The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worlds smallest V8 supercharged, Coolest thing ever!

WHL rocks

The world's smallest V8 Supercharged engine. The Coolest thing you'll see. I want one. Don't know what I would put it in though. Any ideas?

It would be so freakin fun to have one but its a bit pricey @ $7k per.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/02/world-smallest-supercharged-v8-enters-production/

Unless you're into model cars (like, really into them) you may not have heard of Conley Precision Enginesexternal-link.png. That's a shame.

Why? Because they build the Stinger 609, the world's smallest supercharged four-stroke V-8 engine, which has finally entered production.

At just 6.09 cubic inches (hence the name), or nearly 100 cc, it's a very small displacement V-8. Despite the small displacement, the engine revs to 10,000 rpm and produces 9 horsepower.

At just 14 inches long, 6 inches wide, and 10 inches tall (with the supercharger), the highly miniaturized V-8 weighs just 11.25 pounds. The entire engine is custom designed and built by Conley, with painstaking attention to detail and a surprisingly public development processexternal-link.png documented in the official build log.

Unlike many of the alternatives in the quarter-scale model world, the Stinger 609 looks, sounds, and runs almost exactly like a full-size V-8. Unfortunately, that level of realism and excellence will run you $7,000 per.

Read: Scientists create world's smallest electric 'car'

Does this have any practical value for anyone outside the model car (or perhaps the go-kart/scooter modifying) realm? No. But it's awesome, and we want one just to put on our desk and scare the pets.

Check out the video above for a quick walkthrough and test of the engine on the bench, and the video below for some more great sights and sounds of the tiny V-8.

I'd be impressed but the stock Stinger 609 gets 5.5 horsepower vs. the 9 the supercharged one has. Considering it's a 100cc engine, you can get a Triumph Street Triple Motorcycle with a 675cc engine and it puts out 105 bhp. The same engine in a Daytona 675 puts out 124 hp.

$7k pretty much buys 70% or 50% down on a Triumph.

Cool for having something so tiny. But for $7k I can buy a used motorcycle and still have money for new gear afterwords.

Archived