448 replies to this topic

#331 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I only the the ignorant and half-witted.....so i'll see you tomorrow champ.

Why do you believe that your way of empathizing is superior than another's, when they do so by sharing their own story? Are you suggesting that you've cornered the market on empathy??

Sorrow may not achieve something for you, but what makes you think that if it does achieve something for someone else, it's less important or genuine than what you do to express or internalize your own sorrow??

I'd take a bat out of hell on a broomstick than your passive-aggressive cynicism any day. And i can't wait for your next emo-song of the year in the music thread. They provide me with so much insight.

Seriously though, do you even know what the word "emo" means in relation to music? And you are aware that the word "emo" is totally passe, right?
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#332 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

how does someone who didn't even know who Amanda Todd was posting something like "we love you Amanda Todd" help raise awareness of how serious cyber bullying is?

It's called empathy you automaton.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#333 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

It's called empathy you automaton.

Great, not everyone is overly-empathetic you complete tool.

As I said it's sad this happened to the girl, but I'm not going to get depressed over it

Someone commits suicide every 40 seconds, so someone just died while I was writing this post. Should we be empathetic now?

Edited by TowelPower12, 16 October 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#334 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,019 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

how does someone who didn't even know who Amanda Todd was posting something like "we love you Amanda Todd" help raise awareness of how serious cyber bullying is?

Umm because people became aware of how serious the consequences of cyber bullying can be....

I don't think you have to know who Amanda Todd was to realize "holy crap she took her own life because of how bad cyber-bullying can be. I better share her story so we can learn from it and hopefully take steps in the future to prevent it from happening again."

It's not rocket science...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#335 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Funny how you're so against cyber-bullying when like them you use the internet to talk down to people from the safety of your computer screen. Also like them you probably would be too scared to say half the things you say on the internet to someone's face.

Good for you, i'd rather eat glass than be you

I talk down to those who puff their ignorance out there as something to be proud of. You want to make inane comments on a message board, expect them to be challenged and denigrated if they're obtuse and wholey filled with asinine logic.

And i'd have absolutely no problem saying anything i've said to you so far to your face.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#336 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,019 posts

As I said it's sad this happened to the girl, but I'm not going to get depressed over it

Someone commits suicide every 40 seconds, so someone just died while I was writing this post. Should we be empathetic now?

No one is asking you to get depressed over it. :P
Posted Image
Posted Image

#337 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,019 posts

I don't know why I'm chiming in... haha
Posted Image
Posted Image

#338 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Seriously though, do you even know what the word "emo" means in relation to music? And you are aware that the word "emo" is totally passe, right?

Passe? Good lord

Passe is passe.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 16 October 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#339 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I talk down to those who puff their ignorance out there as something to be proud of. You want to make inane comments on a message board, expect them to be challenged and denigrated if they're obtuse and wholey filled with asinine logic.

And i'd have absolutely no problem saying anything i've said to you so far to your face.

actually yes you would cause someone as smug and arrogant as you usually gets knocked off their high-horse, literally

how am I ignorant, because I'm not overly-empathetic? not everyone is like that sorry to inform you, maybe live outside yourcomputer and you'll realize not everyone has the same feelings and opinions as you

#340 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

It's not 'overly' empathetic, it's simply empathetic....again, something you've demonstrated with your own words that you're not capable of possessing.

No one asked you to get depressed about it, did they?

Someone commits suicide every 40 seconds??? So, there were over a thousand suicides today and everyday?? You're a loon.

#341 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

It's not 'overly' empathetic, it's simply empathetic....again, something you've demonstrated with your own words that you're not capable of possessing.

Someone commits suicide every 40 seconds??? So, there were over a thousand suicides today and everyday?? You're a loon.

7 billion people on the planet there big shooter, 1000 suicides a day is not that far-fetched.

Estimated numbers are someone dies in general every 1.8 seconds. so around 33 deaths a minute, pretty sure it wouldn't be that unrealistic to think one of those deaths is a suicide

Edited by TowelPower12, 16 October 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#342 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

POPULAR

One Million People Commit Suicide Each Year - World Suicide Prevention Day, September 10th, 2011

Editor's Choice
Main Category: Psychology / Psychiatry
Also Included In: Depression; Mental Health
Article Date: 10 Sep 2011 - 21:00 PDT

Current ratings for:
One Million People Commit Suicide Each Year - World Suicide Prevention Day, September 10th, 2011

Patient / Public: Posted Image 3.7 (10 votes)
Healthcare Prof: Posted Image 5 (2 votes)

Article opinions: 7 posts

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day - WHO (World Health Organization) and IASP (International Association for Suicide Prevention) co-sponsor this date every year in their attempt to combat global suicide rates.

Events this year will include:
  • The release of thousands of lanterns in Ireland
  • Volunteer workshops in Malaysia
  • Several organized walks in America and Australia
  • An Inuit Celebration of life ceremony, Parliament Hill, Canada
  • An education seminar in Bangalore, India
According to WHO, approximately one million people commit suicide each year worldwide, that is about one death every 40 seconds or 3,000 per day. For each individual who takes his/her own life, at least 20 attempt to do so. Suicide has a global mortality rate of 16 per 100,000 people.

Dr. Lanny Berman, President of IASP, said:

"On World Suicide Prevention Day, September 10, 2011, the theme 'Preventing Suicide in Multicultural Societies' will be embraced. As we develop and implement national and local suicide intervention strategies we need to be aware of cultural factors that can impact on suicidal behavior in diverse settings.

We have seen positive outcomes from our tailored approaches to suicide prevention. For example, the restriction of the sale of charcoal in supermarket chains in Hong Kong has resulted in a significant reduction in the number of suicides by poisoning from charcoal burning, and a concerted community response to suicide prevention at a district level shows a positive impact on rates of deliberate self-harm and suicide." "

Dr. Berman said that suicide rates are considerably reduced when leaders make suicide prevention a top priority for their entire systems, as is the case in the US Air Force. When programs that concentrate on improving recognition and care of depression are implemented, the number of suicides and suicide attempts go down significantly.

Dr. Berman added:

"In Australia, stricter firearm legislation coincided with a significant reduction in the number of firearm suicides, and, in England, restricted access through altered packaging of over-the-counter- medicines resulted in a reduction in the number of deaths by intentional overdose.

These few examples demonstrate that if we take into account cultural elements, we can make great strides in the advancement of suicide prevention, understanding and practice."

Activities have been held in over 40 nations throughout the world, IASP informs. World Suicide Prevention Day banners have been prepared in over 40 languages.

Suicide

Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death globally. In the USA there are two suicides for every homicide. Worldwide, the suicide rate has gone up by 60% over the last five decades - mainly in industrialized nations.

60% of all suicides occur in Asia. China India and Japan account for about 40% of all suicides, according to WHO.

16.5% of suicides in the USA are alcohol-related. An alcoholic has between 5 and 20 times the risk of committing suicide compared to the rest of the population. Individuals who misuse drugs are 10 to 20 times more likely to take their own lives. Approximately 33% of suicides among those younger than 35 years of age have a primary diagnosis of alcohol or other substance misuse. Among adolescent suicides, alcohol or drug misuse are factors in up to 70% of cases.

In Western countries, men commit suicide more often than women, but women attempt suicide more frequently. Experts say this is probably because men are more willing to end their lives through effective violent means. In the majority of countries throughout the world, drug overdoses make up approximately two-thirds of suicides among females and one-third among males.

Copyright: Medical News Today
Not to be reproduced without permission of Medical News Today

Edited by Jagermeister, 16 October 2012 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image

#343 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

^ thanks, nice to see your arrogance and thinking you know everything blinds you from how stupid you actually are SS

Edited by TowelPower12, 16 October 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#344 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

POPULAR

If you don't believe it you should take it up with the WHO not him. It's their official stat not something he just made up.

nbwwh1.jpg

Credit to Avs Twitter

#345 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

actually yes you would cause someone as smug and arrogant as you usually gets knocked off their high-horse, literally

how am I ignorant, because I'm not overly-empathetic? not everyone is like that sorry to inform you, maybe live outside yourcomputer and you'll realize not everyone has the same feelings and opinions as you

Oh the irony, it does bring the sound of 'whoosh'.

Anytime you want to take a shot at me or my horse, you let me know kiddo.

#346 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

lol i just put a shot right between your eyes with the suicide facts that you called me a "loon" about you arrogant dumbass.

have a good one

#347 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well, somebody who didn't already know the story goes "Who is this Amanda Todd?". Then they do a quick Google search and BAM awareness. It's pretty simple, even if the individual who posted that specific status was doing it for all the wrong reasons, it still equals exposure for the story, which is certainly one that people need to know.

#348 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

It is estimated that approximately 4,000 Canadians (over 10 people per day) take their own lives every year. This translates into over 3 Million Canadians (family, friends, neighbours, co-workers etc.) who are affected by suicide each year.

http://www.reasontol...a/suicide-facts

#349 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

don't bring her into this!
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#350 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

^ thanks, nice to see your arrogance and thinking you know everything blinds you from how stupid you actually are SS

Please point me to the part that you said worldwide, while talking about the case of a Canadian girl.

I'll wait.

#351 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Please point me to the part that you said worldwide, while talking about the case of a Canadian girl.

I'll wait.

Lol i like how you only bring up the numbers from Canada in your argument. Getting desperate now eh?

There's a world outside Canada there buddy

#352 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

If you don't believe it you should take it up with the WHO not him. It's their official stat not something he just made up.

Or you could point to the part where he stipulated that people were committing suicide 'around the world' every 40 seconds.

Get back to me at your own convenience.

#353 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Oh now it's just embarrassing.
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#354 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Or you could point to the part where he stipulated that people were committing suicide 'around the world' every 40 seconds.

Get back to me at your own convenience.

Why would I have to specify? Do suicides only occur in Canada? no they occur everywhere, you lose. that little-man complex must suck eh?

#355 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Lol i like how you only bring up the numbers from Canada in your argument. Getting desperate now eh?

There's a world outside Canada there buddy

The entire discussion has been centered around Amanda Todd, a Canadian.

Show me where you were talking about 'the world'......buddy.

#356 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Why would I have to specify? Do suicides only occur in Canada? no they occur everywhere, you lose. that little-man complex must suck eh?

You specify in order to make it known what you're talking about. Do I have to educate you in how to affectively communicate as well?

#357 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Oh now it's just embarrassing.

Is that your new song of the year?

#358 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

You specify in order to make it known what you're talking about. Do I have to educate you in how to affectively communicate as well?

No you specify to people who are too stupid to think and need every little detail spelled out for them, why would I only quote the Canadian numbers? Suicide is not a Canadian problem it's a global problem, keep grasping at straws

#359 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

POPULAR

the model of a bleeding-heart internet hero ladies and gentlemen

You win.

Go away. Why can't you just leave it be? Is it that much fun to be cynical about this? You may not be losing sleep which is totally fine but what exactly are you accomplishing here? Arguing for the sake of arguing? Hate to pull the sappy BS card but perhaps this isn't the subject matter to act like this in.

I could say similar to a few people here; some for this same garbage and some for bothering to pick up the rope. Seriously though, and I'll ask nicely, please just stop. You may not care or understand why others do but then again you don't have to understand it or agree with it.

I don't care if I'm the town narc I'm going to start hitting the report button. (I guess when I'm asked what I'm doing this very minute that will be my answer.) Hopefully the thread stays and the posts and posters don't.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#360 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

POPULAR

Doesn't understand someones post-- they can't communicate affectively.
Someone can't understand his post-- they have poor reading comprehension.

Edited by Jagermeister, 16 October 2012 - 09:51 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.