448 replies to this topic

#301 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

And what difference are you making other than inciting those that are posting in solidarity with those grieving her loss or attempting to positively contribute to the larger conversation?

because posting on facebook does nothing and most of these people didn't even care until AFTER she died

#302 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

because posting on facebook does nothing and most of these people didn't even care until AFTER she died

Because you were doing something to help the anti-bullying cause before she died??

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#303 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Because you were doing something to help the anti-bullying cause before she died??

No, but I'm also not posting on facebook up on my high-horse acting like it's making a difference. Get it?

#304 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Generally you can only care about somebody's suicide after it happens...

edit
Oh so you're not even helping raise awareness then?

Edited by Nevlach, 16 October 2012 - 08:43 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#305 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

No, but I'm also not posting on facebook up on my high-horse acting like it's making a difference. Get it?

No, you're getting on your high-horse about their posts....that's better??

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#306 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

No, you're getting on your high-horse about their posts....that's better??

please explain how posting on facebook helps with anything?

it's like people that thought posting about Kony would de-stabilize a warlord or posting on the NHL page would prevent a lockout. Nope

Be pro-active, not preachy

#307 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

it's like people that thought posting about Kony would de-stabilize a warlord or posting on the NHL page would prevent a lockout. Nope

The onus isn't on me to show how it helps, the onus is on you, to show how it doesn't, since you're the one who suggested it doesn't.

#308 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Well I can turn that around on you cause really your preaching about other people being pro-active, but are you pro-active?

I don't understand some people that get all bent out of shape when they see other people caring about stuff. It's like they never learned how to be empathetic, and they are grasping to understand this emotion.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#309 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

The onus isn't on me to show how it helps, the onus is on you, to show how it doesn't, since you're the one who suggested it doesn't.

Actually it's on you as well seeing as how you think someone posting on facebook helps with anything in the real world. Quite arrogant aren't ya?

How does it not help? cause it's the internet, not the real world. Things are accomplished by actually getting out there and physically doing something not sitting on your ass posting on the internet.

People who are affected by things on the internet (such as cyberbullying) have pre-existing problems, I don't give a rats ass what someone I don't know says about me on the internet

Edited by TowelPower12, 16 October 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#310 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Actually it's on you as well seeing as how you think someone posting on facebook helps with anything in the real world. Quite arrogant aren't ya?

How does it not help? cause it's the internet, not the real world. Things are accomplished by actually getting out there and physically doing something not sitting on your ass posting on the internet.

I was going to consider your argument but it seems you believe posting on the internet doesn't accomplish anything...like say winning an argument....so I figure I can just disregard anything you type because I already know whatever you say won't accomplish anything (like changing my mind).

;)

Edited by Nevlach, 16 October 2012 - 08:58 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#311 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

I was going to consider your argument but it seems you believe posting on the internet doesn't accomplish anything...like say winning an argument....so I figure I can just disregard anything you type because I already know whatever you say won't accomplish anything (like changing my mind).

;)

Exactly. And vice-versa, it's not going to change my mind either.

#312 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

People who are affected by things on the internet (such as cyberbullying) have pre-existing problems, I don't give a rats ass what someone I don't know says about me on the internet

I already asserted how it helps in my initial response to you. I asserted that it provides a means of solidarity and an outlet to grieve, both which are productive for those who aren't associated directly with her or are looking for a way to express their sorrow and grief, something that's been shown to be a healthy thing.

Pointing that out is hardly arrogance. Not understanding what i'm saying though is an example uncomprehending ignorance though.

Now you show the logic of your b.s.

#313 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,671 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

POPULAR

Sappy posts??

It's not unprecedented on CDC for people to grieve the loss of a person that they may have not know personally or relate to a sad story by offering their own testimony as a way of relating and empathizing.

You apparently lack the ability to empathize as they do, because you're obviously too manly to publicly display any sort of grief, sorrow or empathy.

If you don't like it, don't look at this thread, or don't respond. I'm sure there's a music thread for you to participate in instead.

It's almost comical how Sharp is pretending to champion the meek, while tomorrow he'll spend 10 hours trying to berate, humiliate and bully people for having different beliefs from him.

I, for one, empathize in ways that go beyond (or fall short of) trying to talk about myself. Unfortunately, I didn't feel a whole lot this time around. Thank god, because sorrow doesn't really achieve a whole lot (for me, anyway!). The (not so) Amazing Atheist's video, on the other hand, did make me feel a strong desire to chat to those shy, uncomfortable looking students in class tomorrow.

Anyway, I know you're not exactly known for your sense of humour, but that "music joke" that you tack on to each post is less than funny at this point. I can maybe hear some familiar cackling from beyond your shoulder, but for those of us who don't ride around on broomsticks, maybe you should try to mix things up a bit.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#314 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

I already asserted how it helps in my initial response to you. I asserted that it provides a means of solidarity and an outlet to grieve, both which are productive for those who aren't associated directly with her or are looking for a way to express their sorrow and grief, something that's been shown to be a healthy thing.

Pointing that out is hardly arrogance. Not understanding what i'm saying though is an example uncomprehending ignorance though.

Now you show the logic of your b.s.

Great so it helps the individual person who's posting it to grieve, woohoo.

if you don't directly know her anyways why would it upset someone that much? it's a sad story yes, but unless you actually knew the person then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's like people who cry when a celebrity dies

#315 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

if you don't directly know her anyways why would it upset someone that much? it's a sad story yes, but unless you actually knew the person then I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's like people who cry when a celebrity dies

Obviously empathy is not one of your virtues.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 16 October 2012 - 09:07 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#316 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Obviously empathy is not one of your virtues.

It's sad that she died and the kids that did it deserve rot in hell.

But i'm not going to cry about it or lose sleep over it, I did not know her, she did not know me, and anyone who wasn't a friend or relative even knew who she was before this happened.

#317 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

There is a difference between SS criticizing religious beliefs in a thread about religion and a stalker exploiting a 12 year old, blackmailing her, stalking her, etc. to the point where she commits suicide...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#318 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

It's almost comical how Sharp is pretending to champion the meek, while tomorrow he'll spend 10 hours trying to berate, humiliate and bully people for having different beliefs from him.

I, for one, empathize in ways that go beyond (or fall short of) trying to talk about myself. Unfortunately, I didn't feel a whole lot this time around. Thank god, because sorrow doesn't really achieve a whole lot (for me, anyway!). The (not so) Amazing Atheist's video, on the other hand, did make me feel a strong desire to chat to those shy, uncomfortable looking students in class tomorrow.

Anyway, I know you're not exactly known for your sense of humour, but that "music joke" that you tack on to each post is less than funny at this point. I can maybe hear some familiar cackling from beyond your shoulder, but for those of us who don't ride around on broomsticks, maybe you should try to mix things up a bit.

I only berate and humiliate the ignorant and half-witted.....so i'll see you tomorrow champ.

Why do you believe that your way of empathizing is superior than another's, when they do so by sharing their own story? Are you suggesting that you've cornered the market on empathy??

Sorrow may not achieve something for you, but what makes you think that if it does achieve something for someone else, it's less important or genuine than what you do to express or internalize your own sorrow??

I'd take a bat out of hell on a broomstick than your passive-aggressive cynicism any day. And i can't wait for your next emo-song of the year in the music thread. They provide me with so much insight.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 16 October 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#319 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, it does....that's the whole point.

What's the point of your sh*tting on them for doing so??

#320 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

here's another blowhard getting mad at facebook about it because people voluntarily join facebook

http://www.youtube.c...&v=NrwFiUm_vao#!

#321 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

The problem with this comparison of course being that Kony and the lockout is a single specific problem, whereas bullying is more of a general problem that can actually be improved through awareness. Awareness is a lot more effective for general problems like these. Honestly if getting this story out convinces one parent to talk to one child about bullying, and it prevents that kid from bullying others then I'm completely fine with having to see it in my facebook newsfeed 10 times a day, especially since the amount it is inconveniencing me is none at all. Nobody is saying it's going to eliminate bullying, but that doesn't mean things can't be done to lower the incidence of it and I can't understand how you can justify wasting time and energy complaining about it.

#322 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

It's sad that she died and the kids that did it deserve rot in hell.

But i'm not going to cry about it or lose sleep over it, I did not know her, she did not know me, and anyone who wasn't a friend or relative even knew who she was before this happened.

The model of empathy ladies and gentlemen.

#323 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Yeah, it does....that's the whole point.

What's the point of your sh*tting on them for doing so??

because they think they're raising awareness and helping society somehow when really all they're doing is helping themself and seeing how many likes their comment can get as i said in my original post.

#324 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Yet you just ;had to pop in to denigrate and deride those who do feel sorrow for Amanda Todd and this whole sad situation. You just can't seem to help yourself, can you? You could have just bypassed this thread altogether but can't resist getting in your passive/aggressive (and some blatant) shots that have nothing to do with the thread topic.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#325 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

The model of empathy ladies and gentlemen.

the model of a bleeding-heart internet hero ladies and gentlemen

#326 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

because they think they're raising awareness and helping society somehow when really all they're doing is helping themself and seeing how many likes their comment can get as i said in my original post.

How is it not raising awareness of how serious cyber-bullying can be?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#327 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

the model of a bleeding-heart internet hero ladies and gentlemen

I'm happy to set the example and accept the label, as my heart does bleed for young girls who are bullied into taking their own lives.

I'd rather be me than you.

#328 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

How is it not raising awareness of how serious cyber-bullying can be?

how does someone who didn't even know who Amanda Todd was posting something like "we love you Amanda Todd" help raise awareness of how serious cyber bullying is?

#329 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

So your cynicism is the foundation of reality??

#330 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm happy to set the example and accept the label, as my heart does bleed for young girls who are bullied into taking their own lives.

I'd rather be me than you.

Funny how you're so against cyber-bullying when like them you use the internet to talk down to people from the safety of your computer screen. Also like them you probably would be too scared to say half the things you say on the internet to someone's face.

Good for you, i'd rather eat glass than be you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.