The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks assign Archibald to ECHL

Squeak

I was a skeptic about drafting Mallet > mature draft thing... But this appears positive for his prospects and he must be putting in the same effort that allowed him to improve so much after being passed on in earlier draft years that warranted a 2knd round pick...?

:towel:

Archibald was an undrafted signee I believe (someone can appreciatively confirm?)? DeNiro noted a thought the issue might be work ethic (?). You would think he would be even more motivated and put in the grunt...

<_<

If you follow him on twitter you'd see he is a gym rat, he's in great shape, so any work ethic issues must be on-ice. Although he scored a goal and played well, or so I've heard. I think that he was sent down so he can get more playing time and not be riding the pine like I think Friesen and Mallet will be (for a good part of the season at least).

Disagree. It wasn't on ice work ethic at all.

It was his skating, mobility and adapting to the speed of the game. He simply got left behind, literally.

Last season, he wouldn't be in the puck battles because he couldn't get there fast enough before the puck was moved. The effort, you can see is there. He would attempt to throw the body around quite a few times, but would get there a fraction of a second late and hit the boards instead. He wasn't making smart decisions quick enough and simply wasn't contributing enough to the top 6 or bottom 6. That is why he was sent down, not because he is lazy on the ice.

This season, who knows. The preseason wasn't on radio, wasn't on TV, only people who showed up got to watch. If anyone has seen him in those 2 games, i'd like to hear it.

Disagree. It wasn't on ice work ethic at all.

It was his skating, mobility and adapting to the speed of the game. He simply got left behind, literally.

Last season, he wouldn't be in the puck battles because he couldn't get there fast enough before the puck was moved. The effort, you can see is there. He would attempt to throw the body around quite a few times, but would get there a fraction of a second late and hit the boards instead. He wasn't making smart decisions quick enough and simply wasn't contributing enough to the top 6 or bottom 6. That is why he was sent down, not because he is lazy on the ice.

This season, who knows. The preseason wasn't on radio, wasn't on TV, only people who showed up got to watch. If anyone has seen him in those 2 games, i'd like to hear it.

Well I've watched him play in the OHL many times, and his skating was fine. He was able to keep up with alot of the faster players.

So it either comes down to fitness, which some have claimed is not a problem. Or it comes down to work ethic. If he had the work ethic, he would have stayed on the team. Because you don't send a guy of his size and skill down if he's working hard and looking like he'll improve.

Hopefully he'll be able to adjust to the faster pace and come back a better player.

If you follow him on twitter you'd see he is a gym rat, he's in great shape, so any work ethic issues must be on-ice. Although he scored a goal and played well, or so I've heard. I think that he was sent down so he can get more playing time and not be riding the pine like I think Friesen and Mallet will be (for a good part of the season at least).

Archibald had 1 goal and was a +3 in the kwings opener win 4-1 vs Fort Wayne. Polasek had an assist, Prab Rai had the first goal of the game and Cannata didn't start for some reason..

It's weird seeing many of our prospects in the ECHL. I'm guessing that all AHL teams had huge training camp rosters this year, so both leagues are going to be very competitive. For example, Eberle in AHL, Dubinsky in ECHL. What a nightmare for other teams!

Archived