The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bieber fans vandalize Rick Rypien memorial

Alchemy Time

At 16 yrs old...you're old enough to know what is right and what is wrong. She should be held accountable for her actions. Hopefully her parents have a good talking to her and she at least makes an attempt to clean the graffitti.

However, she is not deserving of receiving death threats and other tweets of violence towards her. No one should be.

It's young enough to make poor decisions on a regular basis. I'm not defending her actions, but a teenager who makes a poor decision doesn't deserve to be threatened on such a massive and public platform. It all creates such a ridiculous mob mentality that could easily escalate into violence.

Like someone else mentioned.. What's going to happen when this girl goes to school tomorrow? You could easily have a real mob of equally stupid teenagers capable of doing something much worse...

Let's look at it from another angle just to play devil's advocate. Do you know enough about Rick Rypien to be able to say he would be ok with people blowing this way out of proportion and threatening her? Do you even know if Rick hadn't done some similarly stupid stuff at this girl's age? If he had, that would blow your "she should be smart enough to not write crap there" argument out of the water.

You're really grasping at straws here. I'm not the one saying what Ryp would think. I'm just the one saying that using that as an argument is unfair; considering no one here knew him. Do the people that used that as an argument know he was going to commit suicide?

Speaking of horrible arguments.

I disagree with your overall point though. Your blanket statement that we didn't know Rick Rypien is a generalization. There may be people here that have met him and possibly even knew him reasonably well. It's certainly arguable that you're presenting the point that he would have not thought that, nor done something similar at that age.

Let's put the statement in a different way: would the legacy left behind by Rypien (Mindcheck, support for depression and suicide, attention drawn to the concerns for a 4th line fighter, etc.) be supportive of attacking this 16 year old girl for writing "I <3 Beiber" graffiti on a concrete pillar that is already covered in other graffiti which wouldn't be infinitely obvious as an unofficial memorial site?

Archived