Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Article] (Poll Added) Early returns on the maturation, transformation of Kassian with Wolves encouraging

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you do the Hodgson Kassian trade again?

Would you do the Hodgson Kassian trade again?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Enormous hit and an awesome assist in today's game. His line looked very good.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#62 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,598 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Enormous hit and an awesome assist in today's game. His line looked very good.

Yep - nice assist - Leddy couldn't handle him on the boards...

#63 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

With Gaunce, Jensen, K-Con, Lack...Kassian seems as the better fit. My opinion.

/=S=/

#64 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

I could see him on the second line in January

Sasuke_Signature_by_robstylz.png

the_man_on_the_moon___paul_pogba_by_yupp

#65 Guest_Dasein_*

Guest_Dasein_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

So in the article it says don't compare Kassian and Hodgson because they are two different players...

Then OP decides it's a good idea to start a poll on who will be better...?

:bigblush:

#66 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, the poll was a cheezy addition.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#67 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,598 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Saw the game broadcast on SN last night. Goals, hits, fights, shootout winner the night before, and lots of jump in his step with the leaner frame. Sportsnet staff couldn't stop raving about him.

Mallet also showing why the Canucks wanted him.

#68 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Exactly my point; Morrison is a poor comparison. But, it was Hodgson, not Tavares who was the two way centre at the WJC's. He gets exposed cuz he does not have the speed to forecheck, but is generally defensively accountable position and instinct wise; for example also patrols passing lanes to steal pucks pretty well. Like with most who don't count amongst the physically gifted (which Morrison was with speed) it's about who he is complimented with.

Talk about Kassian as a two way player?

A few other differences - aside from having a step on Hodgson (in the first four steps - and then another step in the next four, and so on), Morrison was also a legitimate two way center, cut from the mold of the New Jersey Devils. When he was acquired he was equally touted for his ability to play in his own end and the full length of the ice, as was his offensive upside. In Vancouver, it was Morrison who carried the defensive weight on the WCE - Bertuzzi, as much as I love the guy, camped at the blueline waiting for an outlet pass, and Naslund was no Selke candidate. That was the weakness of that line, because as good as they were, and adept as Morrison was defensively, he wasn't the biggest center. When a team with decent sized forwards decided to forecheck hard, that line got pinned in their own end on a regular basis.

If you look at the WCE numbers, Morrison (who was a significant + player over his career) for example, was a -1 in 2005/6, while his linemates Naslund and Bertuzzi were -19 and -17. In 2002/3, Morrison was +18 while Naslund and Bert were +6 and +2. 2000/1, Morrison +2, Bert -18, Naslund -2. There were a few years where they were all significant + players, collectively dominant, but I think when they weren't dominant, it was fairly clear which guy was the two way player, and the evidence seems to point to that.
Anyhow, conversely, Hodgson is the opposite of Morrison in that sense - he is a weak player in his own end of the ice - he's not unfairly maligned for that - he hasn't put his work boots on yet at the NHL level - Higgins and Hansen subsidized his soft defensive play. In Buffalo, that weakness in his game was exposed in short order - he stood out in a big way and it wasn't positive. He may have more pure offensive talent than Morrison, but he has got a whole lot of work to do to be the two way player that Morrison was. Very different players.

#69 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,397 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Poor poll.

How about Hodgson's ceiling is higher but Kassian is a better fit for the team? That is where I would put my vote, but can't really pick one of these.

Go outside CDC and you would get almost universal support for that option.

#70 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Poor poll.

How about Hodgson's ceiling is higher but Kassian is a better fit for the team? That is where I would put my vote, but can't really pick one of these.

What do you expect.. the thread was made by stamkos' mullet..

Personally I think hodgson is a tool, weak, defensively retarded. And it makes me sick how some CDC'rs have latched onto him like some supermodel that decided to go on a pity date with a nerd.

Posted Image

#71 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,598 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

look at his relative corsi stats from last year and compare them to Hodgson.

Kassian +1.8 52.8% off zone starts
Hodgson -6.8 52.3 off zone starts

Hodsgon's linemates:

Higgins was +2.2 with only 46.6% off zone starts
Hansen was -5.2 with only 40.4% off zone starts

Only guys like Paulsson, Lapierre, Malhotra had a lesser off zone starts than Hansen and yet Hodgson, who was clearly quite sheltered relative to his linemates, had worse relative corsi stats - despite those sheltered situations. A player with 50+% offensive zone starts should be in the +, particularly considering their coach is probably in addition seeking to give them favourable line/defense pairing matchups, especially after stoppages in the opposition end of the ice.
Guys like Hansen and Higgins can be expected to post - numbers - but both of them have quite favourable numbers considering the context of their usage. Given that fact, it is additionally indicative of Hodgson's poor two way play, that even with those linemates and sheltered minutes, he managed a -6.8.

Pretty clear indication why he got the results he did when he went to Buffalo and got the minutes he hadn't really earned at the NHL level. Exposed. Consistent minus player. Enough so that I believe when Darcy Regehr publicly made the comments that he was "still looking for the right centerman" - there might have been an element of wake up call there. He then added three - drafted a pair in the first round, Grigorenko and Girgensons - and acquired Ott.

Edited by oldnews, 22 October 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#72 JohnLocke

JohnLocke

Cnakcus Ruegalr

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

What do you expect.. the thread was made by stamkos' mullet..

Personally I think hodgson is a tool, weak, defensively retarded. And it makes me sick how some CDC'rs have latched onto him like some supermodel that decided to go on a pity date with a nerd.

Umm check the OP again...

Haha yeah I agree the poll might not be the best. No one is forcing you to vote.

I am a huge kassian supporter. I've been following every single game he's played so far in the ahl.

That being said, your description of hodgson is really ignorant. It sounds like a child who wants a toy but after his friend gets the same toy, says the toy is stupid.

There's nothing that shows you're biased against a player like calling him a "tool" and "retarded? defensively"

I still would have kassian over hodgson but there's no point to be ripping into hodgson just because he's not on our team anymore.

jack-shephard_79434_14.jpg?cache=1292832

#73 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 20,598 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Exactly my point; Morrison is a poor comparison. But, it was Hodgson, not Tavares who was the two way centre at the WJC's. He gets exposed cuz he does not have the speed to forecheck, but is generally defensively accountable position and instinct wise; for example also patrols passing lanes to steal pucks pretty well. Like with most who don't count amongst the physically gifted (which Morrison was with speed) it's about who he is complimented with.

Exactly your point?
Your point sounded like it was more along the lines of Hodgson having more offensive upside than Morrison.
My point was not merely that Morrison had more speed - if you read the last few lines, I am very clearly arguing that Hodgson does not have the defensive instincts that Morrison did. Put Hodgson on Team Canada with a blueline that outshines the rest of the world and team-mates that only a couple teams in the world can realistically compete with and he won't get exposed. Likewise in Vancouver with Hansen and Higgins. I watched him playing for Buffalo. I think you are giving him way too much credit for his play without the puck. He has great skills with the puck on his stick, but defensively, he's not only slow - he lacks grit, he floats instead of skates (he plays like he is point-hunting but indifferent in his own end), he is soft in the face-off circle, and he looked downright out of place in the NHL. I'm not surprised there was tension between him and AV - AV demands that players backcheck. Expectation #1. Not too much to ask of an NHL player really. Fail to do that and he's not going to reward you with Kesler's ice time...He cherry picked situations for Hodgson's success - because using a player to suit his strengths is what a good coach does. When he went to Buffalo, he got his 20+ minutes in all situations and it was pretty clear that he wasn't ready for a lot of them - was clearly and obviously exposed in his end of the ice repeatedly - and does not have the balance to his game, certainly not yet, that it takes to be used that way.

Edited by oldnews, 22 October 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#74 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Poor poll.

His ceilling is higher? In which department exactly? Are you reffering to his overall ceiling, or points maybe?

#75 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

LP

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.