Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Getting an iPhone 5: Which Plan and Carrier?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

So I will be getting an iPhone 5 pretty soon, but before I get it, I just wanted to get an opinion from you guys. Which carrier is the best in terms of how good their plans are and which is the best price? The rest of my family is with telus, and a minimum plan is $50/month for the iPhone5. Is 50 pretty much the minimum for all carriers? I see on Fido's website that they have a $40/month, but I'm not sure if that's only for select phones. Rogers too has a plan of $45 and $48/ month. I'm not too interested in a lot of data.. even a 100mb would do, as I have wi-fi pretty much everywhere ( work, school, home), except while traveling.

Anyone here have an iPhone 5? What is your plan like?

Throw in any suggestions you guys might have.

Thanks!
Posted Image

#2 Tig'ol Bitties

Tig'ol Bitties

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

POPULAR

Best option - Buy a Samsung.

3Goktj2.jpg

#3 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

POPULAR

Big shock that the first post is some moron turning this into a droid/iphone war. Go with Rogers.

#4 22Sedinery33

22Sedinery33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I would go with Fido.
Posted Image

#5 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

telus

ifcoyb.jpg

Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck___________small.pngGM - STHS

NHL: Vancouver&Toronto / MLB: Toronto / NBA: Dallas / NFL: Philadelphia

#6 Sindarin

Sindarin

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

I agree with this 100%. Do not buy a IPhone... They are fundamentally broken, locked down, tied up... And WOW! They just moved the headphone jack to the bottom and are reselling it as the IPHONE5!!! *mindblown*If you do have to get that piece of white garbage, go with Virgin...No contract, no stupid fees (911, Administration, Other Fees) *Telus, I am looking at you!*With Virgin Mobile, what you see for the price, is exactly what you pay (plus tax)

Edited by Sindarin, 10 October 2012 - 02:09 PM.

Sig too big.

That is not the only thing that is too big!!

#7 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Buy a Samsung if you want to carry around a tablet sized asperger announcement in your back pocket

but for an iphone, I have telus, and I think I pay about 55, or something. I have no complaints.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#8 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

I have a iphone with a major career. Stupid move. I'm locked in for 3 years at approx $85.00 + tax per month. Most months my bill is more than $100.00 that because I go over the 500mb included in my plan.

I love my iphone but not the plan it came with. Waste of money really.

If you get an iphone go with one of those pay as you go plans. You can go to future shop and get a plan for $45 unlimited talk and data. Can't beat that. And you are not locked in at all. It's month to month.

#9 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

correct.

but for any phone,

* go with Bell if you want range

*otherwise wind mobile has some pretty cheap contracts. (but very very low range)
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#10 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Buy a Samsung if you want to carry around a tablet sized asperger announcement in your back pocket

but for an iphone, I have telus, and I think I pay about 55, or something. I have no complaints.

The company that makes the "tablet sized asperger announcement" also makes parts for your beloved Stevie Job's invention as wellThe "teardown" graphic below, based on data from iSuppli, a market-research firm, shows who makes what inside the iPhone, and how much the various bits cost. Samsung turns out to be a particularly important supplier. It provides some of the phone's most important components: the flash memory that holds the phone's apps, music and operating software; the working memory, or DRAM; and the applications processor that makes the whole thing work. Together these account for 26% of the component cost of an iPhone.  http://www.economist...ic-relationship

Edited by Gustavo Fring, 10 October 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

I have an iPhone, but it's the 4s.

I am with Fido and they actually have pretty good plans, my plans not too bad.

I pay around $45 for unlimited texting, Unlimited talk on weekends and starting at 5, and 500 MB Data. Also the feature of Fido Dollars is pretty good. Great range also.

Could people stop coming into a iPhone thread talking about Samsung. Make your own Samsung thread if you don't have one, otherwise keep it in there.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

I agree with this 100%. Do not buy a IPhone... They are fundamentally broken, locked down, tied up... And WOW! They just moved the headphone jack to the bottom and are reselling it as the IPHONE5!!! *mindblown*If you do have to get that piece of white garbage, go with Virgin...No contract, no stupid fees (911, Administration, Other Fees) *Telus, I am looking at you!*With Virgin Mobile, what you see for the price, is exactly what you pay (plus tax)

The company that makes the "tablet sized asperger announcement" also makes parts for your beloved Stevie Job's invention as wellThe "teardown" graphic below, based on data from iSuppli, a market-research firm, shows who makes what inside the iPhone, and how much the various bits cost. Samsung turns out to be a particularly important supplier. It provides some of the phone's most important components: the flash memory that holds the phone's apps, music and operating software; the working memory, or DRAM; and the applications processor that makes the whole thing work. Together these account for 26% of the component cost of an iPhone. http://www.economist...ic-relationship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

Edited by Dellins, 10 October 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#13 Burrows_Breath

Burrows_Breath

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

I have fido.

$30 for 6GB Data
$30 Unlimited Text & Calling
$7 for Caller ID
So $67 + tax per month not bad.

#14 nuck7635

nuck7635

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

way to repeat exactly one of the 'attack' points those dumb commercials made

first of all, no one at apple made a big deal of the headphone jack being on the bottom
second of all, that commercial shows two people 'bumping' their phones (been around since iPhone 3G) to share a playlist.

WHO THE HELL WANTS TO SHARE PLAYLISTS? I don't know anybody that's ever wanted to do that.
Buy Samsung if you want to carry a hunk of plastic around.

As for the internals of the iPhone being Samsung, everybody knows that. The fiasco between Apple and Samsung isn't over internal parts, it's about Samsung plagiarizing Apple's designs.

ANYWAYS, I'm on Fido. Not bad but I bought mine unlocked as I only have 1 year left on my contract.

My plan is this:

200 anytime minutes
Unlimited eve/weekends starting at 5PM
2500 SMS
2GB Data
Visual voicemail
Caller ID

Comes in around $60 or so before taxes.

The minimum I believe is the $50 voice+data plan. Try and ask the carriers if you can have the 6GB data plan promo because you burn through data no problem with LTE (because you'll use it more since it's faster).

I don't even use WiFi when I'm at home anymore really.. I just stay on LTE.

#15 Lups

Lups

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,503 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

I have fido.

$30 for 6GB Data
$7 for Caller ID

I have this plan with Telus, and I have unlimited LD calling to any 10 numbers

65/mo + tax

ifcoyb.jpg

Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck___________small.pngGM - STHS

NHL: Vancouver&Toronto / MLB: Toronto / NBA: Dallas / NFL: Philadelphia

#16 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

To all the people suggesting Samsung, it's a great phone, yes, but most of my friends have iPhone, so I want iMessage. Plus, I'm really not a big fan of how big that thing is. The iPhone IMO is the optimal size.

But anyway, can I go with Rogers and get the $48/month plan? It really fits my needs as I don't really want that much data, plus it has unlimited social networking.
Posted Image

#17 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,037 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Wait for a special deal that is tailored personally to you, as far as the big 3 are concerned they're practically the same anyways in prices and coverage otherwise. I can't tell you what deal is best for you, since we all have different things we want, just be patient and find one.. between now and Christmas is when the deals will be popping up in mass.

I will point out that if people invested more effort into their plans they'd get what they want. I convinced Bell to pull my Samsung Note from a phone+data+callerid/waiting/forwarding/voicemail+text plan to a data only tablet plan so I could use GV to make infinite calls over data throughout North America at $20/month rather than $70+.

Edited by zaibatsu, 10 October 2012 - 04:27 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#18 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,703 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

$70+/month after taxes is bad and you should feel bad.

I have a BB Torch that does e'rything and more and I pay ~$50/month with Bell
Just because it says a price in print, doesn't mean that is the price you are stuck with.

#19 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Did you say your getting one soon? If can wait, maybe wait for one of the couiers to come out with a huge promotion. For example, Bell has promotion for the S3, but apple has no authorized any major promotions for the ip5 yet. So I guess you can wait for it. A lot of people are waiting for a huge promotion that can get you a ip5.

But a lot of people really can't wait for the ip5. T

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#20 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I have fido.

$30 for 6GB Data
$7 for Caller ID

I have all of this, including My5, and my bill comes to $55.00 including tax with Rogers...

I don't have an Iphone tho, and proud of it.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#21 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

http://9to5mac.com/2...still-operates/

LOL. lucky guy.

going to buy my buddies iphone4 for a 100 bucks. wooooooo

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#22 Hodgson!!

Hodgson!!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Agreed. 80 percent of the people who buy an iPhone have no idea what they are getting.
Posted Image

Signature Made by Vintage Canuck

#23 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,766 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I don't have an iPhone, so I don't know... but is 100mb (as OP mentioned) enough? 100mb is enough for BlackBerry because of the data compression, but what about other phones?

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#24 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have all of this, including My5, and my bill comes to $55.00 including tax with Rogers...

I don't have an Iphone tho, and proud of it.

then i'm guessing samsung?
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#25 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

then i'm guessing samsung?

Nope. Motorola Atrix...

Too frugal to get the new toys... :P

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#26 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Buy a Samsung then get an iPod touch.

GG

EDIT: Why is iPhone better? iMsg and Facetime? Problem solved. You can now FT/iMsg with your iPod.

Edited by Ares, 10 October 2012 - 08:28 PM.

Posted Image

#27 Lillooet_Hillbilly

Lillooet_Hillbilly

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I got a samsung rugby. I'd break those prissy touch screen, size of a brick phones.

#28 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:59 PM

I have a iphone with a major career. Stupid move. I'm locked in for 3 years at approx $85.00 + tax per month. Most months my bill is more than $100.00 that because I go over the 500mb included in my plan.

I love my iphone but not the plan it came with. Waste of money really.

If you get an iphone go with one of those pay as you go plans. You can go to future shop and get a plan for $45 unlimited talk and data. Can't beat that. And you are not locked in at all. It's month to month.

If your paying 85$ and not getting more than 500mb your service provider is owning you right now. You better be getting North American LD or something paying that price to atleast justify paying that much.

Example:

Fido offers an $80 plan giving you uniltd Canada wide calling, uniltd worldwide texting & 2gb data. You add a 6 value pack for vm + cd and it gets you to $86. This is the price a NEW customer gets, not even a retention plan.

Edited by AnOnYmOuS, 11 October 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#29 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

Agreed. 80 percent of the people who buy an iPhone have no idea what they are getting.

were the hell did you get this stat from?

Did you know about this android issue before you got your android phone?

issues over inconsistent phone problems, page reboots when flipping it to horizontal view, call drops, phone reboots, application reboots, chosing a video to watch and it loads up another video, inferior applications to its the ios,
Power cycyling (huge issue) and worst, knowing the current version sucks, and you have to wait for the manufacture to come up with an update....and living with at least dealing with 1 random glitch per day? Just overall, there are some instabality with android. A new update comes, fixes some problems, then new problems come. You can pretty much say, "oh these exists in all phones."

no it doesn't. I encountered 3 of the following issues within 10 minutes of using my friends s3. fail

Don't turn this into a ip5

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

#30 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:27 AM

If your paying 85$ and not getting more than 500mb your service provider is owning you right now. You better be getting North American LD or something paying that price to atleast justify paying that much.

Example:

Fido offers an $80 plan giving you uniltd Canada wide calling, uniltd worldwide texting & 2gb data. You add a 6 value pack for vm + cd and it gets you to $86. This is the price a NEW customer gets, not even a retention plan.

WoW, I'm with Fido, I was on Fido City plan for approx 10+ years i complained because of charges so they put me on Nation Wide Plan. I've never had a bill under $100.00. Right now( checking as I write) oops they are down for maintenance, anyways I was at approx 700mb yesterday, I'm allotted 500 mb.

My last month's bill was approx $125.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.