The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bus Driver Uppercuts Young Woman.

VoiceOfReason_

Both these posts seem to clearly indicate a need for BETTER PARENTING, not physical punishment.

Particularly your example Jester...where do you think that bully child learned his negative, physical behaviour from? I'm glad that the child stopped bullying other kids but would it not be better if he'd not learned to start doing it in the first place from his own parents?

People learn because of consequences. You put your hand on a burner and you quickly learn not to do it again.

I certainly don't advocate hitting kids, but a spanking on the bottom can teach a lesson.

If a consequence doesn't bother a kid, he won't learn anything from it, he won't change his behavior, and you've accomplished nothing.

Do you think it's a coincidence that in the enlightened age of "omg you can't spank your child" we are seeing such a heightened level of misbehavior and extreme lack of respect for others by young people? We're seeing the first generation of kids raised with no real threat of consequences, and it is disturbing to say the least. Kids go through all their formative years learning that they can do anything and there really isn't any consequence for it.

We've been banging the "better parenting skills" drum for more than a decade now and look at what society it's producing... Look at all the bullies ranging in age from 10-16, it's epidemic. Kids that have grown up with no punishment that makes them think they shouldn't do something is what we're getting.

No consequence = no reason to change behavior

We've been banging the "better parenting skills" drum for more than a decade now and look at what society it's producing... Look at all the bullies ranging in age from 10-16, it's epidemic. Kids that have grown up with no punishment that makes them think they shouldn't do something is what we're getting.

You're right, but I don't know that the consequences have to include physical discipline. The other route is harder - takes more effort because when you ground a kid and take away their gadgets, then you have a bored kid on your hands. So parents, at times, get lazy and don't want to take things away because it makes their job harder.

Kids are spoiled these days - they drive luxury cars at 16, have more electronics than is good for them and part of it is a sense of entitlement and lack of appreciation/gratitidue. But I still feel that taking things away (like their freedom, their game systems, their phones, their computers) gives them time to think and hits them hard. But parents don't seem to do that stuff because the resistance they face in that becomes too demanding.

Mom and dad, how'd you get so rad?

When exactly did you get so hip?

Wearing teenage clothes

You're always coming to my shows

And telling me that I should mellow out

It's absurd, they're singing every word

You're not supposed to like my band

Things I like you don't understand

So please put down that rum and Coke

That's not behavior for old folk

Can we just hang on holidays

Dad and mom, what planet are you from?

And what convinced you to pack up and leave

Doing drugs and asking me for hugs

What's the matter with parents today?

Not again when will it end?

Dad's dressing like Motley Crew

And why is moms hair dyed bright blue?

And stayin' out till two or three

Then having sex publicly

I thought the apple fell far from the tree

Mom and dad, I think you ought

To quit smoking so much pot

And hanging with my friends

Laying round, on the couch

With my Misfits records out

Softly banging your head

Maybe its just a passing phase

What's the matter with my parents these days?

mike burdett

You're right, but I don't know that the consequences have to include physical discipline. The other route is harder - takes more effort because when you ground a kid and take away their gadgets, then you have a bored kid on your hands. So parents, at times, get lazy and don't want to take things away because it makes their job harder.

Kids are spoiled these days - they drive luxury cars at 16, have more electronics than is good for them and part of it is a sense of entitlement and lack of appreciation/gratitidue. But I still feel that taking things away (like their freedom, their game systems, their phones, their computers) gives them time to think and hits them hard. But parents don't seem to do that stuff because the resistance they face in that becomes too demanding.

Unless they have a job and went out and bought those things with their hard earned money wouldn't those things actually be the parents?

Someone should remind those parents that when those kids hit the real world and discover the world actually owes them nothing it would be in their best interest to prepare them for that.

Isn't there a joke about a lawyer driving people to his house so they can eat the grass?

*Inappropriate content removed*

Since there seems to be no conclusive proof one way or the other;

IMO I'd reserve the physical discipline for those events that were life threatening such as running into traffic or deliberate improper use of dangerous tools

Are you suggesting that 10-16 year old didn't bully each other 10, 25, 50, 100 or more years ago?

It's a fallacious kind of logic to suggest that because you hear about more cases because of our increased inter-connectivity that bullying is the result of a new found epidemic and that it wasn't the case when you were growing up or at other times in the past.

That's called 'The Good Ol' Days' fallacy. It's something that people use when talking about crime. Because we get more reports of violent crimes nowadays one could conclude that people are more violent nowadays....but the truth is that violent crime rates are down across the board since the 70's.

You have to start addressing the way in which you may be formulating fallacious ideas and thoughts.

Again, violence begets violence....and sometimes it starts in the home and finds its way into society. Don't discount that, for the easier conclusion that people are just more violent nowadays, and the answer is violence. All that does is feed the beast of violence further, and then we all suffer from those consequences.

Archived