The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Amanda Todd

Kass9

...and then explain to me why you think taking something from everyone else to solve a problem of yours isn't selfish?

Then this argument is over and probably never should've started in the first place?

Why would you differentiate between two completely different cases of suicide? I know virtually nothing about the suicide of Rick Rypien and thus I don't feel comfortable relating Amanda's suicide to his. If you think what I say applies to him, than feel free to apply my argument's logic to that case, otherwise don't. However I will not be the one to apply my argument to his case because I know nothing of it. Further, I won't argue whether my comments do or don't apply to his case, that is up to you to decide.

Yes, and it argues that suicide is selfish because of that.

Hmm, I respectfully disagree with your opinion (and anybody else who things so) on it being moronic. I don't think that there is anything moronic about him bringing up this (in my opinion) major issue, the issue being how people don't actually care as much as they act like they do about these kinds of things. How many of us are really going to go and do something which will help bring an end to bullying? Even if its something seemingly insignificant. Probably a very, very small percentage. And don't people think that would make Amanda sad? What do people think she would rather have her videos viral success result in, a popular facebook page or real actual change?

In my opinion, viral videos like these are just another way for people to feed their own ego, because they can go like a facebook page, post a heartfelt twitter update, or be the first one to talk about it at school or work. They can then pat themselves on the back for being such an empathetic kind-hearted human being, and proudly scorn anybody who has a different opinion on the matter. Of course not all people are like this, but I believe that they are the minority, and a very small minority at that.

Even if anybody found the video to be obnoxious or insensitive (that is his style anyways), he brings up good points which reveals our hypocrisy.

Yes, but one thing you need to realize is that suicide victims generally dont think its a selfish decision. You have to try and see it from their point of view.

Once I started learning about the problem, I reallized that people like you and me dont really have much of a way to understand what its like. Depression is a devastating problem and many people dont understand how it really feels, what it means to the sufferer, and the impact it can have.

Depression can alter your thinking to the point where the victim convinces him/herself that the world would be better off without them, and this includes their families. These people dont actually want to die, they are just desperate for their torment to end. Our minds are very powerful and depression overrides rational thought.

This is what I mean when I say this is something we cant imagine going through.

After reading more about Amanda Todd and the alleged hacker i started poking around on the internet.

People are messed up, why when i google her name do bad pictures of her come up ? Cant these website be stopped from posting these things ?

Yes, but one thing you need to realize is that suicide victims generally dont think its a selfish decision. You have to try and see it from their point of view.

Once I started learning about the problem, I reallized that people like you and me dont really have much of a way to understand what its like. Depression is a devastating problem and many people dont understand how it really feels, what it means to the sufferer, and the impact it can have.

Depression can alter your thinking to the point where the victim convinces him/herself that the world would be better off without them, and this includes their families. These people dont actually want to die, they are just desperate for their torment to end. Our minds are very powerful and depression overrides rational thought.

This is what I mean when I say this is something we cant imagine going through.

Firstly I thought you worded your disagreement very respectfully TCG - always good to share ideas without trying to belittle a differing view.

That said (and perhaps this sounded harsh) I thought his video was moronic because what is he trying to accomplish? He just assumes that the majority of people don't actually care? How would he know? How would he know if spreading her story is going to be effective long term in combatting cyber-bullying? To me he just seems to be throwing out accusations and (the kicker imo) he's not even doing anything to be part of the solution. He's criticizing people for not doing anything while he himself is not doing anything.

I think the Amanda Todd story gave people a feeling of emotional connection. It's not why should we care about Amanda and not about anyone else; it's we should care about how bad the effects of cyber-bullying can be and here is a reason why.

Not everyone has the time, ability, or right circumstances to actively go out each day and combat bullying but simply by reposting her story people are at the very least raising awareness to how serious the problem can be. Amanda's story helps people understand.

The Amazing Atheist accusing everyone of being hypocrites without actually being a solution himself to me just seemed moronic. I felt like he was just trying to be a "pot-stirrer" and ruffle peoples feathers.

I am really sad and angry... She made a mistake but nobody deserves what she went through. It bothers me that her video was posted a month before she commited suicide and no one reached out to her. Rest in peace Amanda Todd and I'm sorry you had to endure our sick society, a society where we only listen after you've died.

Yeah, you're probably right about him just trying to stir the pot, because he is known for doing that as well. And you're also probably right about how he himself isn't really contributing to the solution to the problem, considering he would never make a video like that one unless the topic wasn't what everybody was talking about. So yeah, all things considered, he is being just as much of a slactivist as the rest of us.

Although slactivists most of us are, and that is the bottom line. Whether that is a good or bad thing is anybodys opinion. I think that, while it definitely does raise awareness, there is something wrong about just clicking a button for our own personal satisfaction, rather than ultimately trying to bring an end to the problem at hand. Although it is obviously better than doing nothing, it just feels like people are missing the point. I could be wrong, I hope I am, but at the end of the day I think that this ordeal will just amount to a very popular facebook page. The bullys will continue to bully, and unless a strong effort is put into place to end that there won't be a significant change.

Maybe once these suicide videos start piling up (which they actually have been, there are hundreds of videos like these on youtube), and awareness of them is raised so that they are clogging the headlines, actions will be taken place to end bullying. So sure, raising awareness will most likely end up solving the problem, but it will be long before then, and thousands of teenagers will die before the issue becomes serious enough to spend time and money solving the problem. If their deaths are worth it to end bullying, however, that is anybodys opinion. That is where I think there is the moral dilemma.

I am really sad and angry... She made a mistake but nobody deserves what she went through. It bothers me that her video was posted a month before she commited suicide and no one reached out to her. Rest in peace Amanda Todd and I'm sorry you had to endure our sick society, a society where we only listen after you've died.

In London Ontario, eight alleged female bullies have been arrested and charged with criminal harassment. They may also face expulsion from school.

Eight high school students have been arrested and charged with criminal harassment following a police investigation into a bullying case at a school in southwestern Ontario.

Police in London, Ont., said their probe revealed that a student at London South Collegiate Institute had been the target of physical, emotional and cyber bullying.

The accused students — all female — have been released from police custody on a promise to appear in court. Police say additional charges may be laid.

An official with the Thames Valley District School Board said the eight suspects were suspended earlier this week, and face possible expulsion when the school completes its own investigation into the allegations.

Bill Tucker, the board's director of education, said the school and police, were made aware of the allegations a week ago after receiving more than half dozen tips from students, staff and community members.

Many of the tips had come in anonymously from the school's web portal.

Tucker said as a result, the school immediately took swift action to "monitor" the safety of the alleged victim.

On Friday, the school held an assembly to highlight the "positive results" of reporting bullying cases.

"Bullying is not tolerated. It's not acceptable. There are consequences," said Tucker.

He said that the board is also aware of the need to protect the accused students.

"I am responsible for the safety of all students," said Tucker.

The arrests came as several schools and groups prepared to pay tribute to bullying victims, including a British Columbia teen who committed suicide after enduring years of Internet sexual exploitation and torment by her peers.

Amanda Todd, who was from Port Coquitlam, B.C., took her own life last week, the latest in a series of high-profile bullying incidents that have come to tragic conclusions.

Her story — laid out in a YouTube video posted online a month before her death — captured worldwide attention and revived debate over how to prevent bullying and deal with those who commit the abuse.

On Monday, a New Democrat member of Parliament, introduced a motion calling for the creation of a House of Commons committee to develop a national bullying prevention strategy that would examine the prevalence and impact of bullying and look for ways to prevent it.

Several provinces have also taken steps to tackle the issue.

Ontario passed anti-bullying legislation in June, a few months after a 13-year-old boy was acquitted of robbing and assaulting 11-year-old Mitchell Wilson in a bullying case that garnered widespread attention.

Wilson, who suffered from muscular dystrophy, killed himself last September.

The legislation was introduced in the wake of another high-profile case, the death last year of 15-year-old Jamie Hubley, a boy who was targeted as an openly gay student at his Ottawa school.

Recent federal studies indicate that one in five children or youth have reported being victimized by bullies.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/eight-girls-charged-with-bullying-suspended' rel="external nofollow">

You will never end bullying, it's human nature........sorry. Not to say we shouldn't try, but there needs to be more focus oin empowering victims and helping them recover.

If bullies face consequences, it won't eliminate it but it certainly will be a deterrent to some.

My son's Principal said the exact same thing but, in the heat of the moment, that's ineffective. Kids sometimes need immediate intervention, not to work on themselves. Sure, there are things that can help a kid avoid being targeted as weak/vulnerable and I agree that you can empower victims and teach them to stand up for themselves. But sometimes a kid's outnumbered 8-1 and the stalkers are relentless, so all the empowerment in the world isn't going to make a difference at that point. And to let bullies off the hook with a "human nature" excuse is BS....bullies make choices in their actions. Often, they themselves have self esteem issues and a need to prove themselves - so that can also be worked on. To not focus on their end of things is letting them off the hook.

We don't tolerate bullies in the workplace, on the road as road ragers, etc. so why should schools or the internet be any different?

If "human nature" means you commit a crime, there are consequences to face in that. So bullies should definitely be factored into the equation in trying to fix this problem. I know you said "not to say we shouldn't try" - but I hate when people put the responsibility on the victims...they're just living their lives. The bullies have to have the spotlight on them, as the punks that they are, so that their behavior is exposed and they answer for it.

Archived