93 replies to this topic

#1 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

‘It’s for your good. Let me finish’: Afghan-Canadian mother told police she stabbed her daughter with a kitchen knife

Sep 26, 2012 11:08 PM ET

Posted Image

MONTREAL – For months, Bahar Ebrahimi had been rebelling against her parents, complaining their Afghan culture and Muslim religion were suffocating her. “I want to enjoy my life. I want to feel what the other ones feel,” she told them, according to her mother’s statement to police.

It was June, 2010, Grand Prix weekend in downtown Montreal, and on two straight nights the 19-year-old stayed out past dawn against her parents’ wishes.

For her mother, Johra Kaleki, the behaviour confirmed that all her efforts to steer her eldest daughter on the right path had failed. “I felt like she would never be fixed,” she told Sgt.-Det. Alexandre Bertrand in an interrogation video played Wednesday in Quebec Court.

As her crying husband spoke to Bahar in the basement of their Dorval home, Ms. Kaleki went upstairs and grabbed a large knife from the kitchen counter, the one she used to chop meat, she recounted. “I said, ‘This is the time.’ ”

She hid the knife under her T-shirt, returned to the basement, and told her husband the problem would best be resolved between mother and daughter. “Just leave us alone for five minutes,” she said she told him. “Don’t come until I call you.”

He left and she cuddled her first-born and told her to lie on her stomach so she could give her a back massage. “Then I stab her, stab her neck,” she confessed. “She said, ‘No Mom!’ I said, ‘It’s for your good. Let me finish.’ ”

Earlier in the interrogation, Sgt.-Det. Bertrand has asked whether the knife blade was sharp. “No, it wasn’t,” she replied. “I wish it was. I wanted to give her the peace that she needed.”

Bahar survived the attack, suffering serious knife wounds to her head and shoulder. Ms. Kaleki, 40, is charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and illegal use of a weapon.

Her husband, alerted by Bahar’s screams, rushed downstairs and grabbed the knife from Ms. Kaleki, the court heard. “I said to my husband, let me finish her.’ ” She tried to choke her daughter, she said, and after Bahar escaped, she chased her upstairs and tried to break down the locked door to the bedroom where she was calling 911.

She was arrested, and after being treated in hospital for a knife wound on her own arm, she told her story to Sgt.-Det. Bertrand.

Then I stab her, stab her neck. She said, ‘No Mom!’ I said, It’s for your good. Let me finish
The first night Bahar stayed out late, informing her parents she was downtown enjoying a concert, they went to the local police station to file a report, Ms. Kaleki said. The officer told them there was nothing that could be done. “He said, ‘She’s safe. Don’t worry. She’s a teenager.’ ”

But the idea of a rebellious teenage girl was foreign to her parents. They expected Bahar to be home by 11 p.m. and not to smoke, drink or have boyfriends.

After the second night, when Bahar said she had spent much of the evening walking along St. Laurent Blvd., Ms. Kaleki was horrified. “I asked her, ‘Are you a prostitute? Are you a whore?’ ” she said.

A few months earlier, when Ms. Kaleki discovered Bahar was being harassed by an ex-boyfriend, she blamed her daughter. After speaking to the boy once on the phone, Ms. Kaleki decided he sounded like “a very good Muslim guy” and told Bahar he would make a good husband. “Probably you’ve done something to drive him crazy,” she told her. “I know you. You’re my daughter.” Bahar refused the idea of marriage, calling the boy a “psycho.”

Toward the end of the four-hour interview, the detective asked Ms. Kaleki whether she had anything to add. “I hope she gets well,” she said referring to her daughter. But she did not want her to emerge unscarred.

“She live with that wound,” she continued, pointing to her neck, “she remembers me.” The experience “will make her strong and give her wisdom. . . . It means she will give up her ways of living.”

The hearing this week before Judge Yves Paradis is to determine whether the video and other statements made by Ms. Kaleki can be entered into evidence during the trial, which is scheduled to begin in January. Ms. Kaleki’s defence lawyer has said she will argue that Ms. Kaleki did not have the “operating mind” necessary to consent to the interrogation. The hearing continues Thursday.

http://news.national...-kitchen-knife/

Not sure if the trial is over or continuing. The cross-examination was continuing as of Oct. 3rd.

I'll update the OP if I find anything further about this case.

I find it ironic that this family may have come here for freedom but continued to practice a religion and hold to cultural ideals that impinge on freedom for their family. Sad that the mother went to these lengths to force her religion and cultural standards on her daughter. I was genuinely surprised that it was the father who saved her.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 12 October 2012 - 11:34 AM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#2 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Ah, but given her heinous actions, the mother isn't a true Muslim so we should disregard her religious beliefs /sarcasm

Seriously though the way her comments read, she does sound touched in the head.

#3 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm glad the father stopped the crazy mother. It sickens me to hear a parent harming their own child.

#4 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,059 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Afghamenopause.

#5 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

For frack's sake. That is messed up.

The mother is more than just "touched". She's deluded and a psychopath.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#6 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm glad the father stopped the crazy mother. It sickens me to hear a parent harming their own child.

Me too.

Though we hear that it's usually the father or a male member of the family that are the perpetrators in these kind of 'honour killing' attempts, from these cultures. I presume that it's rare for the mother to be the one leading the charge, but I could be wrong.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#7 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

I don't care if I sound racist, but a large majority of these people are completely fracked in the head

#8 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

A smart Mother coerces the father into doing it .. -_-
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#9 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Me too.

Though we hear that it's usually the father or a male member of the family that are the perpetrators in these kind of 'honour killing' attempts, from these cultures. I presume that it's rare for the mother to be the one leading the charge, but I could be wrong.

I would think that it would depend on the dynamic of the parents.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

View PostGumballthechewy, on 10 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#10 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

I don't care if I sound racist, but a large majority of these people are completely fracked in the head

I disagree. I think 'these people' are very lovely. They've just been brainwashed is all and aren't equipped with the knowledge of how to better handle circumstances like this other than the barbaric prescriptions they've learned and been witness to from their own experiences growing up. Maybe they've never had the opportunity, the time, or the access to learn anything better.

It doesn't excuse their beliefs and uncivilized actions that stem from those beliefs, but perhaps learning more about why some of them are the way some of them are, and why others who don't necessarily come from those cultures either, but are born here are that way too, may at least help you not to sound so 'racist', and give you a better understanding, if you're up to the challenge.

There are many amazing and lovely muslims....but I reckon they'd be just as lovely and amazing without the brainwashing as well.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 12 October 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#11 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

I would think that it would depend on the dynamic of the parents.

Yep.

#12 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I didn't say all, I'm not condemning them as a group I'm sure you're right there are some "lovely and amazing" muslims

I just hear far too many stories like this one

#13 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

I didn't say all, I'm not condemning them as a group I'm sure you're right there are some "lovely and amazing" muslims

Child abuse crosses all racial, and cultural borders.

Also suspicious quotations marks are suspicious.

Edited by Mountain Man, 12 October 2012 - 12:11 PM.

virtus junxit mors non separabit.

View PostGumballthechewy, on 10 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#14 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

When it comes to these kinds of religious or cultural killings of girls and boys, it's far too common in some cultures/religions mixes than in others.

It's quite rare to hear about this stuff in Canada, or the U.S., though it does happen, let's not kid ourselves. Most of this stuff often may not even be reported out of the household let alone to the authorities, until it's too late.

And I wasn't trying to condemn you either, but just trying to give you another way of looking at things other than the obvious frustrated way you're seemingly doing currently. The frustration one feels when they hear these kinds of incidences are completely understandable though, so I get your reaction. I'm sure you're not a racist in the least, since most overt racists don't care whether they sound racist or not. Anyways, I get what you're saying and i'm sure most people do too.

#15 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Canada: Mother's throat slit in alleged honor killing

Toronto : Canada | Oct 11, 2012 at 5:32 AM PDT
By Karl GotthardtPosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
Muslim women protets agains violence and abuse.

Toronto is the scene of yet another "honor killing." 65-year-old Peer Khairi is on trial after his wife, Randjida Khairi, was found with several stab wounds on her body and her throat slit.
Pathologists determined that she was stabbed with two knives and that she drowned in her own blood, a process that took between five to 10 minutes.
The victim was married to her killer for 30 years and was found on a cot in Toronto in an apartment on the 16th floor. At issue is not whether her husband killed her, but how her death occurred and what was going through Khairi's mind.
There is plenty of evidence with images of the crime scene and the accompanying pathology report. Peer Khairi is a new arrival from Afghanistan, a country with a patriarchial society, where women obey their husbands. Khariri was struggling with Canadian culture and his wife's permissive nature, allowing their six children to drift from the culture and rules of their country of birth.
In Afghanistan young girls and women disobey the head of the family at their own peril. That is the fact in Afghan society, a fact NATO and UN non-governmental organizations have tried to change, apparently with little success.
The court was told that Randjida Khairi had been thinking about leaving her husband and that she had talked to other people, at times complete strangers, about her dilemma. Peer Khairi felt disrespected and betrayed by his children.
Khari has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and it is up to a jury, composed of four women and eight men, to sift through the arguments and evidence. The jury is multi-ethnic consisting of a mixture of old and young, brown and white and black and all hues in between.

Honor Killings in Canada
This is a more common phenonena in Canada than most Canadians would like to believe. The last high-profile case was concluded in January of this year, when another Afghan man enlisted his son and wife in a "cold-blooded, shameful and twisted' case to drown his former spouse and three teenage daugthers.

An article in the Vancouver Sunhighlights some of these honor killings, which are on the rise in Canada. While honour killings are more prevalent in the Muslim world, the killing of one's child is almost beyond believe for Canadians. Unfortunately, these killings are increasingly popping up in Canadian courtrooms. First generation Muslims struggle with the balance of the old-world ways and that of a permissive, liberal, Canadian society.
On June 16, the father and brother of a slain Mississauga, Ont., teen were sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to the December 2007 murder of Aqsa Parvez, a 16-year-old girl of Pakistani descent who wanted to wear western clothes and get a part-time job like her Canadian peers.
Days ago, an Afghan mother was arrested in Montreal, accused of stabbing her 19-year-old daughter after she stayed out all night in a case that's now being probed as a possible honour crime.
And then there's the case last year of Muhammad Shafia, his second wife, Tooba Muhammad Yahya, and their son, Hamed Shafia, accused of killing Shafia's first wife and three daughters, who were found in a vehicle submerged in a canal in Kingston, Ont.

According to a report by Dr. Amin Muhammad, a psychiatrist at Memorial University in St. John's, Newfoundland, there have been 13 such killings since 2002. He says that we are seeing an uptrend in these killings an that these killings are not connected to the teachings of the Quran. He feels that they are most often used as a defence for those who want to take advantage of Canada's cultural sensitivities in order to receive a more lenient sentence.
While honor killings are disturbing and incomprehensible to Canadians at large, this should not bee seen as a crisis. Many Muslims immigrate to Canada each year and integrate into Canadian society. Their children attend our schools, learn Canadian culture and adapt to our way of life.
The problem of suicide killings seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. We, as a society, and those within the Muslim community, have a duty to identify these anomalies and try to intervene before the cruel killings occur.

It is stories like this and and the OP's that turn my intense dislike of religion, into a simmering hatred .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 12 October 2012 - 12:56 PM.

"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#16 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Today a bunch of atheists killed eachother over who doesn't believe in god more, oh wait that never happens

#17 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Is it just me, or is it often Afghanis is stories like this?
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

Afghanis, Pakistani's, and others i'm sure.

Although, the one commonality that I seem with most 'honour killing' incidences, the thread of commonality seems to be the Islamic religion. There have been some cases of Sikh 'honour killings' as well in Canada and India too though, over the decades. One quite famous one as I recall, but as of late it seems to be the muslims making the headlines in this area. Maybe the Sikhs figured things out? I dunno.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 12 October 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#19 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Today a bunch of atheists killed eachother over who doesn't believe in god more, oh wait that never happens

Hehe thats kinda funny

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 12 October 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#20 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Afghanis, Pakistani's, and others i'm sure.

Although, the one commonality that I seem with most 'honour killing' incidences, the thread of commonality seems to be the Islamic religion. There have been some cases of Sikh 'honour killings' as well in Canada and India too though, over the decades. One quite famous one as I recall, but as of late it seems to be the muslims making the headlines in this area. Maybe the Sikhs figured things out? I dunno.

It would seem that there's a large cultural component as well, though. You can justify a lot of stuff using the Quran and hadiths, but I don't think honour killing is part of that.
Posted Image

#21 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

There have been a few killing and attempts in bc as well.
A dad didn't like his daughter's new white boyfriend so he killed her.

so happy that the Muslim's I had as friends in school grew up as moderate peaceloving folk, just like most of the rest of us.

#22 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Alleged 'honour killings' in Canada

CBC News

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 9:27 AM ET

Last Updated: Jan 30, 2012 9:40 AM ET

Posted ImageFlowers sit near the Kingston Mills locks on the Rideau Canal where the Shafia sisters and their father's first wife died on June 30, 2009. It has been suggested that the women's death was an honour killing. (Sunny Freeman/Canadian Press
Few phrases in the popular discourse are as contentious as "honour killing," but the recent murder trial of a family of Afghan immigrants convicted of killing four female relatives has forced Canadians to once again grapple with this controversial issue.
Mohammad Shafia, his wife, Tooba Yahya, and their son, Hamed, were found guilty of first degree murder in the death of Shafia and Yahya's three teenage daughters and Shafia's first wife, Rona Amir Mohammad. They were sentenced in a Kingston, Ont., courtroom on Jan. 29, 2012, to life in prison with no possibility of parole for 25 years.
During the course of the three-month trial the Crown successfully argued that Mohammad, 50, and sisters Zainab, 19, Sahar,17, and Geeti, 13, were killed because Sahar and Zainab were thought to have dishonoured the family by having boyfriends and living a modern lifestyle.
Their bodies were found in a submerged car in the Rideau Canal near Kingston in 2009.

Alleged honour killings in Canada

The Shafia family: The Shafia sisters — Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, — were found dead in a submerged car in Kingston, Ont., in 2009, along with their father's first wife, Rona Mohammed, 50. The sisters' parents, Mohammad Shafia and Tooba Yahya, and their 21-year-old brother, Hamed, were each found guilty of four counts of first-degree murder

Jaswinder Kaur Sidhu, 25: The B.C.-born woman was found dead in 2000 after moving to India to live with her new husband, who was also beaten a day earlier. Seven men were convicted in India as contract killers. Police allege they were hired by her mother and uncle, who were arrested in Maple Ridge, B.C., on Jan. 6, 2012 and now face an extradition hearing.

Amandeep Atwal, 17: Her father was convicted in her stabbing death in 2003 in B.C. He apparently disapproved of her relationship with her high school sweetheart, who was from a different ethnic group.

Khatera Sadiqi, 20: Sadiqi and her fiancé were shot to death in 2006 while parked in a car outside an Ottawa shopping plaza. Her brother was found guilty of murdering them. He told the court that he wanted his sister to respect their father.

Aqsa Parvez, 16: The teen was found strangled in her family's Mississauga home in 2007. Her brother and father pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in 2010. Parvez's friends said she'd been having arguments with her father about wearing a traditional hijab.
In a wiretapped conversation between Shafia and his wife and son after the bodies were discovered, Shafia revealed his anger at seeing suggestive cellphone photos of his two eldest daughters: "Curse God on both of them. Is that what a daughter should be? Would a daughter be such a whore?"
When handing down his sentence, Ontario Superior Court Judge Robert Maranger called the crimes "despicable" and "heinous" and said:
"The apparent reason behind these cold-blooded, shameful murders was that the four completely innocent victims offended your completely twisted concept of honour … that has absolutely no place in any civilized society."
Though often linked to sexual issues such as adultery and premarital sex, the perceived "offences" that have prompted honour killings have come to include a woman's push for independence.
To some observers, honour killings confuse the issue of domestic abuse with religious connotations. For others, it's an important designation of a cultural phenomenon distinct from domestic violence.

Global problem
There are documented cases of men being killed for ruining a family's reputation, but the vast majority of the victims are female.
Believed to have originated as a patriarchal tribal custom, honour killings are a global phenomenon. A 2000 report by the UN Population Fund estimated that as many as 5,000 women and girls are killed each year by relatives for allegedly dishonouring their family.
A 10-month investigation by Britain's Independent newspaper in 2010, however, said woman's groups in the Middle East and Southwest Asia peg the figure at closer to 20,000.
Shahrzad Mojab, a professor of women's studies at the University of Toronto, was called in on Dec. 5 as an expert witness in the Shafia trial. She told the court the rationale behind honour killings is a belief that "the shedding of the blood is a way of purifying the name of the family."
While the practice is often associated with Muslim cultures, it also happens among Christians, Hindus and Sikhs. The Independent story suggested the practice is strongest in Pakistan and Turkey, as well as among Palestinians in Jordan and Kurds in northern Iraq.
Due to immigration, the issue has become a growing concern in countries like the U.S., Britain and Canada
Canadian cases
A number of domestic cases have recently made the headlines in Canada.
In 2010, Muhammad Parvez and his son Waqas were sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of 16-year-old Aqsa Parvez, who had been found strangled in her family's Mississauga, Ont. home in 2007.
The killing is believed to have been the result of arguments Parvez had with her father about wearing a traditional hijab.
In 2006, 20-year-old Khatera Sadiqi and her fiancé were shot to death outside an Ottawa shopping plaza. Her brother was found guilty of the murder, having told the court he wanted his sister to respect their father.
The issue has become so pressing that the study guide for the Canadian citizenship test refers to it explicitly, saying that "Canada's openness and generosity do not extend to barbaric cultural practices that tolerate spousal abuse, 'honour killings,' female genital mutilation, forced marriage or other gender-based violence."
In a 2009 edition of the U.S. policy journal Middle East Quarterly, American feminist writer Phyllis Chesler argued that honour killings are distinct from domestic violence. (The journal is published by Middle East Forum, the think tank of controversial U.S. scholar Daniel Pipes. The forum lists its mission as promoting American interests in the Middle East, which in its view include "fighting radical Islam.")
According to Chesler, honour killings differ from domestic abuse because they are planned in advance and often rely on collusion between multiple family member
Gender inequality
Other observers think the problem is rooted in inequality. Writing in the Huffington Post, John L. Esposito, professor of religion and international affairs at Georgetown University, said that linking honour killings to a religion like Islam misses an opportunity "to address what is truly intolerable: gender-based violence."
While there is much debate over the suitability of the term honour killing, legal experts say that it shouldn't cloud the issue of culpability.
"I think we need to be careful not to allow social phenomena to change our response in terms of the criminal justice system," says Carissima Mathen, a professor of law at the University of Ottawa.
"Ultimately, motive doesn't make you more or less guilty. Planned and deliberate murder is a crime that is equally serious, no matter what the circumstances."
Mathen doesn't believe Canada's Criminal Code should be modified to accommodate this emerging problem.
"I would not expend resources on crafting special criminal laws to deal with this offense," Mathen says. "I would put the focus on prevention, education and outreach."

I have posted this article because it gives people an idea of how many "honour" killings happen , and to highlight that women form the majority of the victims

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 12 October 2012 - 01:33 PM.

"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#23 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Stayed out past dawn? DAYUM.
Posted Image

#24 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

I know a guy who is dating a girl that is Muslim and she's suffered because of it. Her family is emotionally abusive and her father has physically abused her tons of times because of it. Of course when she finally got help, her mother convinced her to say that she had made everything up.

It's pretty sad. Especially when you know there's nothing you can do about it.

This isnt something that only happens in one community, many cultures are fighting the same ongoing battle.

Posted Image

#25 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,751 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Damn...

What a loon.

Not condoning her actions or anything near it but the mother is a victim. It doesn't matter what the religion is/was - there's no valid religion that promotes killing - not even Islam. There's passages in the Quran and the hadiths that say that people of a different religion CAN live harmoniously with Muslim people. If people actually get a chance to go off the beaten path and read the source, Islam is a really peaceful religion. It gets a bad rap because of people who deliberately misconstrue its meanings and pass it off as fact.

I can guarantee a lot of normal Muslim people will be shaking their heads at this story. They'll probably understand what the mom was feeling, but they'll never understand how someone can use religion as a basis to commit violence. It is completely against their nature.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#26 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,751 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I know a guy who is dating a girl that is Muslim and she's suffered because of it. Her family is emotionally abusive and her father has physically abused her tons of times because of it. Of course when she finally got help, her mother convinced her to say that she had made everything up.

It's pretty sad. Especially when you know there's nothing you can do about it.

This isnt something that only happens in one community, many cultures are fighting the same ongoing battle.

Their relationship shouldn't be based on "parental approval" especially if it's largely religious based. If they're decent people, who gives a frack what their religion is.

She should go to the police and file an assault report if he's laid even a hand on her face and body. The law is really clear about that stuff.

#27 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Damn...

What a loon.

Not condoning her actions or anything near it but the mother is a victim. It doesn't matter what the religion is/was - there's no valid religion that promotes killing - not even Islam. There's passages in the Quran and the hadiths that say that people of a different religion CAN live harmoniously with Muslim people. If people actually get a chance to go off the beaten path and read the source, Islam is a really peaceful religion. It gets a bad rap because of people who deliberately misconstrue its meanings and pass it off as fact.

I can guarantee a lot of normal Muslim people will be shaking their heads at this story. They'll probably understand what the mom was feeling, but they'll never understand how someone can use religion as a basis to commit violence. It is completely against their nature.

Have you read the Quran or hadiths? I agree that honour killings like this aren't sanctioned in Islamic scripture, but other types of killings certainly are.
Posted Image

#28 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Their relationship shouldn't be based on "parental approval" especially if it's largely religious based. If they're decent people, who gives a frack what their religion is.

She should go to the police and file an assault report if he's laid even a hand on her face and body. The law is really clear about that stuff.

Of course it shouldnt be based on that. I know he's far more than just a decent guy. Does that make a difference to her parents? No. They're still crazy as hell.

Like I said, she was convinced by her mother to say that she had lied. The system cant help any further than that.

Posted Image

#29 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,751 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Have you read the Quran or hadiths? I agree that honour killings like this aren't sanctioned in Islamic scripture, but other types of killings certainly are.

Where in the Quran/hadiths does it suggest violence and death to force people to comply with the Islamic religion?

Don't source Saudi Arabia/Iran.

#30 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,821 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Primitive people in the 21st century still following the ways of the book and cult designed to control primitive people.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.