The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Muslim Mother Arrested & On Trial For Attempting To Kill Outgoing Daughter

Sharpshooter

There have been a few killing and attempts in bc as well.

A dad didn't like his daughter's new white boyfriend so he killed her.

so happy that the Muslim's I had as friends in school grew up as moderate peaceloving folk, just like most of the rest of us.

I know a guy who is dating a girl that is Muslim and she's suffered because of it. Her family is emotionally abusive and her father has physically abused her tons of times because of it. Of course when she finally got help, her mother convinced her to say that she had made everything up.

It's pretty sad. Especially when you know there's nothing you can do about it.

This isnt something that only happens in one community, many cultures are fighting the same ongoing battle.

Damn...

What a loon.

Not condoning her actions or anything near it but the mother is a victim. It doesn't matter what the religion is/was - there's no valid religion that promotes killing - not even Islam. There's passages in the Quran and the hadiths that say that people of a different religion CAN live harmoniously with Muslim people. If people actually get a chance to go off the beaten path and read the source, Islam is a really peaceful religion. It gets a bad rap because of people who deliberately misconstrue its meanings and pass it off as fact.

I can guarantee a lot of normal Muslim people will be shaking their heads at this story. They'll probably understand what the mom was feeling, but they'll never understand how someone can use religion as a basis to commit violence. It is completely against their nature.

I know a guy who is dating a girl that is Muslim and she's suffered because of it. Her family is emotionally abusive and her father has physically abused her tons of times because of it. Of course when she finally got help, her mother convinced her to say that she had made everything up.

It's pretty sad. Especially when you know there's nothing you can do about it.

This isnt something that only happens in one community, many cultures are fighting the same ongoing battle.

Damn...

What a loon.

Not condoning her actions or anything near it but the mother is a victim. It doesn't matter what the religion is/was - there's no valid religion that promotes killing - not even Islam. There's passages in the Quran and the hadiths that say that people of a different religion CAN live harmoniously with Muslim people. If people actually get a chance to go off the beaten path and read the source, Islam is a really peaceful religion. It gets a bad rap because of people who deliberately misconstrue its meanings and pass it off as fact.

I can guarantee a lot of normal Muslim people will be shaking their heads at this story. They'll probably understand what the mom was feeling, but they'll never understand how someone can use religion as a basis to commit violence. It is completely against their nature.

Their relationship shouldn't be based on "parental approval" especially if it's largely religious based. If they're decent people, who gives a frack what their religion is.

She should go to the police and file an assault report if he's laid even a hand on her face and body. The law is really clear about that stuff.

Of course it shouldnt be based on that. I know he's far more than just a decent guy. Does that make a difference to her parents? No. They're still crazy as hell.

Like I said, she was convinced by her mother to say that she had lied. The system cant help any further than that.

Afghanis, Pakistani's, and others i'm sure.

Although, the one commonality that I seem with most 'honour killing' incidences, the thread of commonality seems to be the Islamic religion. There have been some cases of Sikh 'honour killings' as well in Canada and India too though, over the decades. One quite famous one as I recall, but as of late it seems to be the muslims making the headlines in this area. Maybe the Sikhs figured things out? I dunno.

I would argue that Sikh's don't really have "Honour" killings. If a Sikh kills his own child or spouse, then they must be crazy.

If a husband or wife has an affair with another, then the cheating spouse will receive a beating but not killed.

Same goes with children, if a child misbehaves or does something very wrong then they will also receive a beating. Does not matter if it's a boy or a girl.

Beatings are the usual norm in Sikh culture, but not killing. At least for me and everyone I know.

Damn...

What a loon.

Not condoning her actions or anything near it but the mother is a victim. It doesn't matter what the religion is/was -there's no valid religion that promotes killing - not even Islam.There's passages in the Quran and the hadiths that say that people of a different religion CAN live harmoniously with Muslim people. If people actually get a chance to go off the beaten path and read the source, Islam is a really peaceful religion. It gets a bad rap because of people who deliberately misconstrue its meanings and pass it off as fact.

Not sure if the trial is over or continuing. The cross-examination was continuing as of Oct. 3rd.

I'll update the OP if I find anything further about this case.

I find it ironic that this family may have come here for freedom but continued to practice a religion and hold to cultural ideals that impinge on freedom for their family. Sad that the mother went to these lengths to force her religion and cultural standards on her daughter. I was genuinely surprised that it was the father who saved her.

Archived