The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good Horror Novels to read

I have pretty much all of Dean Koontz's books... they pretty much are all horror/some other genre. Haven't read one which I haven't liked yet. Picked up his latest one 77 Shadow Street and it's probably the scariest, although the type of writing is shifting from literally 12 peoples viewpoints so you have to pay attention to what you're reading to piece the storyline together. Dunno if you'd be into that.

To the OP:

What kind of horror novels do you like - more supernatural scary or more psychologically scary?

And one more suggestion (not really horror, but a damn fine read) is Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.

Also, Frankenstein is beautifully written (although I like it more for the blatant statements about society).

Yes .. all the Thomas Harris' books are terrific .. Hannibal is such a loveable guy .. another author who is vastly under-rated is Robert McCammon ,, start with his book "Ushers Passing", a delectable tale that takes the Fall of The House of Usher into the 20th century .. a fantastic read .. add Dan Simmons book "Carrion Comfort" to the must read list as well .. a deliciously scary book ..

I have read pretty much all the Stephen King's. They are all good. Besides the Talisman and Black House, The Dark Half, Salem's Lot, Gerald's Game, Dreamcather, IT, and the Tommyknocker's lend themselves to Halloween scariness. One of this first, if not his first Cycle of the Werewolf is obviously good to go as well. Koontz is good too although I haven't read as much of his stuff.

I will recommend a book I just started that has great reviews and is one of the books of the year. The Guardians by Canadian Andrew Pyper, and there is a hockey team in it. So far so good. Hard to put down. Pychologically scarry. 386 page jaunt.

http://arts.national...y-andrew-pyper/ [national post review]

"Andrew Pyper's The Guardians is everything you could ask for in a thriller. It's psychologically unnerving, moves like a bullet and is fraught with so much tension you might crack a tooth reading it. Outstanding in every way." - Dennis Lehane

"A beautifully crafted haunted-house thriller. The horror Pyper evokes has less in common with Stephen King and things that go bump in the night than the fevered imaginiation of Joseph Conrad ferrying himself and the reader into a heart of darkness. . . . Compellingly readable and stylistically impressive." - Calgary Herald

"It's set in Canada and definitely has a personal feel to it as a result. Pretty good so far, in fact so good I will spend part of my Friday night reading it." - ME

Archived