The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Fog?

-Vintage Canuck-

my city is very famous to be the place with the biggest SOB weather in South America, it goes from 0 Celsius at 01:00AM to 35 Celsius at 12:00PM, them to 17C at 4PM and back to 0C at 10PM with fog less tham 10 Meters of visibility.

I´m not kidding! search for "Curitiba" on Google and you will see that we simply cant say "ok. today is hot" or "today will rain"...

NOOOOOOOO. People here say "HMMMM. today it might be hot, but we´re not sure" or "HMMM. today if foggy and cold, but just to be safe, lets bring a T-shirt and an extra coat because the weather is getting worse in Argentina"

just to explain. we have 2 airports, one international and one for general aviation far 7KM from each other. it´s very normal while the international airport is foggy and flight delays/cancelations the general aviation airport has "Sky clear" with single engine airplanes landing and taking-off...

The craziest fog I've ever seen is sea smoke. Basically it is formed when very cold air moves over warmer water. The end result is literally that the body of water starts to "smoke". Eventually it becomes so thick that you are totally socked in, but to start it is a really eerie effect.

15xu4y9.jpg

hrzki8.jpg

Also, not sea smoke... but an interesting fog picture nonetheless. The cut through the fog ahead of the ship is from another boat that passed about 10 minutes before the picture was taken.

9qa1cl.jpg

• 9 months later...

Fog causes delays/cancellations at YVR:

RICHMOND (NEWS113) – If you have a flight booked for today, make sure you check the its status before you leave for the airport.

The fog has caused several delays and cancellations at YVR.

The travel advisory is in effect for all airports across BC.

http://www.news1130.com/2013/10/22/fog-causes-lots-of-delayscancellations-at-yvr/?cid=dlvr.it

I was driving over the Ironworkers the other night, on my way home from a hockey game, and the entire view of downtown as well as West Van was completely obscured by the fog. Even just to see the car in front of me was a challenge. But some amazing pics people have been posting during this crazy fog:

BXM5hvBCIAAEbE-.jpg

Burrard-Inlet-Cranes-900x595.jpg

If you REALLY want to see fog, come to the Okanagan between mid Oct and Mid Feb Literally once you get above 800 feet you're in sunlight, anything below that is pea soup it's like a band of fog 200 feet thick that kills any and all flights and slows mountain travel to a crawl

I was driving over the Ironworkers the other night, on my way home from a hockey game, and the entire view of downtown as well as West Van was completely obscured by the fog. Even just to see the car in front of me was a challenge. But some amazing pics people have been posting during this crazy fog:

BXM5hvBCIAAEbE-.jpg

Burrard-Inlet-Cranes-900x595.jpg

That first photo is fairly old, incredible detail done during the editing on it. have ALWAYS loved it.

^Where's that pic taken from? Looks like a mountain but just curious.

...Also, been driving here in the lower mainland in mornings and night and it's crazy...can't see 10 feet ahead of you and the fog lights and highbeams don't do much either...right now it's fine, suns out and everything but 7 onwards, it gets loaded :lol:

...Also, been driving here in the lower mainland in mornings and night and it's crazy...can't see 10 feet ahead of you and the fog lights and highbeams don't do much either...right now it's fine, suns out and everything but 7 onwards, it gets loaded :lol:

High beams worsen the problem FWIW.

That's North of Kelowna towards Joe Rich/Mission end of the lake just north of the mill that mountain is where the "wealthy elite" live like Iginla Weber Linden Heatly and others in the summer.

Seriously incredible here. I start at valley bottom and drive uphill on the old carmi road for 9k or so and come out into pure sunlight it's gorgeous. Incredible for photography but it's causing so many issues with my lenses due to humidity

During that fog I had to go pick up my parents from the airport in Bellingham. Their flight was to land at 11:55 pm. It was a bitch just driving there, Basically get behind the guy in front of me on the highway and hug his tailights until the exit, which I almost missed. Find out when I get to the airport that every fight in has been cancelled and rerouted to Seattle. So I call and my Dad says they are staying in Seattle that night and can I pick them up at YVR at 11 in the morning. He had known since before I left the house! Damnit. SO I get to go all the way back home, get to bed around 3 AM take the next day off work and pick them up. Thanks Fog.

Archived