't play every 2 days and do great in the playoffs, In a normal season I'll be fine trying Lack, but nothing would be normal for this season. Only on player is on the ice for 60 minutes and it's the man behind the mask, so by keeping them we'll be sure we have a top shape goalie every night beeing able to win every games even in the playoff.

Would it be great to have two goalies who played on a #1 rythm, making us a more competetive team, and no matter who would be our starting goaltender for the playoffs he would have played less games than any other 15 goalies in the playoff?

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Luongo

Schneider

It's not a terrible lineup, in fact it's a very good lineup and may be an advantage to us having played less games, especially since the first few months have most of our away games.

I think the only problem would be signing Edler.

Also if there's a deal in place for Luongo, which I think is pretty likely at this point since GIllis and Burke have met a few times recently, it won't matter anyway.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Luongo

Schneider

It's not a terrible lineup, in fact it's a very good lineup and may be an advantage to us having played less games, especially since the first few months have most of our away games.

I think the only problem would be signing Edler.

Also if there's a deal in place for Luongo, which I think is pretty likely at this point since GIllis and Burke have met a few times recently, it won't matter anyway.

Forgot Kassian.... my guess is that he will start the year on the 2nd line. If he doesn't play well there it will be between Higgy and MayRay for that spot. I think Raymond should get a crack to see if he can rebound.

As for the OP, we should NOT keep both goalies. It can only be bad for us... goalie controversies, bad media attention, both goalies (whichever one isn't playing) will lose confidence. We should just move lui for quality prospects and/or high picks as a cap dump and then move on from there.

I'm sure there will have a season this year, hope for an 82 games season. The best for our team would be to keep Luongo and Schneider, when the lockout will be over, there will have a lot of games played in few days and a lot of 2 games in 2 days.

We have the best goaltender duo in the league and it's an advantage we have. Number one goalie usually play about 60 games, by now we can still having an 82 games season, even if they don't play a game until November, every games could be move somewhere else in the schedule. So in a shorter schedule, playing the same number of games would be too much. I always tough we should keep both even if it was a regular season, Schneider showed a lot of skills I'm not sure yet if he can play 60 games per season and give us the same result, so of course I don't want him to play too much games in a shorter season.

I think in a shorter season Luongo and Schneider should split almost 50 - 50 the starts. Trading Luongo or Schneider shouldn't be an option, any of them can't play every 2 days and do great in the playoffs, In a normal season I'll be fine trying Lack, but nothing would be normal for this season. Only on player is on the ice for 60 minutes and it's the man behind the mask, so by keeping them we'll be sure we have a top shape goalie every night beeing able to win every games even in the playoff.

Would it be great to have two goalies who played on a #1 rythm, making us a more competetive team, and no matter who would be our starting goaltender for the playoffs he would have played less games than any other 15 goalies in the playoff?

Forgot Kassian.... my guess is that he will start the year on the 2nd line. If he doesn't play well there it will be between Higgy and MayRay for that spot. I think Raymond should get a crack to see if he can rebound.

As for the OP, we should NOT keep both goalies. It can only be bad for us... goalie controversies, bad media attention, both goalies (whichever one isn't playing) will lose confidence. We should just move lui for quality prospects and/or high picks as a cap dump and then move on from there.

No Chance we'll play a crammed 82 game schedule. The rinks in question are already booked well in advance with: Concerts, NBA games, trade shows etc.....

I'm all for keeping both goalies till the right deal comes along. With the Cap space available Gillis will make it work thus not losing value in one of our biggest assets. He's firmly got his hands on the steering wheel.

Nothing has changed. You take the guy with youth on his side. You take the guy with the lower cap hit. You take the guy who is playing better throughout the 82 game grind. You take the guy who steps it up in the playoffs instead of collapsing in on himself. You take the guy who doesn't have a habit of putting his foot in his mouth in front of the cameras and the opposition. You take the guy with the better sv%, the better GAA, the higher percentage of wins per game played. You take the guy who the team will play for.

Fortunately for us, it all points to the same guy. Keeping both only makes sense if you plug your ears and hum loudly any time the salary cap is mentioned.

There's no way the NHL can have an 82 game schedule at this point. Even if the negotiations are successful and they are playing by Jan 1st as The Great One has optimistically stated, they are already just days from the mid-point to the season. The only possibility at that point is to shorten the season to probably around 60 games, still a vast amount to play between January and April.

Your point still stands though it does make sense to have a really solid goaltending tandem because of how often the teams will inevitably have to play, but at the same time I believe we could use a Luongo trade to also deepen the rest of our roster - especially top 6 scoring - while also bringing back a goalie capable of frequent starts, Jose Theodore?

just my 2 cents.

If it wasn't already too late, I would say let's just trade Schneider, it's not like he's gonna stay a Canuck his whole career like Luongo was willing to do. I mean honestly, I see him giving it a good run, getting tired of these fans and moving onto a diff team. *knocks on wood* :rolleyes:

Archived