The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Amanda Todd

Kass9

Pathetic troll? You've been treating a lot of people with a lot of disrespect around here lately and I'm certainly not the only one that has noticed it. And there's more than a few people that will agree with me. Your fan club dedicated a four page thread to you about this the other day.

Anti-Amanda Todd feelings. LOL. I've been fighting those pathetic pieces of trashes on Facebook when I can. I will gladly post evidence of that when I get back from school just so I can make you look like a fool.

Anyway, go and trash talk me some more while I'm gone. You're such a tough guy like that. Just like all those brave souls online bashing a dead girl. :rolleyes:

Some people are just pathetic. It seems like there are people who are actually jealous that a girl that committed suicide is getting so much attention.

Get a life people. A girl committed suicide because of bullying. The discussion should be about cyberbullying and suicide, not about whether this girl deserves to be talked about or not. Or whether there are worse things that should be talked about that trump this.

If you wanna talk about starving kids in Africa, or whether or not Amanda Todd is worthy of people feeling sorry for her. Feel free to start your own thread about that. This thread is called "RIP Amanda Todd", not "Is Amanda Todd worth talking about?"

I really don't get idiots that say things like 'why is she getting so much attention'...Why not?, if there's an ongoing issue should we just sweep it under the rug? when do we say enough is enough? it's unfortunate that she has to be the poster child of bullying but to finally put this BS to an end at some point your going to have to make enough noise that it get's through these sicko's heads. ..hence why she is getting to much 'attention'.

I really don't get idiots that say things like 'why is she getting so much attention'...Why not?, if there's an ongoing issue should we just sweep it under the rug? when do we say enough is enough? it's unfortunate that she has to be the poster child of bullying but to finally put this BS to an end at some point your going to have to make enough noise that it get's through these sicko's heads. ..hence why she is getting to much 'attention'.

I'm sorry, but the impression I'm getting from your post is that you feel "enough is enough," yourself. So I'm curious, what are you, personally, going to do to make sure this is the end of the bullying line?

Are you in a CYC program? Do you volunteer for Big Brothers? Or a local youth centre of some sort, to help out the kids that are being bullied _right now, this very minute_?

<p>I think part of the answer to "why this" story and not many others is that this young girl put it all out there like most don't. Yes, her video was part of that because it gave us a very clear look at the reality of the situation...that kids' words should be heard. She took a very bold step in documenting her pain. A reminder that, when someone IS reaching out, that warrants some attention and immediate intervention. It was an obvious cry for help before she took that last, fatal step and it chills to the bone in a very "this is real" way. There is a story behind this that can teach everyone a good lesson about the severity of bullying and how we need to step in. Hers was an ongoing story and progressed to very serious proportions...but people could have done things differently along the way. I'm not putting much (any) of that on her, because she was young and incapable of deciding - kids act on impulse but it became a moment that changed her life. The lesson in that is strong - but should come without blame. She was a kid, afterall.

It is sad that this will die down over time and just go back to normal - being where kids have to continue to fumble through feeling very alone and isolated. They make these kids the poster child for anti bullying campaigns but, after the initial hoopla, nothing much is done. I do wish schools would focus less on the promotion of anti bullying and more on the process, itself. Take more of the responsibility in it vs just advertising for it to stop.

But every step closer to helping someone is a worthwhile one...to feel it's not worth trying because the problem is too great and it's pointless is giving up on kids. You make it an open topic of discussion and each and every one of us should intervene if we see someone showing signs of needing help.

I try not to trivialize and discount my daughter's feelings of severe depression and anxiety with cheery "oh, it'll get better - you're young" statements. Kids don't think it will, so they tune that out. Sure, that can be part of the message in the big picture discussions, but they also need to hear "I understand. I feel your pain. I know you're struggling. You're not alone". Statements that identify and accept that they are hurting - not that fight against it. Without judgment or messages of how she could do things differently - that's for later down the road, after the initial crisis is over. Because that's what it is when young kids are desperate - a crisis. Too many scoff at their problems but, again, when you're young everything seems greater and so we have to remember that. I'm by no means an expert, but have plenty of experience that helps me to understand how to

I'm sorry, but the impression I'm getting from your post is that you feel "enough is enough," yourself. So I'm curious, what are you, personally, going to do to make sure this is the end of the bullying line?

Are you in a CYC program? Do you volunteer for Big Brothers? Or a local youth centre of some sort, to help out the kids that are being bullied _right now, this very minute_?

RCMP debunk rumours about Amanda Todd case

VANCOUVER -- Rumours circulating around a man accused of being involved in Amanda Todd’s suicide have Mounties and police dedicating officers to dispel online gossip.

A New Westminster address and a man’s name were released, shortly after Todd’s death last Wednesday, by a group claiming to be Internet activist collective Anonymous.

Todd, 15, killed herself after enduring years of bullying and being stalked by an unnamed online predator who friends say used different online aliases.

Apart from responding to speculation about the identified man, Mounties said investigators were distracted “for hours” dealing with a more disturbing rumour of the “supposed release of Amanda Todd’s autopsy photos.”

In a statement Tuesday, RCMP Sgt. Peter Thiessen said the allegation against the man was “unfounded” and no autopsy photos were ever leaked.

Additionally, some have put up fake fundraising pages, presumably to "profit” from Todd’s death.

“We want to urge everyone who has been touched by Amanda’s story to respect Amanda’s memory by being a responsible citizen of the Internet,” Thiessen said.

The case has gathered so much online attention that on Tuesday, New Westminster police had a patrol car camped outside the address that was published by Anonymous.

“The people that live there have nothing to do with the Amanda Todd case at all,” said New West Sgt. Diana McDaniel, adding there are no police records of the named man living in the city.

“We’re helping the residents because unfortunately they have no idea or any involvement at all in this case. I don’t know how long we’ll be there, it’ll be dependent on the situation.”

A man with a similar name as the one published by Anonymous appeared in Surrey Provincial Court Tuesday on a charge each of sexual assault and sexual interference of a person under 16.

But there are several differences, such as a different age and name spelling. The man named by Anonymous is 32-years-old, while the man in court is 19. The former appears to use a shortened version of the latter’s name, though both share the same last name.

According to CTV, the 19-year-old knew Todd, but had already talked to police.

RCMP investigated that file before the courts in early September. Crown spokesman Neil MacKenzie said the allegations are dated between Aug. 1 and Sept. 1 and are unrelated to Todd in any way.

Twitter account Anonymous New Jersey claimed responsibility for naming the man and tweeted on Tuesday, they were “off” on the man’s address and name.

“Everything I got is circumstantial,” the group tweeted later.

Anonymous’ original post identifying the man also suggested there were uncertain pieces of information, saying, “At the most this is the person who did this to Amanda Todd and at the least it’s another pedophile that enjoys taking advantage of children.”

B.C. Premier Christy Clark, speaking in Nanaimo Tuesday, said the public needs to stop reposting false information and look at everything online with a critical eye.

“It’s so easy for people to anonymously say anything they want about everyone,” she told reporters. “It can be grossly unfair and completely unproved.”

Since Todd’s death, Mounties have received thousands of tips from the public through AmandaToddInfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

Tortorella....that video was inappropriate, if nothing else, about 10 seconds in it violates the rules about offensive language. I didn't bother to watch the rest because I'm not sure it's a compassionate message and, quite frankly, your timing is way off.

People, this thread is for serious discussion and the jack assery has no place here...take it to CM noise if you must.

Tortorella....that video was inappropriate, if nothing else, about 10 seconds in it violates the rules about offensive language. I didn't bother to watch the rest because I'm not sure it's a compassionate message and, quite frankly, your timing is way off.

People, this thread is for serious discussion and the jack assery has no place here...take it to CM noise if you must.

no offense Deb, but that video has more worth than 20,000 sappy posts in a thread like this, if they're like what we've seen so far.

this idea that this thread will, maybe, be the snowflake that starts the avalanche towards change is ridiculous. sorry, nux4lyfe, your conversation is meaningless.

the amazing atheist is spot on about a whole lot of you. and that pains me to say, because i want to kick that smug blob right in the teeth, but when you're right, you're right.

kudos to the CYC students and people who volunteer, or even the "nice" people who talk to everyone in class, even the fat nerds.

for the rest of you who think contributing your own bully story is enough, get over yourself.

I watched the whole thing, and it's actually not as bad as you think.

It comes off as pretty insensitive, but at the same time he does make some good points. At the end he does challenge people to do something to make a difference instead of just pretending to care. And it's true, people get all up in arms and get all charged up, but then they don't actually do anything to help make a difference.

It would be nice for people to actually follow through with things that they speak out against is all.

no offense Deb, but that video has more worth than 20,000 sappy posts in a thread like this, if they're like what we've seen so far.

this idea that this thread will, maybe, be the snowflake that starts the avalanche towards change is ridiculous. sorry, nux4lyfe, your conversation is meaningless.

the amazing atheist is spot on about a whole lot of you. and that pains me to say, because i want to kick that smug blob right in the teeth, but when you're right, you're right.

kudos to the CYC students and people who volunteer, or even the "nice" people who talk to everyone in class, even the fat nerds.

for the rest of you who think contributing your own bully story is enough, get over yourself.

First step to stop cyber bullying is raising awareness.

Amanda Todd gives people a face to see when they think about cyber bullying. It gives people an emotional connection because of her video and her tragic end that could have been prevented.

Not everyone can go volunteer with the youth, or work with youth, but at the very least raising awareness about the dangers of bullying can contribute, albeit only a small part, to combatting it.

Archived