The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Muslim Mother Arrested & On Trial For Attempting To Kill Outgoing Daughter

Sharpshooter

I did not say that it never happens, but that it is very rare or not supposed to happen.

The more common thing is a beating if someone goes out of line or goes against some thing or some one.

I mean this could be said about any culture, but I just don't know too much about other cultures. A "honour" killing is frowned upon in Sikh religion, I can't say the same about other religions because I just don't know much about them.

Again, I don't see the connection in this case. The mother used her own judgement to try and murder the child. Is this another case of Sharpshooter trying real hard to find dirt against religion? Being a psychopath doesn't really require a religion.

True. I mean based on the logic of connecting religion with this incident, it would be similar to linking American culture with a rape incident or child molestation. These incidents happen across all cultures and we can't point our fingers to just one culture or religion.

Really?

Do you think I of all people would need to even try 'real hard' to find dirt if I wanted to?

This is one case where it seems a clash of cultures as well as the religious and traditional heritage of a homeland long left coming back to visit itself on kids who don't seem to want to have anything to do with it, but can't escape it easily either....or at all for this particular young lady. I have no or at least had no intentions of bashing all muslims with the same club or to portray many of them as anything less than lovely people, at least the ones i've met face to face or grown up with since childhood.

Are any of the topics or threads I start, false in the information presented in their original posts?

It seems to me at least, that perhaps i'm not the one that's reflecting Islam in a negative light, but rather it's those that make the headlines as followers of Islam that are reflecting Islam in a negative light. It's also possible that whatever negativity is found inherently in Islam cannot escape a little poor reflection of itself when shown for what it is when exposed to a little sunlight.

If you accept Islam, then accept the good along with the bad. Accept that as a man made religion, Islam is not beyond criticism or being exposed to the forces of critical thought and examination.

People of various cultures and religions need to take a little time for introspection when headlines like this are brought into the public square for exposure, debate and criticism. That's how people learn and how cultures and draconian traditions evolve and change, hopefully for the better and more civilized.

And you ask any of our Christian brethren on this Board if I only tend to pick my spots by focusing on muslim related topics.

You seem to be really obsessed with these stuff. First of all, I doubt you would've posted these topics pre 9/11 and that goes for all people and media. I could probably find similar articles about any other religion. There are so many fracked up people in this world that do these things and that is why I don't see the connection between religion and this type of incident. How about those non-religious people that go on a killing spree? Is there a reason they do it? How about Luka Magnotta? Was there a reason why he killed that Chinese student? In this specific incident that you posted, religion wasn't responsible for the killing, it was the mother. Am not a Muslim but I don't find how Islam is also responsible for actions of psychopaths. I guess if this was a non-religious person doing it, you wouldn't post it here.

How could I post it here when the Board wasn't here pre-2001? And the attacks on the World Trade Center were tied to an adherence to Islam. There's no doubt about that. You'd have to be in denial of reality to think otherwise.

If you don't see the connection between religion, culture and violence, then what can I tell you? Everyone else that sees it must be wrong then, eh?

This mother in the OP is not a psychopath. She does not meet the criteria of psychopathy. You should learn the meaning of words before using them incorrectly.

And if you're not muslim, then why are you so vociferously defending it in all threads that bring it up in any manner of criticism? Are you from a muslim family but who doesn't personally practice the religion? Are you descended from a country that identifies itself as Islamic? Cause you don't seem to defend Christians as vocally i've noticed. Or are you just denying that you're a muslim in order to not appear like you have a vested interest?

That is because most of the threads here are about Muslims and Islam. It makes it feel like this board is anti-Muslim or anti-religion sometimes. You could have your opinion but it seems we are always discussing about this topic endlessly. I responded to this topic because I didn't see any connection between this specific incident and religion. I also view anyone who kills their child for stupid reasons as a psychopath. I mean, would a normal person ever kill their child? There must be something wrong with their brain.

That is because most of the threads here are about Muslims and Islam. It makes it feel like this board is anti-Muslim or anti-religion sometimes. You could have your opinion but it seems we are always discussing about this topic endlessly. I responded to this topic because I didn't see any connection between this specific incident and religion. I also view anyone who kills their child for stupid reasons as a psychopath. I mean, would a normal person ever kill their child? There must be something wrong with their brain.

I don't think any threads critiquing Islam has ever been about anti-muslims....in the sense of being anti-people who submit to Islam. At least i've never, i don't believe, ever been anti-anyone who believes in that religion, even if I tend to be anti-religion. And most of the threads on the first page, let alone this forum are not about muslims or Islam. That's just poor perception, and it's too bad you perceive that as a reality. It in fact isn't reality though. The connection between the Islamic traditions and the actions are quite clear actually. Islam is a very patriarchal religion, mostly because it was created to reflect the tribal patriarchy of those tribes in the Middle East, from which it emerged.

It seems that the mother in this situation, after being raised in this tradition tradition of patriarchy felt that the daughter's brazen rebellion against these Islamized traditions were not only an affront to the honour of her family but perhaps her religion and herself as a muslim mother as well. Now, i'm not suggesting that killing your daughter is prescribed by Islam, but, the pressures of Islam seem to have established a connection in that rebelliousness of it or of your family that raised you as a muslim, has in the past, as the mother has been accustomed to, being solved through violent prescriptions. Hence the connection between the attempted honour killing, which the mother said would "be good for you", and the islamized structure that their family and their culture live under.

Archived