The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bieber fans vandalize Rick Rypien memorial

Alchemy Time

I actually sincerely feel some joy in knowing this useless expletive deleted her twitter account over this.

I DO NOT condone the threats against her. But calling her stupid & disrespectful & demanding she apologize for it, I saw no reason that shouldnt be acceptable......and instead of admitting she messed up, she chickens out & deletes her account.

I hope Rogers Arena sends her a bill for the cleaning, or better yet, has her come down and clean it herself.

Even more, if Justin Bieber has even ONE male chromasome (not entirely sure on this) he should PUBLICLY apologize to Rypiens fans, Rogers Arena, the city of Vancouver & frankly anyone offended, that 1 of his fans would DO that simply because they got to go hear him lip synch a few of his torture tapes that are so bad, even he cant stop from vomiting when he hears them.

I actually sincerely feel some joy in knowing this useless expletive deleted her twitter account over this.

I DO NOT condone the threats against her. But calling her stupid & disrespectful & demanding she apologize for it, I saw no reason that shouldnt be acceptable......and instead of admitting she messed up, she chickens out & deletes her account.

I hope Rogers Arena sends her a bill for the cleaning, or better yet, has her come down and clean it herself.

Even more, if Justin Bieber has even ONE male chromasome (not entirely sure on this) he should PUBLICLY apologize to Rypiens fans, Rogers Arena, the city of Vancouver & frankly anyone offended, that 1 of his fans would DO that simply because they got to go hear him lip synch a few of his torture tapes that are so bad, even he cant stop from vomiting when he hears them.

It's absolutely terrible what this girl did to a memorial of Rick Rypien. He was a great person on and off the ice, demonstrating the "heart of a Canuck". I think a lot of my own anger has already been described in other posts, however I think some of these tweets that threaten the girls physical well being are well over the top. People should consider what they post into social media and if something actually happens to whoever this "Simran Mann" girl is then it could become messy.

What the hell does Justin Bieber have to do with this? I bet he doesn't even know about it, and even if he did, it's not his place to apologize. Bill for cleaning? You are making it sound like someone defaced a national monument or something, the same could be said about the people who wrote on the pole in the first place. Both can easily be considered graffiti.

I fear that the backlash for what she did will far out way the mistake in the first place.

What she did can be easily fixed and moved on from. The physical and mental damage that other people have done and are promising to do can't be erased so easily, which oddly enough, Rick Rypien would be completely against.

Reena Virk ring a bell for anybody?

What the hell does Justin Bieber have to do with this?  I bet he doesn't even know about it, and even if he did, it's not his place to apologize. Bill for cleaning? You are making it sound like someone defaced a national monument or something, the same could be said about the people who wrote on the pole in the first place.  Both can easily be considered graffiti.

I fear that the backlash for what she did will far out way the mistake in the first place.

What she did can be easily fixed and moved on from.  The physical and mental damage that other people have done and are promising to do can't be erased so easily, which oddly enough, Rick Rypien would be completely against.

Reena Virk ring a bell for anybody?

Biebers concert. Why would he NOT have some say in this? It was her proclamation of misguided adoration for him that defaced the wall. HIS concert drove her to go there. His lip synching is what got her so full of stupidity she didnt think defacing something was a bad decision. So HE is responsible as well. Not of the action, but he needs to come out and say that this type of action is NOT acceptable at his shows.She defaced a monument regardless whether it was national, or not. Someone writes on YOUR wall, and you clean it, you have the right to bill the perpetrator. This isnt even a grey area, its very black & white. Its absurd you would even argue this point.The difference between those that originally wrote there, and this bimbo is. They did it as part of a PUBLIC show of respect for a fallen hero that was encouraged by the team on their property. They have had over a year to be outraged if they wanted, instead, they used it in promotional campaigns. I am sure Rogers Arena has a FAR different outlook on this abomination....especially considering people are disgusted over this, as opposed to the feelings of respect shown to the original people that wrote on that pillar.I disagree on the weight of the backlash compared to what she still NEEDS to do. Public acceptance of this horrendously disrespectful act is required. Sitting at home moping over several of your friends calling you out over it isnt a reasonable punishment for this. Its absurd you would sit here and actually defend that as a reasonable penalty for what she did.Reena Virk? You are comparing a MURDER VICTIM to someone that defaced something? Wouldnt Kelly Ellard have been a more logical comparison (and may I say, a grossly inaccurate & unrelated one) since she was the murderer? What was your angle with this comparison?? Seriously? Was Virk publicly villified for something? Not that I ever heard of. SHE was a victim. This girl, isnt. She was the perpetrator. You need to, in the future, get someone to read your posts before you hit send. That way, you wont look so stupid next time you say something on here.Sincerely, Everyone

so what should happen then? I've done stupid things in the past, I have taken ownership of my mistakes and did what I could to correct them, then I move on. I'm part of the massive fan base and I am not overtly pissed off, a little annoyed yes. Most 16 year olds are not overly concerned with the big picture just what is normally in front of them & this seems like it falls into that bracket, where as you have some adult doing this then yes I would be pissed off.

Disappointing.

I'm sorry to say, 16 is far old enough to understand the implications of her actions. You can't sit there and honestly say a 16-year-old is not cognizant enough to understand that tagging a memorial (makeshift or not) is acceptable. It's also too bad she decided to shut down her twitter instead of publicly apologizing and then going to clean up the mess she made.

It's also equally disappointing how overboard some people went with their reactions. Death threats and threats of physical harm? What the hell is wrong with people? It's equally immature and classless.

People need to give their heads a shake.

The amount of hatred and vitriol in this thread is alarming...please don't use this as an opportunity to harass someone you don't know.

Yes, it definitely hurts the heart so see something so intrusive and meaningless at the site but it was likely just a mindless scribble done in a moment of zealous impulse. I think it would be worse if someone actually defaced the writing of others or added something hateful directed toward the memorial, but it seems like a moment of "I'll add my two cents" by someone out of touch and immature.

To suggest doing things at her home, etc. is equally so.

RIP Rick - let's protect his memory with love instead of hate? - it is, afterall, a heart not a middle finger that was added. Just seems wrong to me to attack so vehemently as it obviously wasn't directed AT Rick, it was careless placement of someone expressing their feelings. Yes, it was very poorly done as there was no consideration to what was already there and I, too, am deeply upset by it. But some of the comments are inappropriate so let's try to lead by example vs following the same path this idiot has taken.

The amount of hatred and vitriol in this thread is alarming...please don't use this as an opportunity to harass someone you don't know.

Yes, it definitely hurts the heart so see something so intrusive and meaningless at the site but it was likely just a mindless scribble done in a moment of zealous impulse. I think it would be worse if someone actually defaced the writing of others or added something hateful directed toward the memorial, but it seems like a moment of "I'll add my two cents" by someone out of touch and immature.

To suggest doing things at her home, etc. is equally so.

RIP Rick - let's protect his memory with love instead of hate? Just seems wrong to me to attack so vehemently as it obviously wasn't directed AT Rick, it was careless placement of someone expressing their feelings. Yes, it was very poorly done as there was no consideration to what was already there and I, too, am deeply upset by it. But some of the comments are inappropriate so let's try to lead by example vs following the same path this idiot has taken.

Archived