51 replies to this topic

#31 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Luongo, Booth, Ballard, 2nd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Okposo and Visnovsky

Edit:

If MG does this he would be run out of Vancouver. Zero rationale as to why the Canucks would do this. This is a horrible propsal and I suspect you are not a Canuck fan.

It makes great sense. We win that trade, hands down.
We unload Luongo, his meltdowns, and his 5.33M cap hit.
We unload Booth and his undeserved 4+ M cap hit.
We unload Ballard, one of the highest paid 5/6 D in the league.
We gain two serviceable players in return. What is the problem?

#32 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Van= In picking up okposo and losing booth what do we gain? (I'm one of the guys who think booth should at least get one good shot at playing a whole season in before we start talking of getting rid of the guy) Yes we'd get a chance at getting a better player but to me we should be looking at a playmaking 2nd line rw. I think when it's Luo's time to go we should try and fill that need first.
And Visnovsky? I'd prefer Ballard, I think he's got something to prove and it'll be a good year to show it.

Amazing. Do you know who Visnovsky is? Over the last two years alone, he has 24 goals and 95 points. In fact, I believe that he was even a Norris finalist in 2011. Keith Ballard has 3 goals and 15 points in 129 games as a Canuck. He's 30 years old; it ain't gonna change. He is who he is.

When Wally Buono acquired Casey Printers again, back in 2010 (I think?), and it became obvious that he wasn't a fit, he cut ties immediately. This is part of what makes Wally great; no attachment to the players, whatsoever. The great travesty of most NHL GMs is that they're too loyal to their players, and Gillis with Ballard is a good example.

As for Okposo - it could be argued that he's a better player than Booth right now. And even if he's not right now, the potential is far greater, and we have guys like Higgins/Hansen that are probably capable enough of providing offense in Booth's absence if Okposo wasn't ready. It'd be a reasonable risk to take. It's David Booth, not Alexander Ovechkin.

#33 Wolf smell

Wolf smell

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Amazing. Do you know who Visnovsky is? Over the last two years alone, he has 24 goals and 95 points. In fact, I believe that he was even a Norris finalist in 2011. Keith Ballard has 3 goals and 15 points in 129 games as a Canuck. He's 30 years old; it ain't gonna change. He is who he is.

When Wally Buono acquired Casey Printers again, back in 2010 (I think?), and it became obvious that he wasn't a fit, he cut ties immediately. This is part of what makes Wally great; no attachment to the players, whatsoever. The great travesty of most NHL GMs is that they're too loyal to their players, and Gillis with Ballard is a good example.

As for Okposo - it could be argued that he's a better player than Booth right now. And even if he's not right now, the potential is far greater, and we have guys like Higgins/Hansen that are probably capable enough of providing offense in Booth's absence if Okposo wasn't ready. It'd be a reasonable risk to take. It's David Booth, not Alexander Ovechkin.

Of course I know of Visnovsky. It would seem to me most of those points came the year before last. He's on the backside of his career and somewhat injury prone. Even tho his contract is only a year it is bigger than Ballards. He would be a third pairing guy (bar injuries to the top 4) making what 5mil+. We really don't need to get older on the backend.Clearly we have differing opinions on Ballard.

Don't get me wrong I love Higgings and Hansen, They have a great approach to how they play the game. But I think we need guys like that playing a third line role and second line call ups when needed. I think we should try a third line of Higgins/Lappy/Hansen.

So in trading Booth and acquiring Okposo what do you propose happens on the second line? Okposo/Kesler/Hansen?
I think Hansen played his way onto the third line last year hardly the second. Although I wouldn't be opposed to putting him there in a pinch, for a team that is trying to be contenders for the cup is this a wise move?
Sure we save some cap space but unless we lose the year what free agents/trading options do we have left?

Basically what your doing is a salary dump and taking a big ol what if okposo can be better than booth. To me it makes no sense, we are a contending team and should be building up our weaknesses, not dropping salary and making trades for trades sake.
How does this make the Canucks a better team?

#34 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

OK, and you see no issues with paying your backup goaltender $5.2M until 2022. Is that right?

He wouldn't be a backup though. We would either trade Cory or have them split the workload. And Lu will almost certainly retire before his contract is up.

Either way, Lu said he is fine with staying here, which is something you apparently didn't know.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#35 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

What good is extra cap space if we can't use it? There's no big FA's left.

#36 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

He wouldn't be a backup though. We would either trade Cory or have them split the workload. And Lu will almost certainly retire before his contract is up.

Either way, Lu said he is fine with staying here, which is something you apparently didn't know.

I'm sorry, are you still living in March of 2012?

#37 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

I'm sorry, are you still living in March of 2012?

What are you talking about? Do you seriously not believe me that Lu himself said he is perfectly fine playing for Vancouver? That was the most recent thing he said. Pay attention to the news and you'll be up to date.

#38 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

To FLORIDA:
-Roberto Luongo
-2013 3rd (NYI)

-To NEW YORK ISLANDERS:
-Jakob Markstrom
-David Booth
-Keith Ballard
-2013 2nd (VAN)

To VANCOUVER:
-Kyle Okposo
-Lubomir Visnovsky

What is being presented is not enough of a return for Luongo. I suspect that if/when the Luongo deal is done, there will be a number of assets exchanged, but it will be between the Canucks and one other team only.

And there is no reason for Florida to give up on Markstrom. If they do take Luongo it would be with an eye towards having him act as the number one for a few years and also mentor Markstrom, not replace him.

The Islanders take on a lot of cap hit, and a hope that Markstrom will develop, but with that team in front of him it would remain to be seen just how he would develop there.

If Luongo is as bad as you (and others) believe he is, and has such a terrible cap hit...
And you believe that Booth is overpaid at $4+ million...
And you believe that Ballard is overpaid...

And you (or the OP) believe that these things are self-evident truths, then why do you think that Tallon would want Luongo enough to give up on Markstrom to the Islanders?

What is the incentive for the Islanders to trade away a young player like Okposo if they have to take back all of this "undeserved" cap hit in Ballard and Booth, two guys who are apparently highly over-rated hockey players? They get Markstrom and they dump Visnovsky's cap hit, you say? Yeah, the one year left on Visnovsky's contract will make up for the combined six years on Ballard and Booth's deals, right?

Where is the problem?

1.) It is that you and the OP under-value the players on this team. Luongo, Ballard and Booth are worth far more than merely being a cap dump with an over the hill d-man and a promising winger thrown in on the deal.

2.) You also believe that all of the GM's involved are idiots. First, you believe that Gillis was an idiot for getting Ballard and Booth in the first place. Fine, you have a right to your opinion regardless of how wrong you are. Second, you also believe that Tallon and Snow are idiots because they will gladly hand over such valuable assets for these Canuck players which are, at least in your opinions, so obviously worthless.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#39 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

What are you talking about? Do you seriously not believe me that Lu himself said he is perfectly fine playing for Vancouver? That was the most recent thing he said. Pay attention to the news and you'll be up to date.

What do you think he's going to say?

Trade me now, Mike, or I'm going to strap some dynamite to my body and hold hostage this entire locker room!

He wants out, he's asked out, he's on his way out. You're seemingly the only person on this forum that doesn't understand this. Cory Schneider was not signed to be traded.

#40 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

And there is no reason for Florida to give up on Markstrom. If they do take Luongo it would be with an eye towards having him act as the number one for a few years and also mentor Markstrom, not replace him.

No, no, no. Whoever takes Luongo is committing to him for a decade. They're not going to have much use for Markstrom (who's close) during that time. Nobody will want to allocate $5.2M to their backup goaltender.

What is the incentive for the Islanders to trade away a young player like Okposo if they have to take back all of this "undeserved" cap hit in Ballard and Booth, two guys who are apparently highly over-rated hockey players? They get Markstrom and they dump Visnovsky's cap hit, you say? Yeah, the one year left on Visnovsky's contract will make up for the combined six years on Ballard and Booth's deals, right?

The incentive is that the Isles have Strome, Niederreiter, etc., other high-end talents that are young. Booth & Ballard will just provide a bit of stability to their teams. They're not horrible players, but they're overpaid. From NYI's perspective, that's fine. And Visnovsky has made it clear that he's not too interested in being an Islander.

1.) It is that you and the OP under-value the players on this team. Luongo, Ballard and Booth are worth far more than merely being a cap dump with an over the hill d-man and a promising winger thrown in on the deal.

2.) You also believe that all of the GM's involved are idiots. First, you believe that Gillis was an idiot for getting Ballard and Booth in the first place. Fine, you have a right to your opinion regardless of how wrong you are. Second, you also believe that Tallon and Snow are idiots because they will gladly hand over such valuable assets for these Canuck players which are, at least in your opinions, so obviously worthless.

regards,
G.

I like Luongo, he's an elite goaltender. But market forces are at play here. Like the Hawks fan said, the entire world knows that we need to get rid of him, so the offers will reflect this. If you're buying a house from someone who's desperate to sell, you'll adjust your offer accordingly - and this is no different.

Florida gets a local hero back, someone who wants be there and is good enough to anchor that team for a long time. Markstrom might not be any good in the NHL; they absolve themselves of that risk by getting Luongo.

The Islanders get two helpful (albeit overpaid) components that can help them. If nothing else, it'll show their existing young guys that they're serious about trying to build something. And Markstrom could be the goaltender that they've needed for so long.

From the Canucks' "win now" perspective, the only we're exchanging Booth & Ballard for Okposo & Visnovsky. Vis might be old, but there's no question that he's better than Ballard, so it's a win. Okposo and Booth is probably relatively even as it relates to today, with Okposo having far more upside.

#41 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,342 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

Trade me now, Mike, or I'm going to strap some dynamite to my body and hold hostage this entire locker room!

He wants out, he's asked out, he's on his way out. You're seemingly the only person on this forum that doesn't understand this. Cory Schneider was not signed to be traded.

And you're seemingly the only one on this forum that doesn't understand that Luongo is PERFECTLY FINE with staying as well.

SURREY, B.C.—Roberto Luongo was happy being a Vancouver Canuck — at least for one day.­

The veteran goaltender has been in limbo since the end of last season, when he lost the starting job in Vancouver to Cory Schneider and said he would waive his no-trade clause if the Canucks could work out a deal to send him to an approved destination.

But Luongo was at a Canucks charity golf tournament on Wednesday, and he said he would have no trouble playing alongside his friend Schneider again and will attend Vancouver’s training camp, if necessary.

“Two months ago, after what had happened, and Schneids had just signed, I didn’t really see myself being here for training camp,” Luongo said. “But I realized once we got into August, that that was a possibility, and that I was OK with that.”

He showed he was OK by participating in the Canucks’ annual event, golfing with teammates and team staff at Northview Golf Course.
“The fact that I have a lot of good friends on the team, in the staff and the coaching staff and the organization, makes it a lot easier for me to be here,” he said. “That’s why I’m here today, and I didn’t really hesitate in deciding whether I should come or not.”

Under collective bargaining rules, Luongo must be traded before Saturday’s NHL lockout deadline or wait until the labour dispute is resolved.
Luongo was displaced by Schneider as Vancouver’s starting goaltender in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs as they bowed 4-1 to the eventual champion Los Angeles Kings. The Canucks subsequently signed Schneider to a new three-year, $12-million contract.

Schneider was not present Wednesday, because he and Manny Malhotra were in New York as part of the NHL Players Association’s bargaining committee, trying to help work out a new labour agreement before the looming lockout. Even without the current labour uncertainty, it would be difficult financially to keep both goaltenders.
The 33-year-old Montreal native has indicated the Florida Panthers are his preferred destination. Luongo makes his off-season home in Florida and played for the Panthers before he was acquired in a trade by the Canucks following the last lockout in 2004-05.

But the former Vezina Trophy winner, who still has 10 years left on his 12-year, $64-million contract, said the Canucks have not asked him to submit a list of preferred teams, and he will wait until general manager Mike Gillis has a deal for him to consider. Until then, Luongo is willing to be patient given the unusual situation with the lockout pending.

“I’m going to leave that more up to (Gillis) to do his thing,” Luongo said. “I don’t really want to be talking about any other teams right now. I’m here with Vancouver. I think it’s a bit disrespectful towards (Gillis) and others to be talking about other places.”

In the meantime, Luongo said he is focusing on preparing himself for a season that may not come, regardless of where he is winds up playing.
“I’m just here to play, man,” Luongo said. “That’s all I want to do. I’m going to play and work hard like I always do ­— and the cards will fall where they may.”

Gillis said he was not surprised that Luongo accepted an invitation to participate in the golf tournament because the goaltender has always taken a team-first approach.

The GM said teams have pursued Luongo and presented “solid” trade proposals, but the Canucks have not yet received an offer to their liking.

“We’re going to do our best to make sure that Roberto is taken care of whether he is here or somewhere else,” Gillis said. “We’re going to look at his best interests, but also look at ours.”
The Canucks are expected to take on a big contract to offset the costs that the other team inherits in Luongo’s deal. Gillis said the Canucks will listen to all presented options, and a deal could involve three teams.

“It has to give us an opportunity to be different,” Gillis said. “I don’t think you replace an all-star goalie and necessarily feel you have to be better — but you have to be different.”

Gillis stopped short of saying Schneider is Vancouver’s new starting goaltender. If necessary, the GM said, Schneider and Luongo will compete for No. 1 status in camp.
Luongo indicated he does not have a problem with that scenario.

“Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me,” Luongo said.

The third and last paragraph really confirm how ignorant you are.

Link to article:

http://m.thestar.com...p-if-not-traded

And here's Luongo's year end presser where he clearly states "If I'm here in the future that's great, but if I'm not that's good too."

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 14 October 2012 - 06:35 AM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#42 darkpuncher

darkpuncher

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

To FLORIDA:
-Roberto Luongo
-2013 3rd (NYI)

-To NEW YORK ISLANDERS:
-Jakob Markstrom
-David Booth
-Keith Ballard
-2013 2nd (VAN)

To VANCOUVER:
-Kyle Okposo
-Lubomir Visnovsky

The Panthers already got rid of Luongo I don't think they really want him or the deal would already be done. The Isles don't need another prospect in goal in Markstrom. They already have DiP, Nabakov and 3 more prospects that are just about NHL ready in Koskinen, Nillson and Poulin. Also who would want Florida's rejects like Ballard and Booth except an arrogant foolish GM from Vancouver. Visnovsky will be going back to europe to retire soon and there is no chance the Isles will part with Okposo now that he seems to finally have figured things out will be a force in the NHL for years to come. Other than that nice try but I don't that will happen.

#43 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

And you're seemingly the only one on this forum that doesn't understand that Luongo is PERFECTLY FINE with staying as well.

SURREY, B.C.—Roberto Luongo was happy being a Vancouver Canuck — at least for one day.­

The veteran goaltender has been in limbo since the end of last season, when he lost the starting job in Vancouver to Cory Schneider and said he would waive his no-trade clause if the Canucks could work out a deal to send him to an approved destination.

But Luongo was at a Canucks charity golf tournament on Wednesday, and he said he would have no trouble playing alongside his friend Schneider again and will attend Vancouver's training camp, if necessary.

"Two months ago, after what had happened, and Schneids had just signed, I didn't really see myself being here for training camp," Luongo said. "But I realized once we got into August, that that was a possibility, and that I was OK with that."

He showed he was OK by participating in the Canucks' annual event, golfing with teammates and team staff at Northview Golf Course.
"The fact that I have a lot of good friends on the team, in the staff and the coaching staff and the organization, makes it a lot easier for me to be here," he said. "That's why I'm here today, and I didn't really hesitate in deciding whether I should come or not."

Under collective bargaining rules, Luongo must be traded before Saturday's NHL lockout deadline or wait until the labour dispute is resolved.
Luongo was displaced by Schneider as Vancouver's starting goaltender in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs as they bowed 4-1 to the eventual champion Los Angeles Kings. The Canucks subsequently signed Schneider to a new three-year, $12-million contract.

Schneider was not present Wednesday, because he and Manny Malhotra were in New York as part of the NHL Players Association's bargaining committee, trying to help work out a new labour agreement before the looming lockout. Even without the current labour uncertainty, it would be difficult financially to keep both goaltenders.
The 33-year-old Montreal native has indicated the Florida Panthers are his preferred destination. Luongo makes his off-season home in Florida and played for the Panthers before he was acquired in a trade by the Canucks following the last lockout in 2004-05.

But the former Vezina Trophy winner, who still has 10 years left on his 12-year, $64-million contract, said the Canucks have not asked him to submit a list of preferred teams, and he will wait until general manager Mike Gillis has a deal for him to consider. Until then, Luongo is willing to be patient given the unusual situation with the lockout pending.

"I'm going to leave that more up to (Gillis) to do his thing," Luongo said. "I don't really want to be talking about any other teams right now. I'm here with Vancouver. I think it's a bit disrespectful towards (Gillis) and others to be talking about other places."

In the meantime, Luongo said he is focusing on preparing himself for a season that may not come, regardless of where he is winds up playing.
"I'm just here to play, man," Luongo said. "That's all I want to do. I'm going to play and work hard like I always do ­— and the cards will fall where they may."

Gillis said he was not surprised that Luongo accepted an invitation to participate in the golf tournament because the goaltender has always taken a team-first approach.

The GM said teams have pursued Luongo and presented "solid" trade proposals, but the Canucks have not yet received an offer to their liking.

"We're going to do our best to make sure that Roberto is taken care of whether he is here or somewhere else," Gillis said. "We're going to look at his best interests, but also look at ours."
The Canucks are expected to take on a big contract to offset the costs that the other team inherits in Luongo's deal. Gillis said the Canucks will listen to all presented options, and a deal could involve three teams.

"It has to give us an opportunity to be different," Gillis said. "I don't think you replace an all-star goalie and necessarily feel you have to be better — but you have to be different."

Gillis stopped short of saying Schneider is Vancouver's new starting goaltender. If necessary, the GM said, Schneider and Luongo will compete for No. 1 status in camp.
Luongo indicated he does not have a problem with that scenario.

"Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me," Luongo said.

The third and last paragraph really confirm how ignorant you are.

Link to article:

http://m.thestar.com...p-if-not-traded

And here's Luongo's year end presser where he clearly states "If I'm here in the future that's great, but if I'm not that's good too."

:lol:

Oh yeah, he's a Canuck for life.

#44 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

The Panthers already got rid of Luongo I don't think they really want him or the deal would already be done.

To be honest, you're probably right. But that's why this 3rd team is incorporated. Florida effectively gets Luongo and a 3rd for Markstrom. Pretty good, if you ask me.

The Isles don't need another prospect in goal in Markstrom. They already have DiP, Nabakov and 3 more prospects that are just about NHL ready in Koskinen, Nillson and Poulin.

Dip is damaged, the other guys aren't nearly as enticing as Markstrom.

Also who would want Florida's rejects like Ballard and Booth except an arrogant foolish GM from Vancouver. Visnovsky will be going back to europe to retire soon and there is no chance the Isles will part with Okposo now that he seems to finally have figured things out will be a force in the NHL for years to come. Other than that nice try but I don't that will happen.

RE: Ballard & Booth, the Isles can't hit the UFA market realistically, as nobody wants to go there. This way, they get guys who are overpaid but already locked down for 2 - 3 more years.

You might be right on Okposo, but they've also got some other guys coming up that could render him tradeable.

#45 darkpuncher

darkpuncher

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

To be honest, you're probably right. But that's why this 3rd team is incorporated. Florida effectively gets Luongo and a 3rd for Markstrom. Pretty good, if you ask me.

Dip is damaged, the other guys aren't nearly as enticing as Markstrom.

RE: Ballard & Booth, the Isles can't hit the UFA market realistically, as nobody wants to go there. This way, they get guys who are overpaid but already locked down for 2 - 3 more years.

You might be right on Okposo, but they've also got some other guys coming up that could render him tradeable.

Markstrom isn't any better than Poulin, Nillson or Koskinen so as far as enticing goes perhaps to a team like the Devils would be more so. While it is true attracting free agents are difficult for the Isles they don't really need to do that when you draft like they do. The prospects they have in their system is ridiculous. The farm team in Bridgeport is loaded plus with Tavares turning into a superstar they just need to stay the course and they will become a dangerous team in the east without having to make blockbuster trades just to take on salary.
Booth and Ballard are dead weight on team like Vancouver where they have been successful what could they do really to help a team on the rise other than being overpaid. Finally guys like Okposo don't grow on trees if you get rid of them in their prime making 2.8 million per it is a steal at twice the price. Luongo will also be backing up Theodore which unless they get rid of him makes him a 5.3 miilion dollar back up goalie.

#46 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

He wouldn't say anything if he wanted out. He would tell MG he wants out. No matter what someone says, you're just going to say that he didn't mean it. So clearly you believe only what you want to believe.

#47 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Markstrom isn't any better than Poulin, Nillson or Koskinen so as far as enticing goes perhaps to a team like the Devils would be more so. While it is true attracting free agents are difficult for the Isles they don't really need to do that when you draft like they do. The prospects they have in their system is ridiculous. The farm team in Bridgeport is loaded plus with Tavares turning into a superstar they just need to stay the course and they will become a dangerous team in the east without having to make blockbuster trades just to take on salary.
Booth and Ballard are dead weight on team like Vancouver where they have been successful what could they do really to help a team on the rise other than being overpaid. Finally guys like Okposo don't grow on trees if you get rid of them in their prime making 2.8 million per it is a steal at twice the price. Luongo will also be backing up Theodore which unless they get rid of him makes him a 5.3 miilion dollar back up goalie.

You had some good points, but that statement is just ridiculous.

#48 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

No, no, no. Whoever takes Luongo is committing to him for a decade. They're not going to have much use for Markstrom (who's close) during that time. Nobody will want to allocate $5.2M to their backup goaltender.

No, no, no. Why do you think that any team which has Luongo under contract is committing to him for a decade? And why do you think that Tallon is an idiot? If anything Luongo would be around for 3 - 4 years as a starter (perhaps a few more if he stays healthy). After that Markstom will be around 26 yrs old (like Schneider is atm) and hopefully be ready to take over the starter role.

So what does Florida do with Luongo at this point in time?: 1.) the Panthers could trade him. Yes, they'd have to find another team willing to take him, but if you have a team which is looking for help getting to the cap floor having Luongo, even as a back-up would be helpful. Would Luongo bring back anything much at this point? Perhaps not, but he could likely bring back a pick or a prospect; 2.) the Panthers could waive him. Once again, if another team wants him enough they'll pick him up off the waiver wire for free, or he can be buried in the minors if no other team picks him up. Either way the Panthers will get the advantage of being free of Luongo's cap hit; 3.) the Panthers could keep him any number of reasons. Maybe the Panthers will be in a position where they need help reaching the cap floor. Maybe the Panthers are okay with keeping Luongo as a very capable $5+ million back-up. Maybe Luongo continues to play at a high level and Markstrom doesn't develop into their version of Schneider. Strange things happen in professional sports; 4.) Luongo could retire. He could. There aren't many folks who see him playing the last 4 years of his current deal, so it's likely any team which takes him is only committing to him for 6 years. There's also the chance that Luongo could be injured at some point during the term of his contract which could result in him being placed on LTIR.

I don't see things being that bleak for any team which trades for Luongo.

The incentive is that the Isles have Strome, Niederreiter, etc., other high-end talents that are young. Booth & Ballard will just provide a bit of stability to their teams. They're not horrible players, but they're overpaid. From NYI's perspective, that's fine. And Visnovsky has made it clear that he's not too interested in being an Islander.

If Ballard and Booth are overpaid, why would the Islanders want to take on their contracts in exchange for a young talented player who would still be in his prime when when Strom and Niederreiter reach the NHL? I do not see the incentive for the Islanders to do this deal.

If Ballard and Booth are traded I see it being a greater likelihood that they would go to a team which is closer to being in the playoffs (or already is in the playoffs) than the Islanders.

I like Luongo, he's an elite goaltender. But market forces are at play here. Like the Hawks fan said, the entire world knows that we need to get rid of him, so the offers will reflect this. If you're buying a house from someone who's desperate to sell, you'll adjust your offer accordingly - and this is no different.

You are right, there is no difference, except the Canucks aren't desperate to move Luongo. Yes, the Canucks would like to move Luongo, and they'd likely want to move him sooner rather than later, but they also have a lot of time to wait for an offer which makes sense to them, rather than get involved in a fire sale.

And in keeping with your real estate comparison, if there are competing offers (as there are with Luongo), then you'd adjust your offer accordingly. Your offer will go upwards, in an attempt to outbid the other guy. Yes, you'll still want to low-ball the owner, but then it becomes a gamble on your part as to whether or not the other guy(s) will offer something better. You appear to believe that any teams in competion for Luongo are trying to under-bid each other.

Florida gets a local hero back, someone who wants be there and is good enough to anchor that team for a long time. Markstrom might not be any good in the NHL; they absolve themselves of that risk by getting Luongo.

So you're suggesting that Florida should trade away their goalie of the future (who could do with another 3 - 4 years of development) because they get Luongo, who will likely only be the undisputed starter for maybe 4 years at most?

The Islanders get two helpful (albeit overpaid) components that can help them. If nothing else, it'll show their existing young guys that they're serious about trying to build something. And Markstrom could be the goaltender that they've needed for so long.

Moving Okposo will not show the rest of the team that management is trying to build something. A trade like this would say to me that management is trading long-term success for short term gain, as in trying to get a few more wins over the regular season as a means of saving their jobs.

From the Canucks' "win now" perspective, the only we're exchanging Booth & Ballard for Okposo & Visnovsky. Vis might be old, but there's no question that he's better than Ballard, so it's a win. Okposo and Booth is probably relatively even as it relates to today, with Okposo having far more upside.

So your trade is:

Ballard, Booth, and a 2nd = Okposo, Visnovsky
Luongo = nothing, other than a salary dump?

Visnovsky is 36 yrs old and on the last year of his contract. Maybe he would be re-signed, assuming he played something close to what he did 8 or 9 years ago. Do you see him being signed at something equal to his current contract ($5.6 million)? And as he would be a over 35 yrs old, I suspect Gillis would be unwilling to sign him for more than one year deals (similar to Salo). I don't think he would, so Visnovsky would likely not be here when his current contract expires.

And where would he play? Who would be his partner? By the looks of it you are assuming he would be a top-4 guy here, so who gets bunped down? Garrison? Yeah, that would make a lot of sense, and I can see all of the complaining about the Canucks having a $4.6 million bottom pairing d-man. And if Visnovsky plays on the bottom pairing, then the Canucks have gone from having a $4.2 million bottom pairing d-man to a $5.6 million bottom pairing d-man.:

Out - Ballard, Booth, Luongo and a 2nd
In - Okposo, Visnovsky (for very likely only one year)

I wouldn't do this deal.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 14 October 2012 - 10:44 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#49 Hamhuis2

Hamhuis2

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

We give up the two best players. No thanks.
Chicago Blackhawks NHL 14 OCDC League 2013/2014

J. Schultz(81)-Toews(92)-Pacioretty(88)....Keith(90)-Phaneuf(87)................Crawford(86)
Burns(87)-Kadri(85)-Yakupov(83)..............Hjalmarson(85)-N. Schultz(84)....Khabby(76)
Clarkson(83)-Zibanejad(80)-Ennis(82).......Koska(78)-Murray(83)
Kobasew(78)-Hanszus(79)-Morin(76)

#50 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

This has got to be some sort of joke...it's not funny. STAHP!

/=S=/

#51 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

hell no we get destroyed in though trades luongo alone will get us more thats worsed post ever

#52 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Ballard & Booth were both acquisition mistakes, which is very clear in Ballard's case and will become even more clear in Booth's, IMO. Neither is a fit. Getting rid of them is value in itself.

Losing Luongo is very obvious. He's gone. And knowing this, and ending up with a very intriguing young PF, as well as a very dangerous offensive d-man (age should not be relevant for us), would be a huge coup for Gillis.

Booth was a mistake?!?!?! What world are you living in bud? The Canucks traded Sturm (not even playing anymore in NHL cause he sucks) and Samuelson (who DIDN'T want to be here, was injured, hated the coaching and management and was old and ineffective) for a young player that has tons of potential signed for 4 years.

Just because Luongo is gone doesn't mean that Canucks are going to give him away. Were you knocked on the head recently?

At best Okposo + Visnovsky = Ballard + Booth, oh but lets throw in Luongo + a 2nd to sweeten the pot. Maybe they will send back a a bag of Tavares signed pucks just so we don't feel so bad at throwing away an Elite goalie and a pick.

Just one final note - Where did the team with Ballard and Booth on it finish in the standings? How about the one with Okposo and Visnovsky? If those Islanders are soooooooo much better as you put it why wasn't NYI challenging for the Cup?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.