Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Getting an iPhone 5: Which Plan and Carrier?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

I have fido.

$30 for 6GB Data
$30 Unlimited Text & Calling
$7 for Caller ID
So $67 + tax per month not bad.

This is a good plan, I need this. Will call Fido tomorrow

#32 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

To all the people suggesting Samsung, it's a great phone, yes, but most of my friends have iPhone, so I want iMessage. Plus, I'm really not a big fan of how big that thing is. The iPhone IMO is the optimal size.

But anyway, can I go with Rogers and get the $48/month plan? It really fits my needs as I don't really want that much data, plus it has unlimited social networking.

Don't quote me on this but I think those social networking plans are for blackberry, or atleast used to be.

I pay $76 after taxes with my plan with Telus and I dont have an amazing one but if I ever move away the long distance minutes come in handy.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#33 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Do yourself a favour and buy the phone outright and don't get tied down to a contract. Depending on what you want, Wind has some cheap-ass plans, as does Fido.

Range and reception and such won't be as good as the bigger carriers, but you get what you pay for, I guess.

Honestly, if I were you, and an iPhone is your only choice, just buy a cheap 4s from people "upgrading" to the iPhone 5.

were the hell did you get this stat from?

Did you know about this android issue before you got your android phone?

issues over inconsistent phone problems, page reboots when flipping it to horizontal view, call drops, phone reboots, application reboots, chosing a video to watch and it loads up another video, inferior applications to its the ios,
Power cycyling (huge issue) and worst, knowing the current version sucks, and you have to wait for the manufacture to come up with an update....and living with at least dealing with 1 random glitch per day? Just overall, there are some instabality with android. A new update comes, fixes some problems, then new problems come. You can pretty much say, "oh these exists in all phones."

no it doesn't. I encountered 3 of the following issues within 10 minutes of using my friends s3. fail

Don't turn this into a ip5

lol, iPhone's white knight comes charging in, as usual. And you claim to not be a fanboy. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jai604, 11 October 2012 - 09:50 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

#34 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Agreed. 80 percent of the people who buy an iPhone have no idea what they are getting.

You must have spent 8 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year for 3 to 4 years compiling this data. I wish I was you.

#35 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Question for you guys. I currently use a blackberry (I know) on Bell with about a year left on my contract. I'm interested in getting the iphone 5. Can I simply purchase the iphone 5 say from Bell or Apple, can use it for the rest of contract using my blackberry plan? Or do I have to pay out my contract and get a new one with the iphone?
Posted Image

#36 Canuck-Fever

Canuck-Fever

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

I found this website when I was trying to figure out which company to go with...I was looking at 1GB data so there are cheaper plans for less data, but for the most part the plans were pretty much identical...hope it helps!

http://www.comparece...923=1&x=27&y=18

Sig by Fenix!

#37 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Is the WIND25 plan compatible with the iPhone?
Spoiler

#38 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

As someone with an iPhone 4, I strongly suggest you research the galaxy s3 first.
It's significantly more powerful than the 5, and has a much larger battery.
Buy what you want. Just saying... TAKE A LOOK

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#39 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Question for you guys. I currently use a blackberry (I know) on Bell with about a year left on my contract. I'm interested in getting the iphone 5. Can I simply purchase the iphone 5 say from Bell or Apple, can use it for the rest of contract using my blackberry plan? Or do I have to pay out my contract and get a new one with the iphone?

Your best bet would to be go and talk to someone instore as I know some plans are BB specific a few years back (atleast when I had my plan). I know mine was a Telus CDMA phone and when I got my 4S it was on the new HSPA+ network so there was no way for it to work but mine was one of the last BB on the CDMA network so best bet is to ask.

Big thing with Wind from what I have heard is outside of major cities (ie. Vancouver) their reception waivers pretty bad, especially out towards the Fraser Valley but thats just what I have heard.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#40 MrVH

MrVH

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

"No contract, no stupid fees (911, Administration, Other Fees) *Telus, I am looking at you!"

?? Telus has not had any monthly fees, minus the provincial 911 fees, on their plans for a couple of years now. And starting on October 14th they're even taking the lead and axing the one time activation or equipment transfer fees as well (they've been waived since the beginning of Sept, but they are now being phased out completely).

Oh, and you can buy a cellphone from any company with no contract, you just don't get the same heavy discount as you would with a contract.

Don't be bamboozled by the fancy talk of Virgin's "Supertab", it ain't no different than a length of term contract with a 'Device Balance' payout option.

Edited by MrVH, 11 October 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#41 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

You have to buy out your contract or you buy the phone for regular price. You only get phones on discount with a contract, with a year left your looking at paying cancellation fees. Contact bells customer service, let them know your getting a better offer at Rogers with a new phone, and ask what they can do to keep you as a customer.

#42 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

Agreed. 80 percent of the people who buy an iPhone have no idea what they are getting.

85 percent of all stats are made up on the spot...

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#44 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

You have to buy out your contract or you buy the phone for regular price. You only get phones on discount with a contract, with a year left your looking at paying cancellation fees. Contact bells customer service, let them know your getting a better offer at Rogers with a new phone, and ask what they can do to keep you as a customer.

Thanks bro for the tips. But can I use that calling Rogers method even though I have a year left on my contract?
Posted Image

#45 AnOnYmOuS

AnOnYmOuS

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks bro for the tips. But can I use that calling Rogers method even though I have a year left on my contract?

Yes, using fido might be better because they have cheaper prices. Ask them what your cancellation fee is and they will probably ask why your asking. Let them know fido offered you an iphone 5 with a great price at around 50-60. Mention stuff like how long you've been with bell and that you would like to stay but for the right price. Hopefully they transfer you to their retention team where they always have the offers not advertised on their website or at stores and you get yourself a good deal.

#46 KamikazeWatermelon

KamikazeWatermelon

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Wind/Mobilicity both don't support the frequencies/bands (or whatever they're called) used on iPhones... So even if you brought in an unlocked one, it wouldn't work.
Posted Image
Credits to uɐpɹoɾ

#47 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

I have a iphone with a major career. Stupid move. I'm locked in for 3 years at approx $85.00 + tax per month. Most months my bill is more than $100.00 that because I go over the 500mb included in my plan.

I love my iphone but not the plan it came with. Waste of money really.

If you get an iphone go with one of those pay as you go plans. You can go to future shop and get a plan for $45 unlimited talk and data. Can't beat that. And you are not locked in at all. It's month to month.

dude.. my plan is 60 bucks. unlimited calls, unlimited texts. 6gb data... your plan is horrendous

#48 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

by the way, don't listen to naysayers saying that s3 is better yadda yadda...s3 battery is really bad cause screen is so big. plus no flash on android anymore.

#49 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Don't get the IPhone 5, I heard its just a bridge for IPhone 6 which will be the greatest technological advance our society has seen. Wait for the 6!

That is until the 7 comes out of course.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#50 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

Yes, using fido might be better because they have cheaper prices. Ask them what your cancellation fee is and they will probably ask why your asking. Let them know fido offered you an iphone 5 with a great price at around 50-60. Mention stuff like how long you've been with bell and that you would like to stay but for the right price. Hopefully they transfer you to their retention team where they always have the offers not advertised on their website or at stores and you get yourself a good deal.

This is good advice.

The first operator you talk to actually can't do much to help you. They just don't have the authority to do much on their end. What you want is to get yourself in contact with the Retentions department. Just ask the first operator right away to transfer you to retentions because you want to cancel your plan. They will. The operators who work in Retentions have the authority to give you discounts and reduce prices and change things.

By doing this, you save yourself a lot of time by skipping talking to someone who in the end can't even do anything to help you.

RIP LB RR PD

#51 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Don't get the IPhone 5, I heard its just a bridge for IPhone 6 which will be the greatest technological advance our society has seen. Wait for the 6!

That is until the 7 comes out of course.

But what about the iPhone 10 then,

:bigblush:
Posted Image

#52 Alex Edler 23

Alex Edler 23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

anyone with rogers? looking for a plan 50-60, I would like unlimited text, and prob 200 mins would be fine, just need to know the prices it'll be in total with data

Edited by Alex Edler 23, 13 October 2012 - 02:20 PM.

Sig too big.

#53 Alex Edler 23

Alex Edler 23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

dude.. my plan is 60 bucks. unlimited calls, unlimited texts. 6gb data... your plan is horrendous

who's your carrier?
Sig too big.

#54 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

But what about the iPhone 10 then,

:bigblush:

I always wondered if someone with a newer IPhone would snub someone who has a previous model. With all the perpetual bashing it would seem that way.

Edited by Mountain Man, 13 October 2012 - 09:20 PM.

virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#55 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,814 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

I always wondered if someone with a newer IPhone would snub someone who has a previous model. With all the perpetual bashing it would seem that way.

I knew some people who, when the iPhone 4S came out, complained that there were no physical differences between the 4 and 4s; they wanted others to be able to tell right away that they had the newer model. O.o

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#56 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

who's your carrier?

i'm on bell. you could also complain to your current provider that some other company offered you better deal but you wanna be a loyal customer for right price etc.

#57 Alex Edler 23

Alex Edler 23

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

i'm on bell. you could also complain to your current provider that some other company offered you better deal but you wanna be a loyal customer for right price etc.

oo, 3 years or month to month?

Edited by Alex Edler 23, 14 October 2012 - 05:42 PM.

Sig too big.

#58 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

oo, 3 years or month to month?

3 year deal

#59 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

I knew some people who, when the iPhone 4S came out, complained that there were no physical differences between the 4 and 4s; they wanted others to be able to tell right away that they had the newer model. O.o

:lol:
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#60 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

I had an iPhone 3GS and switched to the S3 just a couple weeks ago and so far I'm loving it! The battery life is amazing, no idea what that other user said about crappy battery life. Don't worry about the screen size because once I started using my S3, I got used to the size and when I look back at using an iPhone, I was wondering how in the hell I could survive with that tiny screen. For me, I would've gotten the iPhone 5 as well just because it was able to sync with my Mac and iMessage and all that stuff but at the same time, when I switched phones, the S3 was $0 at Telus so I just had to switch to the S3 to try it out.

For my plan, I've got Fave 10 (unlimited text/call to them), nationwide calling, 2000 texts, 1GB data, unlimited calling after 6pm and weekends... I'm with Telus and I pay about $65 a month. Also got a whole crapload of extra stuff that I shouldn't have all for $65 just because we know someone who works with Telus. Honestly, I should be paying at least $85 a month with the type of contract I have.

So its up to you. iPhone 5 isn't bad but so is the S3. As for plans, and serviceability, go with the Big 3. WIND and Fido have TERRIBLE call receptions.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.