The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) move raymond to center

i dont think raymond has the play style to be a winger. he doesnt work the corners all that well and he can use his speed up the middle to free up players on the wings. unlike what most people think he is fairly good defensively if he works on his faceoffs he can be a good 3rd line centerman and fill the need of our 3rd line center position without having to sign anyone. manny can help mentor him for his faceoffs and positioning as a checking line centerman, while he can still produce offensively with his talent. with the lockout he has enough time to learn how to take faceoffs and get accustomed to a center position and if this little experiment with him as a centerman doesnt work we always have lapierre and malholtra that can fill in the 3rd line.

this would be our lineup with him as the 3rd line center

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,768,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,431,667

Some of Raymond's best games were on the third line. But as far as I know he's never played centre and that's a big adjustment to make. Your third line starts most of their ice time in the defensive zone, and those are must win faceoffs. Even if you lose the draw you have to be defensively sounds enough to get the puck back. I have no issue trying Raymond at the 3C role for a game or two, but I think he's better suited on the wing.

we have 2 better checking line centres in manny and lappy.

raymond needs a fresh start on a new team.... or a shock collar around his neck that shocks him if he's had the puck for more than 5 seconds and hasnt passed it yet.. and maybe some kind of strap on the back of his helmet that hooks to his jersey and forces him to have his head up and looking for linemates.

his problem isnt falling down, its he holds on to the puck so long weaving around the offensive zone that they realize he is not going to pass it and double team him. this results in him falling down so much

Some of Raymond's best games were on the third line. But as far as I know he's never played centre and that's a big adjustment to make. Your third line starts most of their ice time in the defensive zone, and those are must win faceoffs. Even if you lose the draw you have to be defensively sounds enough to get the puck back. I have no issue trying Raymond at the 3C role for a game or two, but I think he's better suited on the wing.

He has. I believe he used to in junior, and has even filled in short term at center for the Canucks. He's reasonable in open play (good defensively, speedy on the forecheck and breakouts) but isn't traditionally strong as a faceoff guy which is important for a 3rd line role. It's essentially similar to us having used Higgins there in the past.

He has. I believe he used to in junior, and has even filled in short term at center for the Canucks. He's reasonable in open play (good defensively, speedy on the forecheck and breakouts) but isn't traditionally strong as a faceoff guy which is important for a 3rd line role. It's essentially similar to us having used Higgins there in the past.

you guys dont read my proposals do you?

i dont think raymond has the play style to be a winger. he doesnt work the corners all that well and he can use his speed up the middle to free up players on the wings. unlike what most people think he is fairly good defensively if he works on his faceoffs he can be a good 3rd line centerman and fill the need of our 3rd line center position without having to sign anyone. manny can help mentor him for his faceoffs and positioning as a checking line centerman, while he can still produce offensively with his talent. with the lockout he has enough time to learn how to take faceoffs and get accustomed to a center position and if this little experiment with him as a centerman doesnt work we always have lapierre and malholtra that can fill in the 3rd line.

​hes not good now but if he gets better like i was explaining he can be 3rd line center

Archived