#121 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

This has hit my son and family hard..
My son goes to the same school that Amanda went to. He has also been bullied very badly for the last 4 years starting in grade 6, the bullies also made a face book page ( around 3 years ago) and even used a pic from his own profile (a picture of him playing guitar) calling him a "Gay Slur" and calling on people to agree he was worthless.I only found the face book page by accident by randomly doing a search of his name. I complained to the school and provided proof of it with all the names of the students on the page
( I was able to take a screen shot before the kids could take their names off) Nothing was done...it wasn't even recorded on their school records.
As he moved to high school alot of the bullies followed as it was in the same district. (#42)
Things went from bad to worse as the made sure no one should become friends with him and made sure he was harassed even more.
At one point he was attacked in front of our own house by 15 youths. I just happened to be leaving at the same time and was able to stop and push the kids away before any real harm was done. So what do you think happened after that?

You'd be wrong in assuming that the kids were punished this time. As a matter of fact I was charged with assault because the kids all banded together to say that I randomly attacked them. Even though several had been identified as kids that had bullied my son before. One year after...almost to the day of the attack and around 7000 dollars in legal bills later the crown drops the charges.
Seems the youths, some of the kids involved are arrested for beating pepper spraying and robbing another kid that they have also targeted.

Seems they know longer believed I attacked them..

In all of this my son has gone from a happy talented musician to a lonely and sad young man who spends most of his time in his room also wishing at times.. that he could just disappear.

Where am i going with this? I have tried for years to get the school district to do something, they are quite aware of my sons and other youths problems, but say their doing everything that thy are required to do.They even suggested we sell are house and move away for the good of our son.

I asked about trying to do something for bullied kids.Maybe introduce a program into the high schools like Alberta is doing called SACSC http://www.sacsc.ca/ There it is actually part of the school curriculum.
The only thing that they seem to want to do is "Pink Shirt Day".

The time for change in our schools is now!!
How many more lives have to be lost..

Wow man, I'm so sorry. As I've been saying in the bus driver thread, kids seem a lot more out of control these days than when I was a kid. Yup, I was bullied but it was never anything even remotely close to this. And then they called assault on you? Just unbelievable. I really hope you guys get through this ok.
Posted Image

#122 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

My son goes to the same school that Amanda went to. He has also been bullied very badly for the last 4 years starting in grade 6, the bullies also made a face book page ( around 3 years ago) and even used a pic from his own profile (a picture of him playing guitar) calling him a "Gay Slur" and calling on people to agree he was worthless.I only found the face book page by accident by randomly doing a search of his name. I complained to the school and provided proof of it with all the names of the students on the page
( I was able to take a screen shot before the kids could take their names off) Nothing was done...it wasn't even recorded on their school records.
As he moved to high school alot of the bullies followed as it was in the same district. (#42)
Things went from bad to worse as the made sure no one should become friends with him and made sure he was harassed even more.
At one point he was attacked in front of our own house by 15 youths. I just happened to be leaving at the same time and was able to stop and push the kids away before any real harm was done. So what do you think happened after that?

You'd be wrong in assuming that the kids were punished this time. As a matter of fact I was charged with assault because the kids all banded together to say that I randomly attacked them. Even though several had been identified as kids that had bullied my son before. One year after...almost to the day of the attack and around 7000 dollars in legal bills later the crown drops the charges.
Seems the youths, some of the kids involved are arrested for beating pepper spraying and robbing another kid that they have also targeted.

In all of this my son has gone from a happy talented musician to a lonely and sad young man who spends most of his time in his room also wishing at times.. that he could just disappear.

Where am i going with this? I have tried for years to get the school district to do something, they are quite aware of my sons and other youths problems, but say their doing everything that thy are required to do.They even suggested we sell are house and move away for the good of our son.

I asked about trying to do something for bullied kids.Maybe introduce a program into the high schools like Alberta is doing called SACSC http://www.sacsc.ca/ There it is actually part of the school curriculum.

I seem to remember, didn't you post this about your son a few months back? Glad to hear you beat the (bogus) charges.

Edited by GodzillaDeuce, 13 October 2012 - 03:43 PM.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#123 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

I think moving is your best solution. Seems like the kids in your area are fracked in the head or something. Where do you live and what school does your son go to? It is just better to live in another neighborhood, somewhere where the kids are a bit more normal.

Posted Image

#124 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,704 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

I know this might be intrusive for the family and especially for your son, but I'm sure the media is looking for stories like this, especially after the tragedy of Amanda Todd. Have you considered piling pressure on SD42 through reporters?

The sad thing is that SD42 will probably say that this was either resolved a long time ago or that the investigation is ongoing (pure BS, in my opinion)

Just a very random thought...

#125 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I know this might be intrusive for the family and especially for your son, but I'm sure the media is looking for stories like this, especially after the tragedy of Amanda Todd. Have you considered piling pressure on SD42 through reporters?

The sad thing is that SD42 will probably say that this was either resolved a long time ago or that the investigation is ongoing (pure BS, in my opinion)

Not a bad suggestion at all.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#126 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

LOL you're joking right? I told a guy who was talking smack and saying he'd help her kill herself by shooting her in the head, to kill himself. yes, I am a bully. Bahahahahahaha. That is one of the kinds of peiople that should off themselves, not innocent people.

Am just saying that what you said doesn't really do anything. In fact, the guy probably got what he wanted, attention. There are sadistic people out there who do things to get a reaction.

Posted Image

#127 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,300 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Oh great some ignorant fool blaming the victim. In your own words you compare an adult's actions with that of a 14 year old girl. There is a reason why our criminal justice system does not hold youth accountable to the same level of adults. Even if she made poor choices she did not deserve to be bullied or tormented either online or at school.

I was only commenting on the fight which happened. How is she the victim in that case? She slept with another girls boyfriend. The girl found out and kicked her ass. People watched. She brought that particular incident on herself.

#128 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Good call!
Posted Image

#129 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I was only commenting on the fight which happened. How is she the victim in that case? She slept with another girls boyfriend. The girl found out and kicked her ass. People watched. She brought that particular incident on herself.

Please, do yourself a favour and stop digging the stupid hole any deeper for yourself.

The ass that ought to have been kicked ought to have been the cheating boyfriend's, since he made a commitment to the girl, not Amanda.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#130 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Not condoning what happened, but the reason the fight happened is because she slept with another girls boyfriend. Same thing would happen with adults at a pub if the same situation happened.

really? She should know better not to sleep with a guy who has a girlfriend.

Yeah, cause the guy probably didn't manipulate her/into thinking he was gonna dump his g/f soon, nope, that never happens.Just curious, did he also get a severe beat down after he did that to his precious g/f?
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#131 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'm afraid to say whats actually on my mind, because I know I'll get chewed out by all the "righteous minds" hanging out on the internet. (Whether it be social media, comment boards on news sites, or even here on CDC)

So I'll leave it at:

RIP Amanda.

/=S=/

#132 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,300 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Please, do yourself a favour and stop digging the stupid hole any deeper for yourself.

The ass that ought to have been kicked ought to have been the cheating boyfriend's, since he made a commitment to the girl, not Amanda.

So she should be able to have sex with any girls boyfriends she wants with no repercussions? Got it. Way to absolve her from any responsibility for her actions. The media has done a wonderful job of painting her into being the perfect little victim who did absolutely nothing wrong.

I'm sure if she was still alive people would have a different opinion about the incident of her sleeping with another girls boyfriend.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 13 October 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#133 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

The court of public opinion can often provide more influence than the courts themselves. This would be an opportunity to use social media for good and exert more pressure upon SD42 (and the province) by demanding measures be taken to address all forms of bullying.

#134 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

The court of public opinion can often provide more influence than the courts themselves. This would be an opportunity to use social media for good and exert more pressure upon SD42 (and the province) by demanding measures be taken to address all forms of bullying.

Kind of how the court of public opinion has provided more influence on her "good girl" side? The way people have used social media to exploit her death? Somebody on Tumblr went on a rant (albeit, a slightly idiotic rant) but this is what stood out to me:

"What kind of message does it send to impressionable teens that if you go ahead and kill yourself that you will get thousands of likes on a Facebook page and everyone will feel sorry for you and give you attention?".

That, to me, is the message that has been provided. I have a friend who is suffering from depression, and he told me, because of this incident, that he "could kill himself and people would notice him for a change".

It's a terrible tragedy, and no one deserves what this girl went through. But in saying that, I have to look at the realistic side of things.

/=S=/

#135 Beer-League-Goalie

Beer-League-Goalie

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

I seem to remember, didn't you post this about your son a few months back? Glad to hear you beat the (bogus) charges.

Yes you are correct I beat the bad rap, but the emotional and financial toll that has resulted has almost torn my family apart.
Not to mention we almost lost our house and are still in danger of it.

You can bet that the little A-holes that did this won't be losing any sleep over it though.

#136 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

What I don't understand is that she said she had no friends, no one liked her and that she was completely alone... what about her bf? The admin of the RIP Amanda Todd fb group has posted quite a few pictures of her and her boyfriend. I understand that you can feel alone even if you're in a room full of people but it makes her situation a little bit confusing to understand.

Posted Image

#137 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

Kind of how the court of public opinion has provided more influence on her "good girl" side? The way people have used social media to exploit her death? Somebody on Tumblr went on a rant (albeit, a slightly idiotic rant) but this is what stood out to me:

"What kind of message does it send to impressionable teens that if you go ahead and kill yourself that you will get thousands of likes on a Facebook page and everyone will feel sorry for you and give you attention?".

That, to me, is the message that has been provided. I have a friend who is suffering from depression, and he told me, because of this incident, that he "could kill himself and people would notice him for a change".

It's a terrible tragedy, and no one deserves what this girl went through. But in saying that, I have to look at the realistic side of things.

I can't disagree with that observation because I see that as well. However, a lack of action will always result in a lack of change. If people want school districts to take bullying seriously and the districts aren't willing to do it on their own, I don't see any other alternative to getting them to change short of government legislation.

#138 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Yes you are correct I beat the bad rap, but the emotional and financial toll that has resulted has almost torn my family apart.
Not to mention we almost lost our house and are still in danger of it.

You can bet that the little A-holes that did this won't be losing any sleep over it though.

well best of luck to you and yours moving ahead and putting all this behind you

if you guys do happen to move, watch the cyber bullying.

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#139 Beer-League-Goalie

Beer-League-Goalie

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Oh believe me I have tried to make a change. I went on a national talk radio show about 5 times (CKNW weekend thing) after my son wrote a letter to a talk show host after he listened to a story, about a boy who was also being bullied. The boy had wrote a poem called "I Am Just A Boy", that he really identified with. He wrote the host about what had happened to us and we were asked to come on.

The only problem was in order to protect the identities of youths involved ( Yes their rights! Not ours!) my son and I had to go under different names.I was only able to say that we were in B.C.for legal reasons they said...

I hated that.

The School new we were going on the show but said they did everything the were required to do, and they have done very little since.

As long as the other kids rights were being protected the had little worry about people finding out it was school district #42.

#140 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,781 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Kids trying to find their way do stupid things in pursuit of acceptance and affirmation. Sure, it's easy to blame her but those things that she did were just leading her to where she is now and they're tragic much more than they are worthy of blame. Society's led us here - the need to fit in, to be perfect, is a strong pull for young girls. They're bombarded with images and messages that set the bar (unrealistically high). Sure, alongside those are also the positive ones, but they get swallowed up with the campaign to be model hot. Low self esteem is a slow drag to destruction if it isn't addressed. If there isn't anyone there, helping to keep things in check, kids have to navigate through it alone.

Some girls choose controlling boyfriends who define who they are. Some will try to please others even if they sacrifice themselves in doing so. I just wish they could see it through the eyes of an old lady like me whose was in an abusive, controlling relationship for half my lifetime....once you break free and start to love yourself, there's no turning back. But it's a painful road that gets you there, to that dark place, and not everyone makes it back unscathed. Or even alive.

Immaturity makes everything seem so amplified and dramatic...if only these young people knew that this stuff that seems life altering is but a blip on the radar of their lives. That's not to trivialize things - bullying is significant and has a lasting impact. But if kids could only realize that most of the people and events of their youth won't even be a factor 10 years down the road...that everyone grows up and moves on and the memories all fade.

This girl sounds like she was desperate to find her place in this world. People have called her an attention monger, etc. but that, in itself, is often a cry for help. Kids who feel alienated and isolated do go to extremes at times but if we look behind that, it's tragic more than it's something to sneer at. If we could all replace judgment and criticism with empathy and understanding the world would be a much friendlier place.

This story hurt my heart. My own daughter has struggled for some time, so I feel this one very deeply....

Posted Image

#141 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Seems unlikely, but I hope this does happen. The disrespect and indecency coming from some people is disgusting yet not surprising:

RCMP & Amanda Todd family plea for ppl to stop posting hateful messages to RIP social media pages. Posters could face charges/legal action.
Posted Image

#142 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

So she should be able to have sex with any girls boyfriends she wants with no repercussions? Got it. Way to absolve her from any responsibility for her actions. The media has done a wonderful job of painting her into being the perfect little victim who did absolutely nothing wrong.

I'm sure if she was still alive people would have a different opinion about the incident of her sleeping with another girls boyfriend.

What in the hell are you on about? No, Amanda did not deserve a beat down for anything. Not sure what the rules are in your world, but she cheated on no one. It was the boyfriend that cheated on his girlfriend, so the only one that deserved any reprecussions is him if some kind of justice is neccesary.

It's thinking like this that lead to the BS term "homewrecker" The thinking that some innocent men are lured away from their familiy obligations because some horrible succubus got her talons into him. That is utter crap, it's easy not to cheat and if you do, the only guilt to be allocated is to yourself. Amanda was a single girl and could be with whom she chose, it was the guys responsibility to not cheat. The end.

Edited by TimberWolf, 13 October 2012 - 05:01 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#143 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Seems unlikely, but I hope this does happen. The disrespect and indecency coming from some people is disgusting yet not surprising:

RCMP & Amanda Todd family plea for ppl to stop posting hateful messages to RIP social media pages. Posters could face charges/legal action.

Even if it's just token charges, it would be nice to let some people know that you are indeed responsible for what you post online. I have no problems with my tax dollars spent ousting these fools.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#144 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

As long as the other kids rights were being protected the had little worry about people finding out it was school district #42.

*sigh* This is just another example of perpetrators having more rights than victims. It's sad to think how many incidents of prolonged bullying are allowed to persist for this reason.

#145 BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Even if it's just token charges, it would be nice to let some people know that you are indeed responsible for what you post online. I have no problems with my tax dollars spent ousting these fools.

Absolutely. Just like we've been waiting for people to be held accountable for their participation in the Vancouver riots, people should be held accountable for things they post online like libel, death threats, etc.

#146 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,781 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Should add that I haven't had time to read them all, but I see that there are some really heartfelt posts here...when time allows, I plan on replying to a few.

I've mostly directed my thoughts towards girls who are bullied, but boys have their own issues to contend with. Boys are often taught to "suck it up" and "be a man", meaning they try to deal with bullying on their own, without sharing it with anyone. It's just as tough for a boy to make it through adolescence as it is for girls - moreso at times. My own son was the youngest in a split 5, 6, 7 class (Yep, about 50 kids and one teacher in a double deep classroom with little-no supervision) - the bullying in that class room was out of control. I didn't even know until my daughter told me...but it was making my son physically sick and avoiding school. So it's just as significant for boys.

This comment really bugged me:

Last time I checked, ownership of another person isn't allowed and "another girl's boyfriend" isn't property. He has a brain. He was part of that decision. And who is judge/jury here, handing down the sentences? These are young kids and, honestly, none of them are likely mature enough to handle the issues surrounding sex - which is evidently clear in the events that played out.

But it isn't right to suggest that someone deserves to be beat, bullied, etc. for any decision they make. Those just aren't the answers.

Posted Image

#147 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

These kind of people deserved to be curb stomped, im serious
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#148 Beer-League-Goalie

Beer-League-Goalie

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Absolutely. Just like we've been waiting for people to be held accountable for their participation in the Vancouver riots, people should be held accountable for things they post online like libel, death threats, etc.

I hope that they do, if they had done that when those bullies created a face book hate page about my son things might have gone very differently for him.

#149 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Wow. The torment this girl is getting even after her suicide is BEYOND DISGUSTING.

Some of the things these pricks are saying makes me want to vomit.

"She flashed, felt repercussions, her own fault."

SHE WAS ???? 12. Why the hell was she allowed on a webcam by herself? She was a kid who made a stupid decision. She was probably going through her life everyday thinking it was her fault too. ***holes

"She took the easy way out. No remorse from me. That's what's wrong with society today. Life's hard, deal with it."

You guys on the internet are such tough badasses for saying this. No doubt you're all god damned John Waynes and Clint Eastwoods who grew up in the wild west not giving a crap about anything. Nobody ever helped you when you made a mistake. Everyone's too soft now-a-days, amiright?

The most disgusting comments are the ones that talk about natural selection. One person said it, fine. He's an ***hole. But there are way to many people saying this. Do they think they're funny? I guarantee these people are just greasy pimply internet nerds and probably know nothing about Darwin. Just a couple more of those badasses who think they can make jokes like that because one of their facebooks likes has the word science in it (even though it's just a bunch of pictures of nebulas and stuff blowing up).

Vomit. frack you society.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#150 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

That'll bring a backlash of people quoting "freedom of speech! freedom of speech!"

Would be nice to see though, for sure.

/=S=/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.