The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PETA vs Pokemon

Common sense

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have decided to capitalize on the release of Pokémon Black and White 2 (it was released this Sunday) with the release of a game that depicts the abuse Pokémon might go through in their own special web game called Pokémon Black and Blue. Their catchphrase for the game is "gotta free 'em all."

Pokémon Black and Blue gives kids "a chance to help Pikachu and his Pokémon pals fight their cruel oppressors and gain their freedom," according to PETA. PETA wants kids to know that Pokémon and other "nonhuman species" are not ours to "eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment."

"Games such as Pokémon send kids the wrong message that exploiting and abusing those who are defenseless is acceptable when it's not," says PETA Director of Marketing Innovations Joel Bartlett. "But with Pokémon Black and Blue, children can experience the great feeling that comes from saving others from harm."

If you want to see the game in action, visit this page.

While the effort might be coming from a good place, PETA should probably focus its future protests on animals and species that actually exist.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/10/08/peta-launches-pok%C3%A9mon-black-and-blue#.UHM9V01Y1wl

PETA just lost the support of generation Y. What's next...the liberation of Fred Flinstone's creatures?

PETA is totally right here. My brother, all my friends that played Pokemon and even myself grew up to be animal abusers.

:picard:

What a joke. What the hell is the thought process on this? Hmm, virtual monsters battling in a game sets a bad example therefore we need to take a stand against it! I can't even comprehend how people come up with this crap because it's so stupid. If children are this easily influenced by a simple video game then they should also be kept away from the television and all forms of video games with a remote chance of violence for fear it will turn them into serial killers.

PETA is totally right here. My brother, all my friends that played Pokemon and even myself grew up to be animal abusers.

:picard:

What a joke. What the hell is the thought process on this? Hmm, virtual monsters battling in a game sets a bad example therefore we need to take a stand against it! I can't even comprehend how people come up with this crap because it's so stupid. If children are this easily influenced by a simple video game then they should also be kept away from the television and all forms of video games with a remote chance of violence for fear it will turn them into serial killers.

While I agree PETA is being stupid and overreacting as usual, as a kid watching Pokemon, I always found it a bit...weird (cant thnk if a better word) how they captured random Pokemon and then made them fight.

Anyways, does Pokemon even exist anymore?

Archived