The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Amanda Todd

Kass9

I don't get some people. I've never been able to understand how people can just go out with the sole intentions of hurting someone, and then continue to do so even when it becomes clear that they're doing some real damage. It's like they have no morals or even a conscience.

I can't stand it. It really makes me angry.

Sadly, there are so many downright mean people in this world. You see it every day. People who hide behind their screen and either think it's funny and fun to badmouth someone else. I never understood if it's a power trip or if they themselves are severely insecure or what.

You see it everyday when you are out and about. Those of us who have ever worked with the public know how unnecessarily nasty people can be.

It breaks my heart how relentlessly this poor girl was hounded - for one stupid mistake that didn't hurt anyone but herself and her family.

So, I've said it before - one of the simplest things we can do is be respectful to each other. Smile at someone when they smile at you. Hold the door open for others. Disagree thoughtfully. Parents, raise your kids to do the same.

How many more must needlessly die...

RIP Amanda...RIP...

As far as Cyber bullying - it's alive and well - even some here on CDC do it...it's like they feel it's their right to do so...I don't understand it all...I had a cousin that was bullied when he was a teen...it changed him and his relationships with everyone else...for life...

I agree with EX_Bert_Worshipper - it begins with respect.

I disagree with those that say "respect must be earned" - it should be given freely with no strings attached.

High school is one of the most fracked up places, kids are ridiculous there they don't understand how much it effects other kids when they bully them like that. I would never do what that one guy did to her even to my most hated ex (Showing pictures to other people of her) I don't understand why someone would do that to anyone, it honestly confuses almost as much if not more than trying to figure out women in general

EDIT: RIP Amanda you looked like a nice, and pretty looking girl in the video and I hate the people who did this to you

I have some different problems from this. Firstly, she makes it very clear that she was on either Chatroulette or Omegle. She flashed on her own free will. All she had to do was press "next" and nothing would have come from this if she wasn't so desperate for attention. Her parents should have been much more involved with her internet use and habits if the daughter tended to do these things. While suicide is never the answer and I feel for their family, this whole series of events could have been prevented by using common sense or doing things that normal 7th graders (that's 12 years old, folks) would do.

I'm sorry to say, but the posters who wrote insensitive comments claiming Amanda was partly to blame clearly have no understanding of what it's like to be bullied, or to have suffered depression.

I can't really blame you, though, so don't think that I am. If you've never been there, and I mean, REALLY been there, it's hard to understand.

Depression is one of those things that you can't explain. It defies logic, and an otherwise sane person will do things that makes you scratch your head. Looking for help sure sounds easy on paper, but for a person suffering from anxiety and depression, just getting out of bed is hard enough. Trying to muster up the courage to admit to people that you have this problem? Not easy at all.

And therein truly lies the problem. It's the social stigma associated with mental disorders and issues. It's still taboo and unspeakable. For those who suffer from it, admitting you have it is admitting you're different, you're flawed, you're weak. That's what it feels like. People who suffer from these things would many times rather just end it than try and help themselves, because that's the very nature of the demon inside. It makes a person think as if there's no end in sight, and no way to escape it.

I mean, for crying out loud, she was what, 12? How many good decisions do you think a 12-year-old makes? She made some mistakes, sure, but so does everyone. The true criminal is the man who cyberstalked her and took pictures of her, and then used those pictures to blackmail her. This man is a criminal, and one of the lowest forms of scum known to man.

I hope they find the sack of crap who did it.

Sadly, there are so many downright mean people in this world. You see it every day. People who hide behind their screen and either think it's funny and fun to badmouth someone else. I never understood if it's a power trip or if they themselves are severely insecure or what.

You see it everyday when you are out and about. Those of us who have ever worked with the public know how unnecessarily nasty people can be.

It breaks my heart how relentlessly this poor girl was hounded - for one stupid mistake that didn't hurt anyone but herself and her family.

So, I've said it before - one of the simplest things we can do is be respectful to each other. Smile at someone when they smile at you. Hold the door open for others. Disagree thoughtfully. Parents, raise your kids to do the same.

Archived