Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Qur'an-Burning Pastor Terry Jones Denied Entry To Canada

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#61 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

I think everyone is missing the fact that he was not denied entry because he burned the Qur'an but rather because he was arrested and could not prove that all the charges were dropped.

That is Canadian policy if you have been arrested and there are charges against you or have been convicted of a crime you must apply for a special acceptance to come to Canada.

The border guards only have the info about the arrest that they get from the country of origin. If it doesn't state the charges were completely dropped then anyone would be denied entry regardless of if they burned a holy text or not.

My guess is if he had of done his homework to check on his own eligibilty for entrance into Canada they would have warned him about the potential for his prior arrest to hold him at the border. They would probably have also advised to carry with him the documentation to show that the charges for the arrest were dropped. If he had of done that I bet he would have been allowed into Canada within 5 - 10 minutes.

This is not a matter of "freedom of speech" rather the fact that Canada does not want other country's criminals coming here.

I enjoyed reading this post. +1
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#62 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I think everyone is missing the fact that he was not denied entry because he burned the Qur'an but rather because he was arrested and could not prove that all the charges were dropped.

That is Canadian policy if you have been arrested and there are charges against you or have been convicted of a crime you must apply for a special acceptance to come to Canada.

The border guards only have the info about the arrest that they get from the country of origin. If it doesn't state the charges were completely dropped then anyone would be denied entry regardless of if they burned a holy text or not.

My guess is if he had of done his homework to check on his own eligibilty for entrance into Canada they would have warned him about the potential for his prior arrest to hold him at the border. They would probably have also advised to carry with him the documentation to show that the charges for the arrest were dropped. If he had of done that I bet he would have been allowed into Canada within 5 - 10 minutes.

This is not a matter of "freedom of speech" rather the fact that Canada does not want other country's criminals coming here.

See post #10 ;)

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Sig too big, images removed. - SN

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#63 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,333 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

See post #10 ;)

Ok I will rephrase my post:

I think everyone (Except DarthNinja_S19Blade) is missing the fact that he was not denied entry because he burned the Qur'an but rather because he was arrested and could not prove that all the charges were dropped.

Better? ;) Lol
Posted Image

#64 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

I think everyone (Except DarthNinja_S19Blade) is missing the fact that he was not denied entry because he burned the Qur'an but rather because he was arrested and could not prove that all the charges were dropped.

Better? ;) Lol

My astuteness, perceptiveness and ego have all been duly satisfied! :lol:

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Sig too big, images removed. - SN

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#65 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Better? ;) Lol

There was an insinuation in the OP that this was a loophole/ploy being used by the border to deny him entry into Canada in which case the freedom of speech discussion is still valid.
Posted Image

#66 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,333 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

There was an insinuation in the OP that this was a loophole/ploy being used by the border to deny him entry into Canada in which case the freedom of speech discussion is still valid.

Having a prior arrest record is not a loophole, regardless of the circumstance. The person writing the article is either looking for something that isn't there or the pastor is looking for more publicity. The fact is if you have a prior arrest, no matter who you are, you cannot enter Canada. That is not a loophole, that is the law. Therefore the freedom of speech discussion is not valid.

Get arrested here and before your court date try to go to the US, see if they allow you entry. If they don't is that a loophole because they don't like you?

The bottom line is YOU CANNOT ENTER CANADA WITH A PRIOR ARREST ON YOUR RECORD unless you can show the charges were dropped or you apply for a special permit to enter Canada (which I believe must be done before you get to the border.)

NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH VIOLATIONS TO SEE HERE FOLKS!!! PLEASE MOVE ALONG!!!!
Posted Image

#67 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Having a prior arrest record is not a loophole, regardless of the circumstance. The person writing the article is either looking for something that isn't there or the pastor is looking for more publicity. The fact is if you have a prior arrest, no matter who you are, you cannot enter Canada. That is not a loophole, that is the law. Therefore the freedom of speech discussion is not valid.

Get arrested here and before your court date try to go to the US, see if they allow you entry. If they don't is that a loophole because they don't like you?

The bottom line is YOU CANNOT ENTER CANADA WITH A PRIOR ARREST ON YOUR RECORD unless you can show the charges were dropped or you apply for a special permit to enter Canada (which I believe must be done before you get to the border.)

NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH VIOLATIONS TO SEE HERE FOLKS!!! PLEASE MOVE ALONG!!!!

Why are you yelling? Did you miss the part where he was acquitted of both charges. They said Jones didn't follow the appropriate protocol and he suggests that he did. If he was unjustly denied entry because of his prior deplorable, yet perfectly legal, conduct would that be an infringement of his rights? That is point of the OP, discuss it or not.
Posted Image

#68 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,333 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Why are you yelling? Did you miss the part where he was acquitted of both charges. They said Jones didn't follow the appropriate protocol and he suggests that he did. If he was unjustly denied entry because of his prior deplorable, yet perfectly legal, conduct would that be an infringement of his rights? That is point of the OP, discuss it or not.

Did you miss the part where he DID NOT have proof that he was aquitted of both charges? :picard:

So Jones is an expert on Canadian border protocol?

I'm sorry I didn't realize In between Qu'ran burnings his past time is to study Canadian border security policies and protocols. :rolleyes:

Any reason he is denied entry into Canada does not infringe on any rights anyways.

1. He is not a Canadian Citizen

2. He has a less than sparkling past with a record of arrests (Charges dropped or not).

No where in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does it outline the rights of people trying to enter Canada.

The onius is not on Canada to check to see if the charges were dropped that responsibility falls squarely to him, which he did not, would not, or could not do.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.