Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(proposal) move raymond to center

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

i dont think raymond has the play style to be a winger. he doesnt work the corners all that well and he can use his speed up the middle to free up players on the wings. unlike what most people think he is fairly good defensively if he works on his faceoffs he can be a good 3rd line centerman and fill the need of our 3rd line center position without having to sign anyone. manny can help mentor him for his faceoffs and positioning as a checking line centerman, while he can still produce offensively with his talent. with the lockout he has enough time to learn how to take faceoffs and get accustomed to a center position and if this little experiment with him as a centerman doesnt work we always have lapierre and malholtra that can fill in the 3rd line.
this would be our lineup with him as the 3rd line center

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)
Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,768,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,431,667
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#2 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Or remove Raymond from the team in general.

Edited by Badassian9, 12 October 2012 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

#3 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

i'd rather move him to center on another team.

#4 Cucumber

Cucumber

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

This might work actually I would try it for a few games to see how he does if he is good leave him them.

sedins burrows
booth kesler higgins
kassian(if ready)/tough guy raymond hansen
lappy manny weise

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,267 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

i'd rather move him to center on another team.

This.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Some of Raymond's best games were on the third line. But as far as I know he's never played centre and that's a big adjustment to make. Your third line starts most of their ice time in the defensive zone, and those are must win faceoffs. Even if you lose the draw you have to be defensively sounds enough to get the puck back. I have no issue trying Raymond at the 3C role for a game or two, but I think he's better suited on the wing.

#7 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Raymond could really shine as the Leaf's top centre.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

we have 2 better checking line centres in manny and lappy.

raymond needs a fresh start on a new team.... or a shock collar around his neck that shocks him if he's had the puck for more than 5 seconds and hasnt passed it yet.. and maybe some kind of strap on the back of his helmet that hooks to his jersey and forces him to have his head up and looking for linemates.

his problem isnt falling down, its he holds on to the puck so long weaving around the offensive zone that they realize he is not going to pass it and double team him. this results in him falling down so much

#9 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Raymond could really shine as the Leaf's top centre.

There would be a whole lot of drinking in Leaf town...

qrak1x.jpg

#10 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I've taken the time to draw up a play-board to demonstrate what I'd expect from Raymond at center:

X demonstrates where I'd expect a weak shot, blotches are potential fall down locations.

Posted Image

FxfBlgI.png

#11 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,509 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

Some of Raymond's best games were on the third line. But as far as I know he's never played centre and that's a big adjustment to make. Your third line starts most of their ice time in the defensive zone, and those are must win faceoffs. Even if you lose the draw you have to be defensively sounds enough to get the puck back. I have no issue trying Raymond at the 3C role for a game or two, but I think he's better suited on the wing.

He has. I believe he used to in junior, and has even filled in short term at center for the Canucks. He's reasonable in open play (good defensively, speedy on the forecheck and breakouts) but isn't traditionally strong as a faceoff guy which is important for a 3rd line role. It's essentially similar to us having used Higgins there in the past.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#12 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

I've taken the time to draw up a play-board to demonstrate what I'd expect from Raymond at center:

X demonstrates where I'd expect a weak shot, blotches are potential fall down locations.

Posted Image

^Hahaha spot on. ::D

But naw, I feel he's gonna reestablish a name for himself this season (If there is one).
Center might be a good idea.
I'd at least try it out for a couple games.

Edited by Tystick, 12 October 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image

#13 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

His career faceoff pct is around 35% on about 250 taken. Not very good. If he switched to center he could probably move up to around 45%
Sig too big.

#14 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

He has. I believe he used to in junior, and has even filled in short term at center for the Canucks. He's reasonable in open play (good defensively, speedy on the forecheck and breakouts) but isn't traditionally strong as a faceoff guy which is important for a 3rd line role. It's essentially similar to us having used Higgins there in the past.

Thanks for the correction.

From what I can see the Canucks don't have a solid 3rd line centre, Lappy is better suited for the 4th line and Manny isn't what he use to be. So why not give Raymond a try, if he is terrrible Coach V will know quickly and adjust the lines.

#15 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the correction.

From what I can see the Canucks don't have a solid 3rd line centre, Lappy is better suited for the 4th line and Manny isn't what he use to be. So why not give Raymond a try, if he is terrrible Coach V will know quickly and adjust the lines.

That doesn't sound right.

FxfBlgI.png

#16 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

His career faceoff pct is around 35% on about 250 taken. Not very good. If he switched to center he could probably move up to around 45%

if manny mentors him and he practices faceoffs more often i think he can move up to around 50-55%. we have one of the best faceoff men in the league on our team and he can pass along his secrets and techniques to mayray
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#17 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

His low faceoff winning % doesn't really go along with our possession style of play.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#18 Red-Haired_Shanks

Red-Haired_Shanks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

His low faceoff winning % doesn't really go along with our possession style of play.

you guys dont read my proposals do you?

i dont think raymond has the play style to be a winger. he doesnt work the corners all that well and he can use his speed up the middle to free up players on the wings. unlike what most people think he is fairly good defensively if he works on his faceoffs he can be a good 3rd line centerman and fill the need of our 3rd line center position without having to sign anyone. manny can help mentor him for his faceoffs and positioning as a checking line centerman, while he can still produce offensively with his talent. with the lockout he has enough time to learn how to take faceoffs and get accustomed to a center position and if this little experiment with him as a centerman doesnt work we always have lapierre and malholtra that can fill in the 3rd line.

​hes not good now but if he gets better like i was explaining he can be 3rd line center
NHL! WHY YOU LOCKOUT!

#19 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 7,274 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

you guys dont read my proposals do you?

​hes not good now but if he gets better like i was explaining he can be 3rd line center

That's where you lose me, I can't see Raymond getting better :P
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#20 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I don't understand why you're still defending this half baked proposal. If worse comes to worse just use Ebbett as a centre, he's also quick and can back check. Difference between him and Raymond is Ebbett has heart.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#21 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

I don't understand why you're still defending this half baked proposal. If worse comes to worse just use Ebbett as a centre, he's also quick and can back check. Difference between him and Raymond is Ebbett has heart.

Don't forget balance.

FxfBlgI.png

#22 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

we already tried that a few years ago.... and it didn't work out that well.
Posted Image

#23 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

A centre who doesn't pass, lacks vision, his puck control consists of him skating in circles, and has an average shot at best. He doesn't play physical, nor does he have the strength/technique to tie up players. Raymond as the centre would be a poor man's Ryan Johnson.

#24 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Swap Raymond with Rome, maybe that will work.

AV? Eh?

/=S=/

#25 Kassian

Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

lol wtf

Posted Image

#26 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,730 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Rather have Schroeder at center over him. Raymond is good defensively, but his balance sucks. So I wouldn't trust him to anchor a line when he's always going down.

#27 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

Rather have Schroeder at center over him. Raymond is good defensively, but his balance sucks. So I wouldn't trust him to anchor a line when he's always going down.

Schroeder as your third line centre? I hope we meet in the playoffs! If Schroeder makes your team it has to be in the top 6.

#28 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

He'd definitely have to put on some muscle for this to happen...

I'd have no issue if MG gave him the Hodgson treatment.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#29 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

move him to the moon and he'd still fall down.

#30 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Move Raymond to 3rd d pairing and move Ballard to 3rd line left winger. You can thank me later.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.