The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] (Poll Added) Early returns on the maturation, transformation of Kassian with Wolves encouraging

JohnLocke

Would you do the Hodgson Kassian trade again?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Going backwards;

4) We did know with Tanev, yes Schroeder encouraging...

3) Yeah I agree, stupid press and comparison's to CoHo can't help, a season in the AHL playing top minutes and situations should be very positive!

2) Hey, why not add our own comparison to CoHo :huh: ? Making yourself look a tad hypocritical there...And what does it say that last year he was not in shape? Me; I'm encouraged he took all as a kick in the arse and is on track again. A leader it does not make. But i'll bite and add my comparison. They're different players. Size and speed, while talented enough to keep up means we have a tool in our toolbox to win critical physical battles. But think David Booth who can fight, not Cam Neely. Having both on our team starts to mean something important! But Kass is shaping up as a better passer than David. Better top end than CoHo? Possible but doubtful. CoHo led the WJC's in scoring as a 2knd liner, Kass? Bottom line is if we use him (and Booth) properly, we have a pair of 217 lb wingers with world class speed who can scream up the ice, punish and win puck battles. Pop the puck out of the corner and pin your man in and we also have some special puck talent and snipers to pounce off the efforts. That is how we can win a CoHo trade. (But CoHo himself has higher top end potential, don't kid yourself).

1) Yeah Arniel can be a positive influence. See Edler, Hansen, Rypien, notably Tanev... Schroeder seemed to benefit from a year away from Scotty (with MacT)? What I remember; 2 years ago, especially when EVERY D seemed to get hurt down the stretch everyone seemed to fit seamlessly into our system when called up. Cuz Arniel had them playing our system on the farm to perfection...

A number of great things about this article.

1. Arniel, we know this guy is great with kids. While he had a rough go of it with CBJ, which is tough for him, for us and the nucks org it was the best thing ever. This guy is better in the AHL as an important piece of an NHL organization. They should pay him close to the same as the NHL and keep this guy as their 'developer' forever. He is positive, works with the kids, and it will show in time.

2. Kassian showed the committment in the offseason, dropped some weight, leaned up, says a TON about him as a hockey player, how bad he wants it, and as a LEADER, the latter is what I like the most. He has a temper, size, skill and speed. If Arniel can work with him to bring consistency, something every young player struggles with, perhaps we got Cam Neely back for a diminutive Center...stranger things folks. I do think he has a much higher end than CoHo ever did, question is do we does he get there, and from what he has shown so far, he is on the right track.

3. The lockout will not only benefit him from allowing him more time to develop, it will allow him to do so quietly without all the stupid press of Kass vs Coho questions, only helps the confidence, along with playing top line minutes.

4. Love what we already knew about Tanev, and Schroeder sounds ready too....

This is terrific news, makes you excited about the team again, and Cody Who?

Savard is not a bad comparison for potential? But with a much deadlier shot. And reminding all, it's still potential not reality.

FTR, the difference separating Savard and Henrik; ironman capacity and Daniel

Coho maybe better to suggest his upside is that of a Marc Savard? Probably a better example. A very good player but not in that echelon.

Are you on crack? Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier are no where close to as skilled as Kassian. Firstly, he is the only one of the three to play in the world juniors, the other two never got there, that's a pretty good guage right there. Second, he spent more time in the box in junior vs. the other two which limited his pt totals. But from a pure talent perspective, there is a significant difference in the hands and speed and mobility vs the other two.

Pyatt is a plumber, he has hands of stone, good on the boards and in a checking role. Has a decent shot but certainly not good at creating oppty's and is an up and down winger. Not mobile doesn't see the ice, doesn't hit. Bernier is pretty much the same but doesn't have the shot, is a decent hitter and fourth liner.

Zack has top two line skill and has the ability to be a 50-60 pt player in the NHL minimum. I actually beleive this kid is going to be the next captain of the Canucks and will hit 30-35 goals on a consistent basis as he starts maturing at 25 or so (depending on who is center is, and the composition of the team/ are we still competiive).

Pyatt and Bernier were both 1st round picks; Pyatt being a top 10. It is very hard to predict how these bigger boys will end up. Kassian has shown very little to date and has a ways to go to make more than 4th line on the 'Nucks. You can talk all you want about the world juniors. Coho played a lot better than Zack, but that doesn't necessarliy mean that he will be the better NHL player. I will wait patiently to see if Zack can even up the questionable trade with Buffalo.

Pyatt and Bernier were both 1st round picks; Pyatt being a top 10. It is very hard to predict how these bigger boys will end up. Kassian has shown very little to date and has a ways to go to make more than 4th line on the 'Nucks. You can talk all you want about the world juniors. Coho played a lot better than Zack, but that doesn't necessarliy mean that he will be the better NHL player. I will wait patiently to see if Zack can even up the questionable trade with Buffalo.

My biggest reason for optimism is that Kassian had 0.5 GPG in the AHL at an age when Hodgson did nothing comparable and was supposedly healthy. He fills a position/role that is much more needed at present. The trade was also sensible because Schroeder is Hodgson with speed. The latter has a better slapper but Jordan's wrister is wickedly fast and accurate (notable in camp last year). Neither brings a physical element worth mentioning so the size difference is almost a mute point. Will see how the little guy does along the boards, but I'm not sure he can do worse than Cody. Maybe better since he has no injury history to be concerned about and be less guarded in one-on-one battles.

The whole thing was simply drafting the best player available (deemed at the time) and trading value for value to fill a positional need. All is as it should be. Give it 3-5 years for final evaluation.

If someone asked if we'd be happy with Chris Drury as a ceiling for Hodgson when he was drafted; I would have taken it.

- Hobey Baker Award winner

- Calder Trophy for rookie of the year

- Captain for both NYR and Buffalo

- Stanley Cup Champ!

By memory, he was amongst the most sought after free agents in the league about the time we drafted CoHo.

If Kassian can have any of these successes I also would be happy. I wish both of them a little less of a crash landing for the end of their careers.

The thing is Kassian is a vastly superior skater to Pyatt and Bernier. Also comes with an ability to create alot of space with his toughness. Kassian's ability to score at the NHL level will determine his ceiling.

The problem with comparables is you could say Hodgson looks alot like a young (hall of famer) Marcel Dionne or Draft day comparison Chris Drury. Big difference between one of the greatest scorers of all time and a solid 30 goal scorer.

Time will tell.

Partly correct; no doubt Tavares's size and speed with comparable (?) talents sets him substantially ahead of Hodgson.

I remain of the belief Morrison is a poor comparison. Morrison's best season was 71 points and 25 goals playing with an electric goal scorer and no worse than the worlds second best power forward of his day. Yeah I can see the game instincts comparison (in spite of the speed difference, it's why I say CoHo's defensive reputation is overly maligned). But Morrison never had the same ability to handle the puck, nor instinctive scoring and passing abilities. He was never the guy who controlled the play, which is the magic in Hodgsons potential.

Debatably, Hodgson would have matched that 25 goal season as a rookie had he stayed with the Canucks? Certainly Morrison did not have that wicked shot, which also separates Hodgson from most comparable playmakers.

Ive been saying this since I saw him at the world juniors in 2009.

He was very good , but only under direct circumstances while Tavares was clearly a step faster.

When he came to Vancouver I realized he was in fact very much like Brendan Morrisonwith a better shot but a step slower. The hockey sense and temperament is roughly equal.

If Cody goes on to several 20 plus goal seasons I will be satisfied he was as good as Morrison.

Partly correct; no doubt Tavares's size and speed with comparable (?) talents sets him substantially ahead of Hodgson.

I remain of the belief Morrison is a poor comparison. Morrison's best season was 71 points and 25 goals playing with an electric goal scorer and no worse than the worlds second best power forward of his day. Yeah I can see the game instincts comparison (in spite of the speed difference, it's why I say CoHo's defensive reputation is overly maligned). But Morrison never had the same ability to handle the puck, nor instinctive scoring and passing abilities. He was never the guy who controlled the play, which is the magic in Hodgsons potential.

Debatably, Hodgson would have matched that 25 goal season as a rookie had he stayed with the Canucks? Certainly Morrison did not have that wicked shot, which also separates Hodgson from most comparable playmakers.

Atleast the article said he had a strong net presence and very good hand eye (Bertuzzi anyone?)

He had good success in the AHL last season, I figure it's going to take atleast a dozen games before he gets used to playing with less size and more speed.

Once he does though, watch out!

Archived