The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting an iPhone 5: Which Plan and Carrier?

RyanKeslord17

Question for you guys. I currently use a blackberry (I know) on Bell with about a year left on my contract. I'm interested in getting the iphone 5. Can I simply purchase the iphone 5 say from Bell or Apple, can use it for the rest of contract using my blackberry plan? Or do I have to pay out my contract and get a new one with the iphone?

You have to buy out your contract or you buy the phone for regular price. You only get phones on discount with a contract, with a year left your looking at paying cancellation fees. Contact bells customer service, let them know your getting a better offer at Rogers with a new phone, and ask what they can do to keep you as a customer.

I have a iphone with a major career. Stupid move. I'm locked in for 3 years at approx $85.00 + tax per month. Most months my bill is more than $100.00 that because I go over the 500mb included in my plan.

I love my iphone but not the plan it came with. Waste of money really.

If you get an iphone go with one of those pay as you go plans. You can go to future shop and get a plan for $45 unlimited talk and data. Can't beat that. And you are not locked in at all. It's month to month.

Yes, using fido might be better because they have cheaper prices. Ask them what your cancellation fee is and they will probably ask why your asking. Let them know fido offered you an iphone 5 with a great price at around 50-60. Mention stuff like how long you've been with bell and that you would like to stay but for the right price. Hopefully they transfer you to their retention team where they always have the offers not advertised on their website or at stores and you get yourself a good deal.

I had an iPhone 3GS and switched to the S3 just a couple weeks ago and so far I'm loving it! The battery life is amazing, no idea what that other user said about crappy battery life. Don't worry about the screen size because once I started using my S3, I got used to the size and when I look back at using an iPhone, I was wondering how in the hell I could survive with that tiny screen. For me, I would've gotten the iPhone 5 as well just because it was able to sync with my Mac and iMessage and all that stuff but at the same time, when I switched phones, the S3 was $0 at Telus so I just had to switch to the S3 to try it out.

For my plan, I've got Fave 10 (unlimited text/call to them), nationwide calling, 2000 texts, 1GB data, unlimited calling after 6pm and weekends... I'm with Telus and I pay about $65 a month. Also got a whole crapload of extra stuff that I shouldn't have all for $65 just because we know someone who works with Telus. Honestly, I should be paying at least $85 a month with the type of contract I have.

So its up to you. iPhone 5 isn't bad but so is the S3. As for plans, and serviceability, go with the Big 3. WIND and Fido have TERRIBLE call receptions.

Archived