The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting A Business.

Armada

I have friends who own their own company. So here's a short story...

Friend #1) It was his father's store. It was good money but small. He took over. Works 6 days a week at 10hrs a day for the past 20yrs. He's since expanded to other cities and is pretty well off. But he's married to his job. No wife. No kids. No pets.

Friend #2) Worked for a company for a few yrs. Became sort of like a right hand man. Convinced his boss to sell the company to him. Took on a HUGE debt load. He's smart and driven and grew the business. Almost went bankrupt with his expansion. But he's rich now and diversifies his money (property, stocks, etc). Has a wife and kids.

Friend #3) Started a cafe with his buddies. Didn't have a business plan nor exit plan. Now after 3 yrs of making no money...he wants out. But his buddies don't want to give up just yet. Just got married and has a baby. Got a full-time job elsewhere now and works part-time at the cafe.

UVic has got a strong entrepreneurship program. I have some friends who were in it and they said it was really good, some of them started businesses straight out of university that are going quite well. If that's something that interests you it's worth looking into.

I'm dubious about the benefits of a 4 year program focused on entrepeneurship. It seems like if you have a good idea, you need to start it and figure it out as you go. Although a ski/snowboard shop isn't going anywhere, so taking a few years learning how to create a sustainable business may not be a terrible idea.

My brother started a business, and while he's doing REALLY well, it has taken a toll on him. When you own a business, it's no longer a job, it's no longer 9-5 or something you can leave at the office. For a business to succeed, it needs to be part of you, and consume you. My brothers business is a part of him, there is never a minute off. And while he's wildly successful and rich, it has definitely taken a toll on his life. He does however love the company and loves his life.

http://www.bdc.ca/en/Pages/home.aspx#.UHYpYURreOg

Business Development Bank of Canada. A federal government corporation, good for developing capital. Not sure if it has the resource material it used to have. But do your homework. Make sure you've got a good base to work with and a product or service that has demand. As Goalie13 said be prepared to lose money year one, break even year two and in year three then you might finally get a profit. My brother started small but had a good and at that time untapped area to start his business in. He's well off now, and even with some reversals in his business he's still going strong.

Do not open a restaurant. 90 % die within a year of the 10% left 90 % of them are gone by the end of year 2.

For quite awhile you will make very little money so it is critical to keep your costs down.Even an extra trip to and from the post office can make a difference.

$5 here and $ 2 there can add up and before you know it you're looking at real expenses.

Archived