#31 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

To the OP:
What kind of horror novels do you like - more supernatural scary or more psychologically scary?

And one more suggestion (not really horror, but a damn fine read) is Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.
Also, Frankenstein is beautifully written (although I like it more for the blatant statements about society).
Posted Image

#32 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Yes .. all the Thomas Harris' books are terrific .. Hannibal is such a loveable guy .. another author who is vastly under-rated is Robert McCammon ,, start with his book "Ushers Passing", a delectable tale that takes the Fall of The House of Usher into the 20th century .. a fantastic read .. add Dan Simmons book "Carrion Comfort" to the must read list as well .. a deliciously scary book ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 12 October 2012 - 01:37 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#33 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,767 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I have read pretty much all the Stephen King's. They are all good. Besides the Talisman and Black House, The Dark Half, Salem's Lot, Gerald's Game, Dreamcather, IT, and the Tommyknocker's lend themselves to Halloween scariness. One of this first, if not his first Cycle of the Werewolf is obviously good to go as well. Koontz is good too although I haven't read as much of his stuff.

I will recommend a book I just started that has great reviews and is one of the books of the year. The Guardians by Canadian Andrew Pyper, and there is a hockey team in it. So far so good. Hard to put down. Pychologically scarry. 386 page jaunt.

http://arts.national...y-andrew-pyper/ [national post review]

"Andrew Pyper's The Guardians is everything you could ask for in a thriller. It's psychologically unnerving, moves like a bullet and is fraught with so much tension you might crack a tooth reading it. Outstanding in every way." - Dennis Lehane

"A beautifully crafted haunted-house thriller. The horror Pyper evokes has less in common with Stephen King and things that go bump in the night than the fevered imaginiation of Joseph Conrad ferrying himself and the reader into a heart of darkness. . . . Compellingly readable and stylistically impressive." - Calgary Herald

"It's set in Canada and definitely has a personal feel to it as a result. Pretty good so far, in fact so good I will spend part of my Friday night reading it." - ME

Edited by Dogbyte, 12 October 2012 - 03:05 PM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#34 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,696 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

Lovecraft - yes.

But this one is a classic:

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.co...z/dp/0425195481

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#35 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

I have read cell 3 times, great book IMO. First half is an intense Zombie novel, second is a lot more psychological.
Larchide is spelled wrong on purpose....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.