345 replies to this topic

#181 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:07 AM

I don't know about that. I was spanked and so was many of my friends and they all turned into fine citizens of society. Yet I've seen little kids who were never punished or touched turn into brats and little punks that were spoiled. The results speak for themselves and if spanking is the only method to raise the child right, then so be it. I don't mean extreme violence on kids but a balanced reward and punishment system that guides them to what the wrong and right actions are. Kids today are so spoiled and lack manners and most of them probably never had a spanking in their life but I guess that is considered an example of good parenting nowadays.

And I know people who were spanked as kids who turned into messes and kids who weren't who turned into fine citizens who also have the added bonus of not advocating any violence towards children. I wasn't advocating no discipline at all, just not physical discipline.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#182 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

A child should NEVER have to fear being hit by their parent, doesn't matter if all it is, is a light smack. I've done my share of fracked up stuff, and let me tell you that being able to tell your parents things truthfully and knowing you won't be hurt will get you along way.

Keep your Wizdom to yourself.

Wait until you hit the age of 15. From 15-18 your going to do a lot of dumb things, stuff that you won't even be able to tell your parents. Your life is going to be so "fracked" up for the next couple of years.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#183 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

I cannot begin to fathom the cognitive dissonance that must take place when a person is resorting to striking someone much smaller and way more defenseless than them.

#184 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

I can't believe anyone can feel sorry for her when she hit the driver first, don't dish it out if you can't take it. Personally, I think the driver has had trouble with her before, we can't see what stated the argument in the first place, but I get the impression that the two were familiar with each other. This is likely something that has been building for a while and he finally had enough of her attitude, when she hit him, it was the straw that broke the camels back. If they charge him with assault, they will likely have to charge her as well as she initiated the physical confrontation.

Edited by Norman Clegg, 14 October 2012 - 10:20 AM.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#185 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

Wait until you hit the age of 15. From 15-18 your going to do a lot of dumb things, stuff that you won't even be able to tell your parents. Your life is going to be so "fracked" up for the next couple of years.

Maybe he's going do a lot of dumb things at 15-18 because he hasn't been properly hit with a shoe or a wooden spoon.

I agree with you, his parents should start beating him now in order to make sure he doesn't do any dumb things, like hit children with a shoe or a wooden spoon.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#186 Fathoms

Fathoms

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Please, stop with the act of violence non-sense. If they don't get a little exposure to that act of violence they will either turn up a spoiled brat with no fear of doing anything or a loud mouth jerk with a big ego or someone who ends up committing suicide because they just got exposed to real acts of violence and bullies.They will eventually become exposed to this "act of violence" once they enter elementary or high school. It is better to prepare them early in their childhood so they don't get a shock once they become a little older and suddenly get exposed to real life violence and a violent society.

This is the mythology of original sin. And it is a thinly veiled cover story for abuse. By spanking a child you are not protecting him from bullies. You ARE the bully. And this is the complete moral inversion double-think that spanking engenders in the impressionable minds of the young. Think about it. A person taking out their frustrations on the weak and helpless supposedly for their own good, which is of course nothing more than transparent propaganda, is supposed to be the model and representative of the "good". And a child, not properly giving respect to an abuser who hits the defenceless, is supposed to be the model of the "bad". This is a recipe for an untold number of spoiled minds.

The average persons understanding of psychology and of ethics is about on par with their understanding of astrophysics. The vast majority of parents never read parenting books or attend parenting classes or have even the slightest amount of self-knowledge necessary to know how much their unlived lives may negatively effect the behaviour and development of their children. They cannot see past their own noses. And so when punishing their children all they are really doing is managing symptoms while ignoring or even exacerbating underlying causes. Alice Miller articulates this perspective brilliantly when she wrote, "It is unlikely that someone could proclaim "truths" that are counter to physical laws for very long (for example, that it is healthy for children to run around in bathing suits in winter and in fur coats in summer) without appearing ridiculous. But it is perfectly normal to speak of the necessity of striking and humiliating children and robbing them of their autonomy, at the same time using such high-sounding words as chastising, upbringing, and guiding onto the right path."

Edited by Fathoms, 14 October 2012 - 11:36 AM.

wordings...

#187 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Maybe he's going do a lot of dumb things at 15-18 because he hasn't been properly hit with a shoe or a wooden spoon.

I agree with you, his parents should start beating him now in order to make sure he doesn't do any dumb things, like hit children with a shoe or a wooden spoon.

Your telling you we're always a good little boy who didn't do anything wrong?

You know that between 15 and 18 years old, it is one of the craziest times in you life. People do a lot of fracked up stuff at that age. It doesn't matter if the kid received a spanking or not, because from 15-18 things will happen. No method really is going to work at a time like that.

I already said this before, but we should just drop this. We are not going to agree on this situation. There is going to be no "winner" and we are not going to change each others minds.

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 14 October 2012 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#188 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

LOL. So your opinion matters but mine doesn't? You think I would know when I'm the kid
Posted Image

#189 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

LOL. So your opinion matters but mine doesn't? You think I would know when I'm the kid

I'm just letting you know because you said that the child would talk to his parents and tell the truth. After 15 a lot if things start becoming a secret from your parents and crazy "fracked" up things will happen. I'm just getting out of that age, were one of the craziest 3 years of my life.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#190 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'm just letting you know because you said that the child would talk to his parents and tell the truth. After 15 a lot if things start becoming a secret from your parents and crazy "fracked" up things will happen. I'm just getting out of that age, were one of the craziest 3 years of my life.

Maybe you started having more secrets because you'd get hit with a shoe or a wooden spoon if you told the truth.

Example :

You: "Mom, Dad I want to go to Disneyland"
Mom or Dad: *hits you with a shoe or wooden spoon".

Awesome parenting. :rolleyes:

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#191 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

My parents were/are tea totalling, go to church every week , never have sex before marriage kind of people .
in my teens they told me , we know you are going to have sex , do drugs and other things that we did not approve of , we do not want you to do these things , but if you do always feel that you can come to us and talk about these things .

This is the kind of parent i am going to be .

www.abc.net.au/tv/theslap

This is a review of a book called the slap , which abc made a series out of , it is a must read IMO,

Book Review: The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

September 18, 2009 · by Tania McCartney ·

Posted ImageIt’s always a little dangerous to read something that’s been lauded by the press and even more dangerous when the author has been pegged as the next big thing in contemporary fiction. It’s dangerous because expectations are high.
I tried to go into The Slap with low expectations and also with as little media-induced hype as possible. Sure, this novel had everyone gossiping around the ubiquitous water cooler but other than the contentious central theme of the facial slapping of a minor, I didn’t want to know what else I was in for. I wanted it to be a surprise.
Was I surprised? Perhaps. But not in a contentious sense. I guess I was surprised that this lengthy novel is simply a running account of everyday life in urban and suburban Melbourne – a graphic snapshot of the lives of an extended family and friends, from wee ones through to grandparents.
This may sound pedestrian but it’s not. It goes much deeper than that. Supping hungrily on the multi-cultural melting pot that is modern day Australia, Tsiolkas’ urban saga is fascinating in that it delves deeply into the minds and vulnerabilities of its characters, taking cuttings from a wide cross-section of immigrant culture, peppered with the odd white Australian skippy.
With a large Greek family as his anchor point, Tsiolkas clearly writes what he knows. His main character Hector and Indian wife Aisha are the types anyone would like to know more about – they are most certainly the neighbours whose tall fence you would like to take a peek over. You might even like to be invited into their house, just to check them out and catch a glimpse of a life perhaps far removed from your own. Attractive, successful – they appear to have it all. So much so, you might even delight in the possibility of watching them fall.
When Hector and Aisha host a large BBQ for friends and extended family, the afternoon is punctured with the wails of over-zealous and persnickety children – typical of many a family gathering in the Australian ‘burbs. Readers will nod in sympathy and perhaps even cringe a little when a relaxing social afternoon is consistently disrupted by tiring puerile drama.
It’s when one particular child and one particular adult cross paths, however, that the real drama unfolds… in the form of an open-handed slap across a pert little pink cheek.
Was it deserved? Perhaps. Was it right? That’s your call. And Tsiolkas’ characters will soon regale you with their own varying opinion, as The Slap unravels its narrative through the eyes of eight central characters.
Just as water-cooler book clubs everywhere have argued the point of right and wrong, have skewed and escalated and dumbed-down the gravity of ‘the incident’, so do the characters in the book. Which characters condone the validity of this act? Which ones spurn it? Who is sitting on the fence?
Essentially, The Slap may be a real life and fascinating peek over the fences found in a typical Melbourne neighbourhood, but Tsiolkas also treats us to many a domestic secret, plenty of intolerance, and most deliciously – what people really think. He even goes so far as to reveal the thickly-woven inner workings of his characters, the weaknesses and sensibilities that make all humans an absolute piece of work.
Whilst I did enjoy The Slap, what I didn’t get from this novel was a sense of literary contentment. Indeed, perhaps more descriptive and evocative prose would not suit this style of novel – it doesn’t pretend to be something it’s not and Tsiolkas obviously doesn’t apologise for this. Despite the fact that striking description is few and far between, the author nonetheless manages to write with a simplicity that belies the outcome. With just a few short words, we are able to envisage entire waiting rooms, easily conjure physical features and watch the heat rising upon a furious face.
There is nothing pretentious about The Slap. Characters are both rich and poor, likeable and unlikeable, sharp and stupid, vulnerable and commanding – just like real life. It’s plotline is unremarkable but therein lies its attraction. It travels several months past the incident, and while it refers to and consistently peaks reader interest in this central occurence, it also peels away the layers of the lives of its characters. Layers both unremarkable and remarkable.
Just like real life.
The plot is simple and has sharp little references that link together comfortably and satisfyingly, but there is also a lot that remains frustratingly unlinked, leaving the reader a little ungratified. Nonetheless, it’s clear the book was not written with this requirement in mind. Real life and its curiosities do not always resolve or reconcile. It is random and imperfect, quirky, exhilarating and dreary.
When it comes to all these elements, Tsiolkas knows how to represent.
Although The Slap certainly settles itself firmly into real life and purports its idiosyncrasies most beautifully, there are components that felt far from realistic.
The profanity, for example, is profuse, and while I’ll happily swear like a trooper under the appropriate circumstances, I do find it hard to believe that every adult character, even the grandparents, have the mouths of guttersnipes. Most characters are liberal with many an f ‘n’ c – and I’m not talking about fish ‘n’ chips – even in front of young children. Do people really speak like this on a consistent basis? If yes, how soul-destroying.
And maybe I’m getting old but the unabashed and gleeful abuse of alcohol and drugs is something I’m a little over. Yes, we all have our demons and humans are experimental creatures, but it was interesting to watch several characters stumble and fall down helplessly in my estimation upon succumbing to substance abuse.
But was I really meant to like them anyway? Is this fall from grace what the author intended? Unlike many other novels where character flaws and distaste can turn things into a muck pile, it’s obvious Tsiolkas’ intentions were deliberate. Was his intention to show us vulnerability and weakness, even in the supposed face of perfection?
No. I actually think – like the whole premise behind The Slap – the author’s intention was to present to us a singular journey through the real world.
And what a trip.
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#192 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Your telling you we're always a good little boy who didn't do anything wrong?

You know that between 15 and 18 years old, it is one of the craziest times in you life. People do a lot of fracked up stuff at that age. It doesn't matter if the kid received a spanking or not, because from 15-18 things will happen. No method really is going to work at a time like that.

I already said this before, but we should just drop this. We are not going to agree on this situation. There is going to be no "winner" and we are not going to change each others minds.

I didn't really do anything crazy between 15-18 and I could be honest to my parents just fine because I wasn't afraid of being hit if I told them the truth.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#193 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Maybe you started having more secrets because you'd get hit with a shoe or a wooden spoon if you told the truth.

Example :

Maybe you should have had your a** beat as a kid. Your behaving like a total douche right now, which is completely unnecessary.

My parents have provided me with things I need and more. I am thankful for everything they have done and are doing for me.

I never really had secrets, but a lot of my friends did dumb things and didn't tell their parents. Did I do some dumb things, of course. Yes I hid some things, but I always told my mom things.

Why don't you stop behaving like a complete clown and just get over yourself.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#194 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Maybe you should have had your a** beat as a kid. Your behaving like a total douche right now, which is completely unnecessary.

My parents have provided me with things I need and more. I am thankful for everything they have done and are doing for me.

I never really had secrets, but a lot of my friends did dumb things and didn't tell their parents. Did I do some dumb things, of course. Yes I hid some things, but I always told my mom things.

Why don't you stop behaving like a complete clown and just get over yourself.

Maybe getting beaten as a kid has taught you to be abusive towards others .

why do you feel the need to call sharp a clown ?
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia

#195 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

How about if he called your parents out, would you take it kindly.

I don't really care anymore, I'm Sikh and in my culture kids get beat. It works and it has worked for years and years. You guys can spew whatever garbage you want about how it's abusuve and all that good stuff, but I just don't give a ratsa** anymore.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#196 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

I don't really care anymore, I'm Sikh and in my culture kids get beat. It works and it has worked for years and years. You guys can spew whatever garbage you want about how it's abusuve and all that good stuff, but I just don't give a ratsa** anymore.

While It's true that child beating is commonplace in our culture (Sikhs), especially among children whose parents are born in India, I don't see this evidence of it working anywhere.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#197 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Perhaps Sharphooter is inviting unto himself the equivalent behaviour that he has historically and presently continued to treat others with?

But I do agree, it is better to take the high road (like I exemplified a recent time ago upon being called a 'goof' here by Sharpshooter). Maybe that was because I was spanked as a child?
"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Posted Image Posted Image

#198 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Example :

Awesome ridiculousness! :rolleyes:

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 14 October 2012 - 02:23 PM.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

#199 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

your eloquence is only matched by your ability to maintain a civil conversation .
Noam Chomsky

#200 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

If you have to hit a fellow human being to get them to act in a certain way , what does that say about you ?
and what message are you sending that person ?

You are now taking this discussion to lengths far beyond anything reasonable and rational and it is a meagre emotional tactic to equate spanking a child with the language and concepts you otherwise imply.

#201 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

when i was 5 years old my mother told me to do something , i calmly told her i could not do what she told me , because that would give her power over me .

then she reasoned with me and ASKED me , that was when i complied .

several years later , i was beaten by a nun , sister cyril , after this i made her life as hard as possible for the next 4 years , and the more she beat me , the more trouble i gave her .

controlling some one through fear is wrong , and will backfire on you one way or another

I am saddened to hear about your treatment by that nun and I think I now better understand your perspective on this. This is not what is being advocated and you ought to be able to discern between the two vastly disparate and incomparable concepts.

But if at five years old you are telling your mother that you refuse to comply with her because she has no power/authority over you then this strikes me as a spoiled child with a severely unrealistic sense of entitlement.

#202 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Perhaps Sharphooter is inviting unto himself the equivalent behaviour that he has historically and presently continued to treat others with?

But I do agree, it is better to take the high road (like I exemplified a recent time ago upon being called a 'goof' here by Sharpshooter). Maybe that was because I was spanked as a child?

most of the time you do stay reasonable and civil , but are you seriously linking your ability to do this with being slapped ?

And if so i believe this is the sign of a weak will , the more i got beaten , by nuns and priests , the more determined i became that i would win the battle of wills we were engaged in .
Noam Chomsky

#203 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

I am saddened to hear about your treatment by that nun and I think I now better understand your perspective on this. This is not what is being advocated and you ought to be able to discern between the two vastly disparate and incomparable concepts.

But if at five years old you are telling your mother that you refuse to comply with her because she has no power/authority over you then this strikes me as a spoiled child with a severely unrealistic sense of entitlement.

Whem mum reminded me of this a few years ago , it made me think , why did i think this way ?, where had these thoughts come from ?
I dont know , but no one has been successful in telling me what to do, just as i will never tell anyone else ,including my child , what to do .
All you have to do is ask , ask me to do something , and generally i will break my back for you .
I have always known how to get the best out of some one , that is treating them like an equal and asking them to do something and then encouraging them in the process
This is the reasonable and rational way to treat your fellow human being's
Noam Chomsky

#204 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

most of the time you do stay reasonable and civil , but are you seriously linking your ability to do this with being slapped ?

And if so i believe this is the sign of a weak will , the more i got beaten , by nuns and priests , the more determined i became that i would win the battle of wills we were engaged in .

No no, that was very much a tongue-in-cheek response to the notion and correlation that the other individual using the word 'clown' was because of how he was disciplined as a child.

Again, the issue here is not about nuns and priests or Imaams or whatever, for I stand with you in full opposition there.

*rasp*It stays in the family*rasp* B)

Posted Image

Edited by DarthNinja_S19Blade, 14 October 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#205 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

your eloquence is only matched by your ability to maintain a civil conversation .

The civility in this conversation was lost a couple pages ago. Your actually one of the only ones who is being civil and good on you for that.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#206 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

So, according to your own words, your culture beats their children, but we're the ones painting it as abusive??

The only thing that seems to have 'worked' is that you carry on an abusive parenting style for "years and years".

The weird thing is, that you almost seem proud of it in someway. Like "I'm Sikh, we beat our kids". Yay?

By the way, i'm going to bet that you're not actually a 'Sikh'. I doubt you've been baptized. I doubt your parents are either, and if they were then they certainly aren't following their religion's fundamental tenet.

Human rights are the foundation of Sikhism. The fundamental tenet of Sikhism is that the formless
Creator, the Supreme Soul, resides in each individual. Each human being is entitled to equal respect and equal dignity no matter what the person’s age, faith, belief or station in life.

Reflecting these values, the Sikh Awareness Society has developed resources and support for families.

Parenting Tips explains that the best way to gain respect from your children is to treat them respectfully:

“You should give your child the same courtesies you would give to anyone else…. Children treat

others the way their parents treat them.”

“Avoid harsh discipline. Of all the forms of punishment that a parent uses, the one with the worst

side effects is physical punishment. Children who are spanked, hit or slapped are more prone to

fighting with other children. They are more likely to be bullies and more likely to use aggression

to solve disputes with others.

“… Your relationship with your child is the foundation for her relationship with others.”

Not only are they guilty of poor parenting, they're guilty of being poor 'Sikhs'. They may need a refresher in how to be better in both. I'm sure there are classes available at their local temple. Though, i doubt you or they will decide to educate yourselves. You all apparently think beating kids is normal. The apple doesn't seem to fall too far from the tree me thinks. Sad.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 14 October 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#207 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

POPULAR

So, according to your own words, your culture beats their children, but we're the ones painting it as abusive??

The only thing that seems to have 'worked' is that you carry on an abusive parenting style for "years and years".

The weird thing is, that you almost seem proud of it in someway. Like "I'm Sikh, we beat our kids". Yay?

By the way, i'm going to bet that you're not actually a 'Sikh'. I doubt you've been baptized. I doubt your parents are either, and if they were then they certainly aren't following their religion's fundamental tenet.

Not only are they guilty of poor parenting, they're guilty of being poor 'Sikhs'. They may need a refresher in how to be better in both. I'm sure there are classes available at their local temple. Though, i doubt you or they will decide to educate yourselves. You all apparently think beating kids is normal. The apple doesn't seem to fall too far from the tree me thinks. Sad.

What are you trying to get at?

I am a Sikh. I eat meat and I get a haircut. Does that make me a less of a Sikh? The answer is no.

You are really starting to cross a line here. For a guy who doesn't seem to believe in religion you sure do talk about it a lot.

Also because you googled Sikh, doesn't mean you know anything. Most Sikhs are not baptized, but we are still Sikh. Your opinion on whether or not I am a good or bad Sikh does not matter because who the hell are you to judge me.

Also where do you come from to call out my parents, I can say something about your family which would piss you off how would you feel about that.

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 14 October 2012 - 06:08 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#208 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

What are you trying to get at?

I am a Sikh. I eat meat and I get a haircut. Does that make me a less of a Sikh? The answer is no.

You are really starting to cross a line here. For a guy who doesn't seem to believe in religion you sure do talk about it a lot.

Also because you googled Sikh, doesn't mean you know anything. Most Sikhs are not baptized, but we are still Sikh. Your opinion on whether or not I am a good or bad Sikh does not matter because who the hell are you to judge me.

Also where do you come from to call out my parents, I can say something about your family which would piss you off how would you feel about that.

Actually, the answer is yes.

It does make you less of a 'Sikh'.

Sikh mean 'disciple'. By cutting your hair and eating meat and in the case of your parents beating you with a shoe and/or a wooden spoon, you're not following the tenets or the disciplines of the Sikh faith as put forth by the 10th guru, when he established the Khalsa, aka 'The Pure' nor are you adhering to what's contained in the religion's holy book, Granth Sahib.

No ' pure walkers of the path' are you or your folks. Hate to be the one to break it to you, but it is what it is.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 14 October 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#209 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Actually, the answer is yes.

It does make you less of a 'Sikh'.

Sikh mean 'disciple'. By cutting your hair and eating meat and in the case of your parents beating you with a shoe and/or a wooden spoon, you're not following the tenets or the disciplines of the Sikh faith as put forth by the 10th guru, when he established the Khalsa, aka 'The Path;, nor are you adhering to what's contained in the religion's holy book, Granth Sahib.

No 'walkers of the path' are you or your folks. Hate to be the one to break it to you, but it is what it is.

I love your brain...... :wub:
Posted Image

#210 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

so.....

that got awkward

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.