73 replies to this topic

#31 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Booth was a cap dump but he isn't exactly worthless. Having two UFAs allowed them to free up cap for cheaper alternatives.

Also, Booth was not Florida's best winger. Versteeg...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#32 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

Why am I Extremely Stupid? David Booth was a cap dump to us, and David Booth would be a cap dump from us if he were to be traded by us.

Do you disagree with this?

Yup, completely disagree. We gave up Sturm (cap dump) and Samuelsson (decent) for Booth who is a great player in my books who brings, heart, speed, skill, size, strengt and lot of different dynamics to our line-up.

Booth is a beauty and I have no idea how you came up with this ridiculous idea that he's a "cap dump"?? :picard:
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#33 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Are there people out there that actually believe Sturm & Samuelsson for Booth was a bad trade for Vancouver?

#34 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

well Booth..that's 4.5 million tied up in a Detroit Red Wing..

Booth to Detroit for Todd Bertuzzi and the one and only Brenden Morrison..just kidding..
Detroit doesn't have the rights to Brenden Morrison

that's like not gonna happen

and then Markus Naslund comes out of retirement
to solidify the other 2 million

Naslund 2M
Morrison 1M
Bertuzzi 2M

for 4.5M
David Booth

I would trade that in a heartbeat...

but then Canucks dot com. would get all mad at me..and stuff.. :towel:

would make a 5M dollar great 3rd line tho

Edited by VanCityScout, 12 October 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#35 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've been waiting for the Lu trade since spring.
Posted Image

#36 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

I think that we shouldn't trade anyone, because we can't.
Posted Image

#37 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Keith Ballard 4.2M

who on earth signed this contract

I mean the idea is to win hockey games

#38 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Entertaining thread read...

Booth wasn't a cap dump. It is the Florida Panthers we are talking about - cap space is a non-issue - they always have galaxies of cap space - but you might say they are a budget conscious team haha - which has a bottomless pool of emerging prospects to pay in the near future...

Samuelsson - 3 million
Sturm - 2.25 million

Booth - 4.25

#39 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

cap space

Canucks are like 3rd last in the league @ 2.5M

only the Bruins and Wild have less @ 1.5M

they had all summer and now into fall to get things rolling

same mess

12M goalie tandem still awake in the grass

someone has to go in there and clean house already

out with the old and in with the new.

Edited by VanCityScout, 12 October 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#40 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hodgson
just traded em already

#41 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:43 AM

hey OP...
I'm cool with Booth,
Red says you're a dumbass!

#42 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

well lets see raymond had his back broken so you can't really judge him on last season, the fact he played at all is impressive.
booth was actually playing good when he got kneed in colorado.
giving up on players too early is a great way to ruin the franchise. Ballards a good d-man but AV clearly has a dislike for this guy based on that i would move ballard. his contract looked bad but after what guys where signing for last season i'd say it's market value.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#43 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Yup, completely disagree. We gave up Sturm (cap dump) and Samuelsson (decent) for Booth who is a great player in my books who brings, heart, speed, skill, size, strengt and lot of different dynamics to our line-up.

Booth is a beauty and I have no idea how you came up with this ridiculous idea that he's a "cap dump"?? :picard:

He was a cap dump. Florida traded him for two veterans with expiring contracts; by definition, that is a cap dump.

And his status has not changed since being a Canuck. So-so production, not horrible but not excellent, completely MIA in the playoffs, and certainly not worth $4.25M per year.

#44 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

Are there people out there that actually believe Sturm & Samuelsson for Booth was a bad trade for Vancouver?

Yes, me. Best move would've been to not sign Sturm to begin with, and to hang on to Samuelsson. David Booth is not worth $4.25M per year. Florida knew this, which is why they traded him for two veterans on expiring contracts (cap dump).

#45 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

Entertaining thread read...

Booth wasn't a cap dump. It is the Florida Panthers we are talking about - cap space is a non-issue - they always have galaxies of cap space - but you might say they are a budget conscious team haha - which has a bottomless pool of emerging prospects to pay in the near future...

Samuelsson - 3 million
Sturm - 2.25 million

Booth - 4.25

Samuelsson & Sturm's contracts expired July 1, 2012; David Booth's salary expires on July 1, 2015. Big difference. The goal of this move, from Florida's perspective, was to simply get rid of David Booth's contract - a cap dump.

If it wasn't a cap dump, we would've had to part ways with picks, prospects, or other consideration. All we had to give up was Marco Sturm, who's signing made zero sense to begin with, and Mikael Samuelsson, a veteran also on an expiring contract.

#46 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Booth didn't play a full season with the team yet and it took him a bit to adjust to the team and when he found his game injuries occured. You can't expect him to be the best player on the team with only a year being here. Booth and Kesler together showed potential, having both on their A-game and we finally have a solid 2 lines that could take us to the finals :D

It would help if Kesler would remember that as a centre, he needs to dish the puck more often.

Kesler is actually a decent passer, but after scoring 41 goals that year, it's kind of gone to his head. If Kesler were to embrace being a playmaker a bit more, I could see Booth scoring 25+ goals a season.

RIP LB RR PD

#47 the boards

the boards

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Wow, I miss hockey...
Raymond can go, but Booth? Would totally depend upon what comes back, or what RFA/UFA we would spend the money on...
Of the dwarves, little is said.

#48 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

yeee

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#49 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Samuelsson & Sturm's contracts expired July 1, 2012; David Booth's salary expires on July 1, 2015. Big difference. The goal of this move, from Florida's perspective, was to simply get rid of David Booth's contract - a cap dump.

If it wasn't a cap dump, we would've had to part ways with picks, prospects, or other consideration. All we had to give up was Marco Sturm, who's signing made zero sense to begin with, and Mikael Samuelsson, a veteran also on an expiring contract.

To repeat - salary cap floor teams don't make "cap dump" deals - there is no cap space issue. The Panthers are a budget team - their issue is salary - and they had Fleishman at 4.5 million, Booth at 4.25, Upshall at 3.5 and Bergenheim at 2.75 - do the math - for a floor team, that is 15 million dollars tied up in left wings. That is an imbalance that Tallon no doubt sought to remedy. I'd be willing to bet he'd have preferred not to move a guy who scored 22, 31 and 23 goals (and a 20+ goal pace in his injury seasons) who also throws 100+ hits a year, has good size, skates exceptionally well.... (4.25 is what guys like that who play in the top 6 cost) - something had to give in Florida and neither Upshall nor Bergenheim were going to land a Samuelsson. Tallon made it clear that he wanted more veteran presence to mix with the Panthers youth (and also has Howden on the wing) - Tallon received good value in Samuelsson - Booth was not a cap dump. The Panthers were balancing their lineup and budget - and the fact that they have a whole stable of young marquis prospects who are not going to be cheap to re-sign - and they don't have the budget (to repeat, they have oodles of cap space) factors in. They also moved another LW, Frolik - for a prospect RW - Jack Skille - - now if you insist upon calling something a cap dump, there's your candidate - ironically, one that you now want us to give up value to acquire. Derp.
The Canucks clearly shed cap - they moved 5.25 and brought back 4.25. Simple math.
Booth had 16 goals in 56 games - on pace for a 24 goal season - despite a serious knee injury, and playing with a center who was also hobbling, and a right winger who returned from serious back surgery. You protest too much, really.

Edited by oldnews, 13 October 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#50 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

NO MOAR RAEYMUND

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#51 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yes, me. Best move would've been to not sign Sturm to begin with, and to hang on to Samuelsson. David Booth is not worth $4.25M per year. Florida knew this, which is why they traded him for two veterans on expiring contracts (cap dump).

But we did sign him.

Edit: So just to be clear, and assuming no other trades happened, you think keeping Sturm and Samuelsson would have been better for the team than having Booth?

Edited by CookieCrumbs, 13 October 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#52 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

well Booth..that's 4.5 million tied up in a Detroit Red Wing..

Booth to Detroit for Todd Bertuzzi and the one and only Brenden Morrison..just kidding..
Detroit doesn't have the rights to Brenden Morrison

that's like not gonna happen

and then Markus Naslund comes out of retirement
to solidify the other 2 million

Naslund 2M
Morrison 1M
Bertuzzi 2M

for 4.5M
David Booth

I would trade that in a heartbeat...

but then Canucks dot com. would get all mad at me..and stuff.. :towel:

would make a 5M dollar great 3rd line tho

What the hell are you talking about?

#53 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm not sure what you two are talking about, Booth was Florida's best winger

Uhh, no.
He was on their third line at the time and Fleischmann(sp?) And I believe it was Bergenheim were both above him in the depth chart.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#54 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Uhh, no.
He was on their third line at the time and Fleischmann(sp?) And I believe it was Bergenheim were both above him in the depth chart.

Yeah he was struggling but come on.

I was looking at Florida's boards last summer and I remember reading a thread about the Booth trade and a fan said that "we traded our best winger".

So if they considered him there best, I do too. Yes he was struggling but in his overall time there he was probably there best.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 13 October 2012 - 09:46 PM.

zackass.png

#55 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

A fan on their message board said that he was Florida's best winger? And so?

#56 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

its funny when one idiot on here speaks up the other idiots get all confident and all of a sudden you got like 5-6 goofs all saying the same stupid crap
Posted Image

#57 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

You're not the best candidate to call other people "idiots".

#58 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

No! No! You guys have it all wrong!

Booth was definitely not a cap dump, but Reinprecht on the other hand was. Booth was actually liked by the fans and he was great for them. He and Stephen Weiss were really good friends, it seemed like.

They traded Booth because they wanted a solid veteran presence in their line up. They needed to fill out some holes they had. If anything it was a steal of a deal for us. I mean Booth is about to hit his prime soon and will dominate, along with Kesler.

If Kassian gets up to speed within the next 2 years, then we are going to have one hell of a line with Booth-Kesler-Kassian.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#59 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

Tallon made it clear that he wanted more veteran presence to mix with the Panthers youth (and also has Howden on the wing) - Tallon received good value in Samuelsson - Booth was not a cap dump. The Panthers were balancing their lineup and budget - and the fact that they have a whole stable of young marquis prospects who are not going to be cheap to re-sign - and they don't have the budget (to repeat, they have oodles of cap space) factors in.

You are nuts if you think that Booth wasn't a cap dump. If Booth was so valuable, you really think that Tallon couldn't have found something better around the NHL than 2 veterans on expiring contracts - the definition of a cap dump? He had no interest in retaining either Sturm or Samuelsson, from the get-go, which is obvious to all that aren't biased Canuck fans who view this as a "hockey trade".

"Balancing his lineup with veterans" is funny, seeing as in the summer added Jovanovski, Upshall, Campbell, etc. The goal was to get rid of David Booth's bloated contract, an objective very obvious to anyone but the biased Canuck fan like yourself.

#60 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

But we did sign him.

Edit: So just to be clear, and assuming no other trades happened, you think keeping Sturm and Samuelsson would have been better for the team than having Booth?

I don't like Booth at all, so I'll say yes. $4.25M for the next 3 seasons is scary. He's just not a very good player, IMO. Can't see it working out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.