The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Amanda Todd

Kass9

i was suicidal during high school years due to bullying, i can understand this situation. the main thing that prevented me from doing the deed is that i didn't want my parents to be heartbroken because like the saying goes "no parent should outlive their children", looking back i am glad i never did it and even though i kept the bullying problem mainly to myself and never really seeked help from others i would suggest that its best to seek out some help when you're struggling, there are people who care.

rest in peace amanda, condolences to her family.

this just shows that trying to ignore bullies doesn't work, i know people try to tell kids to just ignore bullies but sorry that's not a solution. this girl changed school multiple times and tried to put it behind her but the problem kept following her, the way this idiotic generation of kids is you pretty much have to beat the person who's bullying you's face in to get them to stop.

i was suicidal during high school years due to bullying, i can understand this situation. the main thing that prevented me from doing the deed is that i didn't want my parents to be heartbroken because like the saying goes "no parent should outlive their children", looking back i am glad i never did it and even though i kept the bullying problem mainly to myself and never really seeked help from others i would suggest that its best to seek out some help when you're struggling, there are people who care.

rest in peace amanda, condolences to her family.

I don't know if any of you have heard yet but my football team is hosting a memorial game dedicated to her. Our whole team is taking pledges to donate to Crisis Intervention & Suicide Prevention Centre of British Columbia. Meadow Ridge Knights vs North Langley Bears. Should be a pretty intense game. Aparentely almost 200 people are coming. The reason I mention this is because I know its a random plug kinda but if you do have spare money, donating to this charity is a good cause. http://www.canadahelps.org/CharityProfilePage.aspx?CharityID=3363

The main thing that got me through highschool is remembering that it's temporary. I really wish I could convey to these kids how insignificant and petty everything's going to seem when they look back on their teenage years later in life. Yes, even bullying. As much as it sucked at the time, now I look back at it and roll my eyes and think about what idiots those kids were and how stupid the reasons for bullying were.

That being said, when I was a teenager I had the luxury of going home to a safe place and leaving it all behind at school. Cyber-bullies now invade that home environment so there's no safe place anymore. I can't imagine what that's like.

I was also considered someone that got bullied. Since I was 9. At the age of the 10 I was beaten up behind the school yard. And yes, as someone else said, going up to the bully and telling them to stop" is not the best of choice, because they will literally beat you up on the spot. IF I see those bullies today, things will get messy.

R.I.P.

Such a tragic event, but it's good that this is being made public. This kind of stuff is happening far too much and it needs to be addressed on a larger scale. This is one major problem with social media, as there is no more safety and security for people anywhere and the potential for tragic events such as these goes up tremendously.

For the people claiming that she's partially to blame for her mistake. Wow.

Coming from someone who's suffered from mild depression, seeking help isn't as easy as it seems.

She changed schools and cities, what, 4 times?

Sure, she flashed someone. She was looking for attention. She was what, 12 when it happened? How stupid of her.

Really. Reaaaaaaaaally dumb comments.

this is just so unbelievably sad.. I cried after watching the video and I'm an 18 year old guy.. it's too bad it wasn't news until it was too late.. imagine the support she would have had if her video went viral a month ago.. sigh some people are just terrible..

RIP amanda

Social media has taken bullying to a whole new level, and it's scary. Bullies used to have to at least bring the "toughness", face to face. Now, people glom on and it's like any bully can hop on the fast track by simply joining in online and adding their insults. God, we see it happen here and it's why we don't tolerate personal attacks...because it's too easy for it to spiral out of control and be damaging.

I was a single Mom and my kids were both bullied at certain points so I saw, first hand, how debilitating it was for them. My daughter is still dealing with the aftermath and it's severe and intense. The school(s) did nothing. They put up catchy posters and promoted anti bullying yet, when they were approached with a case, really didn't know how to handle it effectively.

This hurt my heart. Yes, this very young girl made some bad choices but it's a period of learning - and don't/didn't we all? But it doesn't seem like she did have anyone guiding her....maybe giving her pointers of how to not "try" so hard to please others. To feel good enough about herself that she didn't make choices that scream of low self esteem. In keeping these bullies as friends, etc., there's an obvious need that she felt to hang on to them, to fit in. Some just don't have the tools to do it without sacrificing themselves. It's so tragic and sad. Where WERE the parents is right? But, honestly, even the most involved parents (I was - maybe too much so at times?) can find themselves having to deal with a child who feels broken and is experiencing alienation and bullying. It's a very helpless situation at times.

I don't know how/where it ends, but strength in number applies at both ends. While bullying can snowball and escalate, the people standing beside the victim can also help deter it. Bullies are cowards who usually go for the vulnerable/weak and so it's important to stand beside people experiencing this horrible crime (yes, it is). Kids can be cruel and laugh at bullying like it's amusing...that makes it acceptable. It's not. I think alienation and isolation really come into play and, when kids are being bullied, they often feel very alone. If they have someone to turn to, it can really help. It's so tragic when they don't and take these drastic, fatal measures. Poor kid.

I feel so terribly sad over this. I've seen girls like this and it's so senseless...if only they'd find that acceptance they're looking for within themselves.

TP: I think most parents wouldn't be in a place to even thinking about suing. I know I wouldn't want the blood m oney associated with what sent my child over the edge. To profit from it monetarily. It would mean fighting it out and dragging yourself through it in a more public vs private way.

Sorry for the TLDR post... mostly, it was for myself. :)

Archived