The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Women's hockey Grow or shrink because of the NHL lockout?

Simple question.

In theory, it should grow, as people looking for a hockey fix will start trying other versions. Surely the AHL & CHL will get bumps in hockey starved fans flocking to their versions. It would be safe to assume womens hockey may enjoy that same growth. The CWHL could benefit, since they have teams in Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Minnesota & Alberta.

Or it could shrink. Jaded hockey fans, angry at the NHL punish the sport as a whole & avoid it as a whole. The bitterness of being disrespected twice in 6 yrs by the largest league makes them feel "eff it, I dont need hockey" & they stop watching the sport all together & struggling leagues like the CWHL feel it more than more longer lasting leagues like the AHL, ECHL or CHL leagues would.

So, is this the time for women's hockey to grow, or struggle?

Women's hockey is a good sport to rally around during Olympics and stuff, but all in all the quality of women's hockey is way way way below men's.

Not saying the athletes aren't talented or driven, just it's really not anymore exciting than watching some Division 3 hockey from Europe.

I would imagine most fans of the NHL don't even know the CWHL exists.

I highly doubt this will help women's hockey at all, and truthfully, women's hockey will never attain true legitimacy. It's just the way professional sports are. There are few examples of sports played professionally by women that have any sort of coverage or interest, tennis being the main exception, and golf to a lesser degree.

I generally only watch womens hockey during the olympics. I don't find it as intense and exciting as mens hockey, probably due to the lack of physical play and talent when compared.

instead of watching chl, whl etc i've found myself watching more nfl games as of late. also enjoy the khl highlights. I have no complaints so far.

What a gesture it would be for Hockey Night in Canada to continue during the lockout and play CWHL games. It is probably the one avenue that could be taken to really get people interested in women's hockey, as HNIC has become such a ritual for a lot of people.

There is really a negligible difference for the growth of a sport overall when the games aren't televised. There may be a few more people who watch national team games on TSN, but it won't be significant enough to grow the sport because of the lockout.

The junior leagues and AHL will have a little bit of an increased following because there are names there people might know. Prospects, future draft picks, and young NHL'ers playing are a bigger draw for NHL fans as they can still 'cheer' for their team by following their players. That's for fans not disillusioned by the lockout and that actually now more than 5 players on the team though.

Interesting premise, but I don't think there will be much difference to women's hockey.

I say if this lockout crap keeps rearing its ugly head, I would like to see the Stanley Cup given out to them. Hockey Canada owns it.

Would send a strong message to the boys who wont play in the sand box that the women who do undoubtedly deserve some recognition.

Archived