The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Amanda Todd

Kass9

I put most of the blame on parents. Bullying is simply a part of scool and it happens to everyone kid in one form or another. A lot of bullies were bullied in the first place to become that way. And you will never completely remove that aspect from early childhood.

So to me it's up to parents firstly to speak to their children about it. Your child or teenager should have no problem talking to you about it. Secondly it's the schools responsibly to bring it to everyone's attention.

Sadly it seems like these kinds of things will always happen once in awhile.

RIP

Amanda Todd didn't have a hope in hell. What are you supposed to do when you are surrounded by children all day in an environment that is perfectly suited to keeping them infantalized? This is the fundamental hypocrisy of adults blaming children for not treating each other with respect. Where the hell are they going to learn respect? Children today do not have the status of personhood. That is why they are coerced to be in schools in the first place. And that is where they learn to treat other people like objects. After all, that is how they are treated. I know that when I was in school it did not matter what I felt, or thought, or was interested in learning, or how poorly I was being treated by teachers or by peers. I had to be there. I had to do what I was told. "Sit down. Shut up. Don't cause a fuss".was the general vibe of the environment. So in my mind blaming the bullies is just another way society goes about blaming the victims of it's own bullying for the effects.

so I was playing GTA IV Multiplayer lastnight, and these two idiots were talking. The one clown asked the other if he heard about Amanda Todd. Well anyway, long story short, he ended up talking a lot of smack about her, said he only found out about it lastnight, but he sure knew every detail, saying how she was an idiot and how he hates people/girls that act like their problems are so huge etc...and then finished it off with "Man I wouldda helped her" the other guy goes "Oh you wanted to help her?" "Yeah, like put a glock up to her head and say "here ya go" "-Which he then reiterated a few more times. God damn!! I wish I recorded my online play. Please tell me how it is legal to even talk like that? F'd up people!!!!! Nothuing different than the comments that are seen on that youtube video though

EDIT: Oh yeah and just before I left I said "You should just kill yourself"

I put most of the blame on parents. Bullying is simply a part of scool and it happens to everyone kid in one form or another. A lot of bullies were bullied in the first place to become that way. And you will never completely remove that aspect from early childhood.

So to me it's up to parents firstly to speak to their children about it. Your child or teenager should have no problem talking to you about it. Secondly it's the schools responsibly to bring it to everyone's attention.

Sadly it seems like these kinds of things will always happen once in awhile.

RIP

From a legal perspective, it is difficulty to characterize "bullying" and prove it in cases where physical contacts are not invovled. People get offended by the slightest thing nowadays and it would've been a nightmare to interact with others if anti-bullying were legislated.

so I was playing GTA IV Multiplayer lastnight, and these two idiots were talking. The one clown asked the other if he heard about Amanda Todd. Well anyway, long story short, he ended up talking a lot of smack about her, said he only found out about it lastnight, but he sure knew every detail, saying how she was an idiot and how he hates people/girls that act like their problems are so huge etc...and then finished it off with "Man I wouldda helped her" the other guy goes "Oh you wanted to help her?" "Yeah, like put a glock up to her head and say "here ya go" "-Which he then reiterated a few more times. God damn!! I wish I recorded my online play. Please tell me how it is legal to even talk like that? F'd up people!!!!! Nothuing different than the comments that are seen on that youtube video though

EDIT: Oh yeah and just before I left I said "You should just kill yourself"

I'm not trying to justify anything that was done to her. No, she did not deserve what happened to her. Yes, I sympathize with her family. However, if you believe that no blame whatsoever is in her ballpark, you're wrong. She made a stupid mistake for a pre-teen? Sure. That mistake still eventually lead to her suicide. Go ahead and call me "immature", "ignorant", or whatever you'd prefer to say. I'm entitled to my own opinion and I believe that while what happened to her is BEYOND messed up, and that the guy who did it deserves more than his fair share of punishment in prison. Acting as if I was saying she's to blame for more than a minute bit of this is incorrect, and you guys know it.

When I was thirteen years old in 2000 an eight grader committed suicide by jumping off a bridge in Surrey. This problem is nothing new and soon this will fade from the public discourse and we will await the next tragedy while nothing changes. Instead of asking what we can do to prevent incidents like this from occurring people are wanting to appropriate blame, see the severe punishments are handed out, etc. Like any of these things will prevent the next Amanda Todd from committing suicide.

This has hit my son and family hard..

My son goes to the same school that Amanda went to. He has also been bullied very badly for the last 4 years starting in grade 6, the bullies also made a face book page ( around 3 years ago) and even used a pic from his own profile (a picture of him playing guitar) calling him a "Gay Slur" and calling on people to agree he was worthless.I only found the face book page by accident by randomly doing a search of his name. I complained to the school and provided proof of it with all the names of the students on the page

( I was able to take a screen shot before the kids could take their names off) Nothing was done...it wasn't even recorded on their school records.

As he moved to high school alot of the bullies followed as it was in the same district. (#42)

Things went from bad to worse as the made sure no one should become friends with him and made sure he was harassed even more.

At one point he was attacked in front of our own house by 15 youths. I just happened to be leaving at the same time and was able to stop and push the kids away before any real harm was done. So what do you think happened after that?

You'd be wrong in assuming that the kids were punished this time. As a matter of fact I was charged with assault because the kids all banded together to say that I randomly attacked them. Even though several had been identified as kids that had bullied my son before. One year after...almost to the day of the attack and around 7000 dollars in legal bills later the crown drops the charges.

Seems the youths, some of the kids involved are arrested for beating pepper spraying and robbing another kid that they have also targeted.

Seems they know longer believed I attacked them..

In all of this my son has gone from a happy talented musician to a lonely and sad young man who spends most of his time in his room also wishing at times.. that he could just disappear.

Where am i going with this? I have tried for years to get the school district to do something, they are quite aware of my sons and other youths problems, but say their doing everything that thy are required to do.They even suggested we sell are house and move away for the good of our son.

I asked about trying to do something for bullied kids.Maybe introduce a program into the high schools like Alberta is doing called SACSC http://www.sacsc.ca/ There it is actually part of the school curriculum.

The only thing that they seem to want to do is "Pink Shirt Day".

The time for change in our schools is now!!

How many more lives have to be lost..

My son goes to the same school that Amanda went to. He has also been bullied very badly for the last 4 years starting in grade 6, the bullies also made a face book page ( around 3 years ago) and even used a pic from his own profile (a picture of him playing guitar) calling him a "Gay Slur" and calling on people to agree he was worthless.I only found the face book page by accident by randomly doing a search of his name. I complained to the school and provided proof of it with all the names of the students on the page

( I was able to take a screen shot before the kids could take their names off) Nothing was done...it wasn't even recorded on their school records.

As he moved to high school alot of the bullies followed as it was in the same district. (#42)

Things went from bad to worse as the made sure no one should become friends with him and made sure he was harassed even more.

At one point he was attacked in front of our own house by 15 youths. I just happened to be leaving at the same time and was able to stop and push the kids away before any real harm was done. So what do you think happened after that?

You'd be wrong in assuming that the kids were punished this time. As a matter of fact I was charged with assault because the kids all banded together to say that I randomly attacked them. Even though several had been identified as kids that had bullied my son before. One year after...almost to the day of the attack and around 7000 dollars in legal bills later the crown drops the charges.

Seems the youths, some of the kids involved are arrested for beating pepper spraying and robbing another kid that they have also targeted.

In all of this my son has gone from a happy talented musician to a lonely and sad young man who spends most of his time in his room also wishing at times.. that he could just disappear.

Where am i going with this? I have tried for years to get the school district to do something, they are quite aware of my sons and other youths problems, but say their doing everything that thy are required to do.They even suggested we sell are house and move away for the good of our son.

I asked about trying to do something for bullied kids.Maybe introduce a program into the high schools like Alberta is doing called SACSC http://www.sacsc.ca/ There it is actually part of the school curriculum.

Not condoning what happened, but the reason the fight happened is because she slept with another girls boyfriend. Same thing would happen with adults at a pub if the same situation happened.

really? She should know better not to sleep with a guy who has a girlfriend.

Archived