The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bieber fans vandalize Rick Rypien memorial

Alchemy Time

Step 1: Apologize

Step 2: If possible offer to clean it up, or buy a photo of Rick and cover it up

Step 3: 20-100 hours time raising money for Mindcheck. This would make her understand what she did was wrong, and help with Ryp's legacy.

Personally folks I think this is blown way the hell out of proportion. She didn't write Rick sucks, Bieber rules or something. She was just too stupid to realize she picked the wrong spot to put the wrong graffiti on.

Some of your responses make me embarrassed to cheer alongside you as a fan of this team. I love RYP and the fact that his legacy will be one of hope for others, but the personal attacks and "justifying" the hate towards this girl are very immature. This is someone's child. Think about how you would feel if this were your kid and people were treating him/her like this. While the act of "desecrating" his memorial is not cool, the response many of you have given is even more uncool. I am sure RYP would much rather you focus this energy on something like homelessness, kids at Canuck Place or just a random act of kindness. Turn a negative into a positive and watch the world change for the better.

Biebers concert. Why would he NOT have some say in this? It was her proclamation of misguided adoration for him that defaced the wall. HIS concert drove her to go there. His lip synching is what got her so full of stupidity she didnt think defacing something was a bad decision. So HE is responsible as well. Not of the action, but he needs to come out and say that this type of action is NOT acceptable at his shows.She defaced a monument regardless whether it was national, or not. Someone writes on YOUR wall, and you clean it, you have the right to bill the perpetrator. This isnt even a grey area, its very black & white. Its absurd you would even argue this point.The difference between those that originally wrote there, and this bimbo is. They did it as part of a PUBLIC show of respect for a fallen hero that was encouraged by the team on their property. They have had over a year to be outraged if they wanted, instead, they used it in promotional campaigns. I am sure Rogers Arena has a FAR different outlook on this abomination....especially considering people are disgusted over this, as opposed to the feelings of respect shown to the original people that wrote on that pillar.I disagree on the weight of the backlash compared to what she still NEEDS to do. Public acceptance of this horrendously disrespectful act is required. Sitting at home moping over several of your friends calling you out over it isnt a reasonable punishment for this. Its absurd you would sit here and actually defend that as a reasonable penalty for what she did.Reena Virk? You are comparing a MURDER VICTIM to someone that defaced something? Wouldnt Kelly Ellard have been a more logical comparison (and may I say, a grossly inaccurate & unrelated one) since she was the murderer? What was your angle with this comparison?? Seriously? Was Virk publicly villified for something? Not that I ever heard of. SHE was a victim. This girl, isnt. She was the perpetrator. You need to, in the future, get someone to read your posts before you hit send. That way, you wont look so stupid next time you say something on here.Sincerely, EveryoneEDIT - I have no idea why this looks like 1 run on paragraph. I made several several smaller paragraphs in the original post. Quite annoying.

It's really not that bad, I was expecting something negative towards Ryp when i read the title. It doesn't even cover up other peoples messages. Just a shout out to Biebs carelessly written on something near by.... stupid and innapropriate, but hardly anything to be in arms about. Ryp would be the last person to care.

RYP would be disappointed in those who are threatening and bullying this girl. Make her clean it off and then leave her alone.

I wouldn't be surprised if all this bullying leads to her being depressed. Now that would be the opposite of everything that Rypien and mindcheck stand for.

Think about it.

When you're 16, the stupid things you do are bust up a car late one night, black out somewhere, or get in a fight at a party or something. Not disrespect a dead person. This isn't "the ignorance of youth" because 16 is too old to be that ignorant. This is just a stupid girl.

Very disrespectful and idiotic. But she doesn't deserve death threats and whatnot, ease up a little.

Here's something to ponder:

As fans of Rick's, it's no secret to us that he battled with depression and (likely) other disorders that made life difficult for him. With that, a 16 year old's self esteem can PLUMMET after a barrage of threats and horrible comments directed her way....this can send someone into that dark place of depression and, if other supports aren't available or pre-existing conditions are present, send someone down that path of darkness. My daughter's very intense depression (and subsequent panic attacks/disorder) culminated at about this age and, to this day, it's a battle for her. It's a tender age when dealing with the reaction of others. Please think seriously about how harsh, hateful words can destroy a young person who may already be in a tough place or struggling to find their way.

In Rick's name/honour, we should never contribute to hateful acts that can send someone over the edge....especially at a critical age (16), where life can already be tough enough to figure out. Sure, be upset, but don't act on that or you're really no better than someone who, likely in a moment of excitement, drew a heart and her name. Keep it in perspective folks...

OK, off my high horse now. Carry on...

Archived