The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bus Driver Uppercuts Young Woman.

VoiceOfReason_

agree, I remember getting the paddle a couple times when I was a kid. Learned my lessons quickly and learned respect in the process. I turned out fine because of it.

Kids today know they can get away with murder with little repercussions. I smacked my nephew across the back of the head a few months back for disrespecting my mother. You could tell it snapped some sense into him. Don't think his mother ever did that, he has very little respect for anyone. Treats my Mother different now though, thats for sure.

Punishment can be effective without the use of violence. Largely all it does is re-enforce the wrong lesson that violence is an appropriate response to negative behaviour. Then it gets passed on, one generation to the next. In some families it's moderate, in some it's extreme. In none is it beneficial for society.

Actually, looking at that video once more, after WAY too many times already....it looks like to me that the girl may have initiated the contact while the driver was operating the bus. You can see it in the reflection a bit, as the guy in the orange vest attempts to sit down, just before the driver gets up.

This may be able to be a case of self-defence.......perhaps.

Actually, looking at that video once more, after WAY too many times already....it looks like to me that the girl may have initiated the contact while the driver was operating the bus. You can see it in the reflection a bit, as the guy in the orange vest attempts to sit down, just before the driver gets up.

This may be able to be a case of self-defence.......perhaps.

I said right in my post that I wasn't advocating that kind of violence...yup the bus driver should be fired. He could have killed her. All I have been saying(with the use of hyperbole) is, "I believe" there is a serious discipline issue with a lot of kids growing up today...there is an ever expanding number of out-of-control kids these days(look no further than Amanda Todd). But like I have also already said, I don't know the answers, that is just my opinion.

I don't think you should be advocating any sort of violence as a child-rearing tactic. Discipline is fine, but violent discipline provides blind and fearful obedience at best and perpetuates a cycle of violence. People that learn that violence is okay through their parents' actions are more likely to be violent themselves.

Archived