#1 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Posted Image

New research suggests that a massive, star-scorched planet in the Cancer constellation, not far from our solar system, is made in large part of diamonds, opening new vistas on the way scientists understand how planets are created.
The planet, 55 Cancri e, is twice the size of Earth and so rich in carbon that it holds at least three times our planet’s mass in diamonds, according to a new paper that has been accepted for publication in the journal Astrophysical Journal Letters.

“We’re talking about a rocky planet. Not much gas, almost entirely solid. The outermost layer is at an extremely high temperature ... There could also be a lot of diamonds on the surface because of the geophysical movements in the interior. The diamonds could come to the surface very easily,” Dr. Madhusudhan said in an interview.On 55 Cancri e, the surface is covered in graphite, the dark stuff of pencils, with diamonds pushing through from layers underneath, said the paper’s lead researcher, Nikku Madhusudhan, a fellow at Yale University’s Center for Astronomy & Astrophysics.

“But just below the surface there is a very thick layer, about a third of the whole radius [of the planet], just in diamonds.”

That rocky, mind-boggling world broils under 2,150C heat because the planet is so close to its star.

“There’s not even a climate left. It’s rubbed off by the heat. It’s a permanent barbecue,” said co-author Olivier Mousis, a French astronomer at Université de Franche-Comté.

The planet is the closest of five that orbit around 55 Cancri A, a star located 40 light years from Earth, close enough that it can sometimes be seen with the naked eye.

“In astronomy terms, it’s like one of our suburbs. It’s closer to us than you and I are on the phone,” said Dr. Mousis, who was speaking from his office in Besançon, near the French-Swiss border.

The planet was detected in 2004 and its radius was estimated through transiting, meaning that scientists deduced 55 Cancri e’s size by measuring the decrease in luminosity when the orbiting planet transited in front of its star.

At first, researchers assumed that the planet’s composition was similar to the Earth, with iron, silicates and water.

However, Dr. Madhusudhan said, that model didn’t properly fit because, to match 55 Cancri e’s mass, an Earth-like model would required a massive layer of water that would have been in a supercritical state, neither liquid nor gas, because of the extreme conditions on the planet.

“That type of explanation wasn’t adequate ... it was a vision that was too anthropocentric,” Dr. Mousis said.

Their suspicions that another model should apply was further buttressed when spectrographic data showed that 55 Cancri e’s star was also very rich in carbon.

Presuming that the star and its planets were created from the same original chemical cloud, the researchers tested a number of chemical combinations that could better explain the planet’s mass.

The carbon-rich scenarios fit their calculations best, signalling a fundamental shift in the way faraway planets should be analyzed, Dr. Madhusudhan said.

“When we are looking for planets in outer solar systems, we now have to be very open with regards to their chemistry. We cannot presume that they are Earth-like.”

Baking so close to its star, 55 Cancri e could not host life but Dr. Madhusudhan said its existence raised questions about other high-carbon, low-water planets.

“We have to be open with regards what kind of biology could exist ... if we had the same planet at a cooler temperature, the life forms there could be very different from what we know. There wouldn’t be enough water or oxygen for them to survive so they would have to adapt to something else.”

The researchers are hoping to gain better insight on 55 Cancri e with more data from sources such as the Hubble telescope, NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, which works in the infrared spectrum, and the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope, which is run jointly with the National Research Council of Canada.

http://www.theglobea...article4605246/
Posted Image

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

I know what I'm getting my girl for her birthday this year.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#3 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

POPULAR

Fun Fact: Diamonds aren't actually rare. Their supply is controlled to increase their price, making them seem rare.

But that's still pretty cool.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#4 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

great now my wifes going to want a space diamond for her birthday, I can only imagine how much that's gotta cost. Way to go NASA. :(
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#5 Rhinogator

Rhinogator

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Its just carbon. That cursed black stuff turned pretty with sorcery. Don't get fooled
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Supply and demand ;)

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#7 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

great now my wifes going to want a space diamond for her birthday, I can only imagine how much that's gotta cost. Way to go NASA. :(

So your wife is going to expect NASA to come up with a spacecraft that could travel 40 light years to pick up diamonds from this planet and travel back 40 light years to Earth so she can have a "space diamond" for her Bday?

Perhaps a more suitable birthday gift would be subscription to a science and space magazine.

#8 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Fun Fact: Diamonds aren't actually rare. Their supply is controlled to increase their price, making them seem rare.

But that's still pretty cool.

De Beers is a family of companies that dominate the diamond, diamond mining, diamond hops, diamond trading and industrial diamond manufacturing sectors. De Beers is active in every category of industrial diamond mining: open-pit, underground, large-scale alluvial, coastal and deep sea.[1] Mining takes place in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Canada.
The company was founded by Cecil Rhodes, who was financed by Alfred Beit and Rothschild.[2] In 1927, Ernest Oppenheimer, a German Jewish immigrant to Britain who had earlier founded mining giant Anglo American plc with American financier J.P. Morgan,[3] managed to wrest control of the empire, building and consolidating the company's global monopoly over the diamond industry until his retirement. During this time, he was involved in a number of controversies, including price fixing, antitrust behaviour and an allegation of not releasing industrial diamonds for the US war effort during World War II.[
wikipedia

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#9 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

POPULAR

So your wife is going to expect NASA to come up with a spacecraft that could travel 40 light years to pick up diamonds from this planet and travel back 40 light years to Earth so she can have a "space diamond" for her Bday?

Perhaps a more suitable birthday gift would be subscription to a science and space magazine.

You actually took that post seriously?
Posted Image

#10 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Somewhat related news Russian recently announced they have trillions of carats in a previously secret diamond field. Enough to supply the planet for thousands of years.

#11 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

You actually took that post seriously?

No.

#12 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Gold is where the money's at. Platinum's up there too.

It has a set value, while diamonds don't. It might surprise you all to look at the prices of Rhodium too.

Anyway, interesting find.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

Pfft, diamonds.

Climaxes are a girl's real best friend.

Get her those.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#14 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Well, the moon is made of cheese and we still haven't brought any of that home

#15 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

only 40 years to get there and 40 years back. Np.

Oh, wait.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#16 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Oh, wait.

Posted Image

#17 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

De Beers is a family of companies that dominate the diamond, diamond mining, diamond hops, diamond trading and industrial diamond manufacturing sectors. De Beers is active in every category of industrial diamond mining: open-pit, underground, large-scale alluvial, coastal and deep sea.[1] Mining takes place in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Canada.
The company was founded by Cecil Rhodes, who was financed by Alfred Beit and Rothschild.[2] In 1927, Ernest Oppenheimer, a German Jewish immigrant to Britain who had earlier founded mining giant Anglo American plc with American financier J.P. Morgan,[3] managed to wrest control of the empire, building and consolidating the company's global monopoly over the diamond industry until his retirement. During this time, he was involved in a number of controversies, including price fixing, antitrust behaviour and an allegation of not releasing industrial diamonds for the US war effort during World War II.[
wikipedia

The Oppenheimer dynasty now owns and controls most of the world's diamonds resources and no, diamonds are not nearly as rare as 'they' would have us believe. Then again, can the Oppenheimer/Schiff/Rothschild families really be considered separate and individual entities considering how much inter-marrying there has been between them throughout the centuries?

You also forgot to mention that the Boer wars launched by the British in Africa (along with the annexing of the Transvaal in general) were conceived of and financed by the Rothschilds in order to secure the large diamond deposits there.

Diamonds can also be made from the carbons in human hair.

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 11 October 2012 - 07:40 PM.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

rsz_theylive.jpg 11477626583_2368927097.jpg  7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#18 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

dp

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 11 October 2012 - 07:40 PM.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#19 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

"Diamonds...that'll shut her up."

-Ron White
Posted Image

#20 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

"Diamonds...that'll shut her up."

-Ron White

I though you were going to say "she'll pretty much have to"...

#21 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

3 times the earths mass in pure diamonds. De Beers will control the mining and say "oh theres only enough here for a few thousand diamonds a year."

I would really love to see man made diamonds, which can be superior to "real" diamonds in every way, become so abundant they decimate the world diamond market and send De Beers into bankruptcy. That would be sweet.

Posted Image

#22 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Pfft, diamonds.

Get her those.

Lmao!! You find a girl who will stop at climaxes, you let me know....cuz what's better than just climaxes in the eyes of a girl?? Diamonds AND climaxes.
Posted Image

#23 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Pfft, diamonds.

Get her those.

meh. Space diamonds sounds easier. :)
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#24 6of1_halfdozenofother

6of1_halfdozenofother

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Clearly, the answer is to build a big-bottomed tractor beam!

Posted Image
People who label others as bandwagoners, people who tell other people "how" to cheer for their team, "how" they should act or what they should wear to "support" their team, people who only want to hear positive thoughts and don't want to read about how the team can do better - these are people who are insecure and uncomfortable within their own skin.

I'll support my team the way I choose, thank you very much. You can choose to support your team the way you want to, and I won't judge you on it as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me. I'll also be quick to point out where I think the team can do better, because identifying that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it; denying or ignoring a problem won't solve anything.

Go Canucks Go.

#25 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

because of this planet, now a ring won't be good enough for women. they'll expect you to get in a rocket and bring atleast a ton of diamonds.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#26 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

140an3r.jpg

#27 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

Oh, wait.

That is if you travel with the speed of light. I don't think we even have the technology to do half that speed.

40 light years = 3.78421136 × 1017 meters

Edited by Pouria, 13 October 2012 - 12:31 PM.

Posted Image

#28 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

That is if you travel with the speed of light. I don't think we even have the technology to do half that speed.

40 light years = 3.78421136 1017 meters

Dude.... IT WAS A JOKE!!!!!!!

#29 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,752 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Suddenly the diamond industry pumps billions of dollars into the aerospace industry.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#30 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

My gf said unless it's Cartier, she doesn't want it, lol ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.