The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good Horror Novels to read

With Halloween right around the corner, I have been searching for a good horror novel to read. I have done some research online and found the top book on some blogs labelling, "House of leaves", as the must read for Horror novel lovers. I purchased this book and it looks like it will take a couple of months to read at least, but it is starting out pretty damn good so far.

I'm a fan of pretty much all horror novels except those new books such as Pride, Prejudice & Zombies or Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer or whatever it is called.

As long as its a good read, lay it on me, what are some suggestions?

The closest thing I've read to what might be classified as a horror novel would be Bram Stokers Dracula (not the scariest book, but it is a classic).

I seem to read a lot of non-fiction/biographies of obscure people throughout history.

Can't go wrong with some trashy Stephen King! My fave of his (that actually creeped me out) was Cell. Must have read it 5 times. I also like Pet Semetary (yes, I put an "s" on purpose).

Dean Koontz has an Odd Thomas series that are not overly scary, but a good story line.

My husband LOVED House of Leaves. So, keep going with that one.

The Game of Thrones isn't horror, but can get pretty intense (supernaturally). Although there are literally thousands of pages to read. :P

With Halloween right around the corner, I have been searching for a good horror novel to read.  I have done some research online and found the top book on some blogs labelling, "House of leaves", as the must read for Horror novel lovers.  I purchased this book and it looks like it will take a couple of months to read at least, but it is starting out pretty damn good so far.

I'm a fan of pretty much all horror novels except those new books such as Pride, Prejudice & Zombies or Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer or whatever it is called.

As long as its a good read, lay it on me, what are some suggestions?

Agree with Kryten, re: HP Lovecraft. I'd also recommend anything by Michael Slade which is the pseudonym for a father-daughter team of writers named Jay and Rebecca Clarke, who happen to be lawyers based in the lower mainland.

Most of the Slade novels are based in and around Vancouver, so readers will recognize a lot of the settings. For instance, the latest novel "Red Snow" takes place mainly in Whistler...

Can't go wrong with some trashy Stephen King! My fave of his (that actually creeped me out) was Cell. Must have read it 5 times. I also like Pet Semetary (yes, I put an "s" on purpose).

Dean Koontz has an Odd Thomas series that are not overly scary, but a good story line.

My husband LOVED House of Leaves. So, keep going with that one.

The Game of Thrones isn't horror, but can get pretty intense (supernaturally). Although there are literally thousands of pages to read. :P

not so much a horror novel as an funny book about the apocolypse: Good Omens

I don't really read scary books (or watch scary movies) because I'm a wuss, but the Club Dumas is probably the last book I read that gave me the creeps...and it's not even meant to be a scary book..just a mystery, lol.

King's Cell was great for the first third, and then it really fell off for me.

The Shining is fantastic as it is incredibly well written, and is worth reading in order to compare it with the movie in order to see what they did and didn't include in the movie.

I'd also recommend Salem's Lot, I honestly don't think i've ever read the last third of a book more feverishly than I did with that one, it takes a bit to get going but it is well worth it!

The best horror reads I know of are from H.P. Lovecraft. My personal favourite is The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath, a short story (although a fairly long one) in a compilation of short stories titled: Dreams of Terror and Death - The Dreamcycle of H.P. Lovecraft. I suggest however that you find the newest compilation that was released (the largest compilation ever and as such is more expensive) titled: Necronomicon - The Best Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft. The novel combines the above story and some of his more popular tales such as The Call of Cthulu, The Dunwich Horror, Dagon and many others worth reading. If you haven't read any of his stories, I highly suggest you do as IMO he is one of the most eloquent and visual horror writers ever.

"The guy slowly stabbed her with a knife"

"There were sounds of footsteps upstairs"

Not exactly scary.. I don't know, maybe it's just me but i usually only get scared from seeing/hearing things.. I mean, reading words counts as seeing but you know what i mean..

Archived