The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] (Poll Added) Early returns on the maturation, transformation of Kassian with Wolves encouraging

JohnLocke

Would you do the Hodgson Kassian trade again?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So in the article it says don't compare Kassian and Hodgson because they are two different players...

Then OP decides it's a good idea to start a poll on who will be better...?

:bigblush:

Exactly my point; Morrison is a poor comparison. But, it was Hodgson, not Tavares who was the two way centre at the WJC's. He gets exposed cuz he does not have the speed to forecheck, but is generally defensively accountable position and instinct wise; for example also patrols passing lanes to steal pucks pretty well. Like with most who don't count amongst the physically gifted (which Morrison was with speed) it's about who he is complimented with.

Talk about Kassian as a two way player?

A few other differences - aside from having a step on Hodgson (in the first four steps - and then another step in the next four, and so on), Morrison was also a legitimate two way center, cut from the mold of the New Jersey Devils. When he was acquired he was equally touted for his ability to play in his own end and the full length of the ice, as was his offensive upside. In Vancouver, it was Morrison who carried the defensive weight on the WCE - Bertuzzi, as much as I love the guy, camped at the blueline waiting for an outlet pass, and Naslund was no Selke candidate. That was the weakness of that line, because as good as they were, and adept as Morrison was defensively, he wasn't the biggest center. When a team with decent sized forwards decided to forecheck hard, that line got pinned in their own end on a regular basis.

If you look at the WCE numbers, Morrison (who was a significant + player over his career) for example, was a -1 in 2005/6, while his linemates Naslund and Bertuzzi were -19 and -17. In 2002/3, Morrison was +18 while Naslund and Bert were +6 and +2. 2000/1, Morrison +2, Bert -18, Naslund -2. There were a few years where they were all significant + players, collectively dominant, but I think when they weren't dominant, it was fairly clear which guy was the two way player, and the evidence seems to point to that.

Anyhow, conversely, Hodgson is the opposite of Morrison in that sense - he is a weak player in his own end of the ice - he's not unfairly maligned for that - he hasn't put his work boots on yet at the NHL level - Higgins and Hansen subsidized his soft defensive play. In Buffalo, that weakness in his game was exposed in short order - he stood out in a big way and it wasn't positive. He may have more pure offensive talent than Morrison, but he has got a whole lot of work to do to be the two way player that Morrison was. Very different players.

Poor poll.

How about Hodgson's ceiling is higher but Kassian is a better fit for the team? That is where I would put my vote, but can't really pick one of these.

Go outside CDC and you would get almost universal support for that option.

What do you expect.. the thread was made by stamkos' mullet..

Personally I think hodgson is a tool, weak, defensively retarded. And it makes me sick how some CDC'rs have latched onto him like some supermodel that decided to go on a pity date with a nerd.

Exactly my point; Morrison is a poor comparison. But, it was Hodgson, not Tavares who was the two way centre at the WJC's. He gets exposed cuz he does not have the speed to forecheck, but is generally defensively accountable position and instinct wise; for example also patrols passing lanes to steal pucks pretty well. Like with most who don't count amongst the physically gifted (which Morrison was with speed) it's about who he is complimented with.

Talk about Kassian as a two way player?

Archived